Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any idea on the tread life of the stock Brigestone tires that came on my 04 Z that is driven conservetively with mostly highway miles. I have over 8,000 on them now and they still look good. I hear people on the boards talk about tire feathering, but dont see anything like that on these.

·
Registered
598 Posts
i had 26k on mine before i replaced them with goodyear gs d3's. they were worn as normal for not rotating them for that period.
mdzowner

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As sort of a related newbie question, why did they put different size tires on the Z so you couldnt rotate them?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
They wanted bigger tires in the rear for better control. And they wanted directional tires for better treadwear.

However, the 2003 350Z had a problem with the front alignment, and we experienced serious Negative Camber type treadwear. My tires were down to nothing on the inside tread wall at about 20,000 miles. Then Nissan decided to send a "recall" notice out explaining the problem and offering to replace the tires and fix the problem.

I really would have liked them to fix the fvcking problems with the power windows...which I had repaired so many times, it is not even funny!!

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
I just got my tires replaced this week b/c of feathering at 13,200 miles

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got 20,000 miles out of my stock Potenzas before replacing them. The rear tires wore out first along the center rib.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i have 13.5k miles right now and my rears are worn very bad.

of course i have done a few donuts here and there. :)

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Originally posted by bluez@Oct 19 2004, 09:08 PM
i went through 2 sets of stock tires in about 4k miles each.

And what were you doing with them? Track? Burnouts? Donuts?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
You're lucky there wasn't more damage at that speed.
RE040's are poor in the wet. Add to that speed and no tread and I'm not suprised the tyres hydroplaned.
Glad you and the Z are ok.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
my rears were gone after 5K miles :biggrin: ,
then again after another 7K miles , came to conclusion that I should take it easy , tires cost $hit load of $$$...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well my front tires started feathering after I made this original post. So far I have about 11,200 on them, and they are going to be replaced by the dealer as soon as he can get some more OEM Bridgestones in. Said that they are on national back order. Probably because so many of the "Z" have front end alignment issues.
If you have a 2004, my suggestion is you take it in to the dealer and have him check the alignment before you get 12,000 miles on it. They said that mine has the "feathering" that everyone talks about. Said if I had waited over the 12,000 mile limit, they might not have been able to help me with the tires as the TSB only covers the 2003 model so far.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Originally posted by Rich@Nov 24 2004, 11:28 AM
Well my front tires started feathering after I made this original post.  So far I have about 11,200 on them, and they are going to be replaced by the dealer as soon as he can get some more OEM Bridgestones in.  Said that they are on national back order.  Probably because so many of the "Z" have front end alignment issues.
If you have a 2004, my suggestion is you take it in to the dealer and have him check the alignment before you get 12,000 miles on it.  They said that mine has the "feathering" that everyone talks about.  Said if I had waited over the 12,000 mile limit, they might not have been able to help me with the tires as the TSB only covers the 2003 model so far.

If you check them often it can be caught way earlier than that, mine started feathering at around 6K miles....then we slapped the Volks/toyos on her and got a real good alignment (not Nissan either) and she is fine.....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts