Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys
This is my first post in the forum. I have been around for a couple of weeks and the instructions given by you guys (specially Toykilla) have been very helpful for me. I just mounted my sound system by my self (using the instructions from the wiki section) and I need to replace my battery. The problem is that I don't know which one would fit. I read a post that someone recommended optima yellow top D35, but I dont know if that is a direct fitment because the + and - are in the opposite. So I dont know what is the real size of the battery. I'm very interested in Optima Yellow Top, if anyone has that battery please let me know. Thankyou

·
Premium Member
3,584 Posts
Just for info.,Consumer Reports Oct.06 has an article on rating of several (lots) of car batteries.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I cant say that I know this. I have only kept up with light weight batteries, not heavy duty full sized ones. Please update us if you find the answer.

I just measured my battery and seem that is almost the same size that the Optima Yellow top D35. The only problem are the terminals. Maybe I will need to install longer cables to reach the terminals. Any Idea????? :helpsmilie: :helpsmilie:

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did my research and the red top optima 35 has the terminal in the correct position. Maybe I go with that one since my previous car had a bigger sound system and was running one red top. That is weird that the yellow and the red are different :doh:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Guys I called the people at http://www.bigtimebattery.com/ and they told me that the D35 Yellow top picture from the Optima web site was incorrect. The poles looks the opposite of our car, but in reallity they are the same. I ordered and just mounted. Perfect fitment, no modification. The only thing is that is a little shorter in height, so the battery holder needs to be removed. I'm very happy with the purchase, great difference in the car and free shiping.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Just to add double verification, I ordered a D35 Yellow Top from http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/
I got it today and the post are correct for the Z, also the battery fits the tray fine and if you use the supplied base, the hight is the same as well. This battery is a direct drop in with no modifications.

On a side note, even though it was a direct drop in, its not like me to do anything easy. I decided to cut the supplied base and use it on the top of the battery for the hold down, lowering the battery in the car by about an inch. Will I notice, who knows, but I know the lower the weight the better so what the heck. I will post some pics tomorrow if anyone is interested.

Chris

·
Registered
248 Posts
I know a few people are running the D51R for an additional 11 pounds savings. Yes, a bracket would be needed. Since I have a SS bracket, I probably will be getting one soon.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Yeah, I thought about both the Braille and D51R.

The main reason I went with the D35 was because of my CarPC. I have it set to run 15 minutes after I shut the car down and sometimes I sit in the car playing games or watching a movie waiting to pick people up at the airport and stuff and latly in the cold weather my car has been hard to start. The stock battery still put out decent voltage but cranking amps suffered.

If I was not running the CarPC, I might have gone with one of the other choices although I did notice that the D51R has a lower run time and lower CCA than stock. On the otherhand, with its size, it might fit well in the glove box (or space behind the driver) laying on its side to get the weight lower in the car. If anyone has any ideas about doing this, remember you cant drill into the floor of that area because of the gas tank. It would be better to hang it from the rear roof area (forward trunk floor) with some big bolts, fender washers and some brakets.

Anyway, here are those pics. Two show a comparison to stock, while the other three show the cuts on the bottom braket fit on the top and it fully installed.

Chris

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts