Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Why not spend a couple of bucks and just by four jack stands? This will save you time, and they are not that expensive.
Already have jack stands, but to let your suspension hang like that makes me question if it can be hurting it, since the suspension is designed to carry the car's weight it's entire life (except when being serviced). It wouldn't be that big of a deal but since the car is going to be on stands for 7+months while winter's around.

Unfortunatly I don't have any spring compressors, what about the entire strut? How do you keep that compressed?

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Well, it's finally that time of the year for me. We're getting our first big snowstorm of the season. Fortunately for me, my Z has been resting on plush, old carpeting for a couple of weeks now. I will have to put her on jackstands soon, so she doesn't get flat spots. I'll also add some fuel stabilizer.

I plan on doing some modding this month. The modding will be simple stuff at first; just want to add some bling to the engine bay.

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
Well lets see....winter prep. I went to the store and got some hot Chocolate. Guess I am ready for winter. :biggrin:

I did get a little bag of marshmallows as well for the hot chocolate.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Well lets see....winter prep. I went to the store and got some hot Chocolate. Guess I am ready for winter. :biggrin:

I did get a little bag of marshmallows as well for the hot chocolate.
+1. Since I am so far North of you ... I need to pump up that hot Chocolate ....

Hot Butterscotch Cocoa
--------------------------

Ingredients:
3/4 oz Butterscotch schnapps
5 oz Hot chocolate
Whipped cream
Instructions:

Mix ingredients in coffee mug, top with whipped cream.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Ahh yes, It just started coming down here too in Ontario, The Z has been in the gareage for about 2 months now. Since my tires have to be replaced next season I don't have to worry about flat spots, something that does have my attention though is this fuel stabilizer. Does this need to be done t ensure the fuel system is not damaged? Or is this just to ensure you can use the tank of gas in the Z for next season?

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Ahh yes, It just started coming down here too in Ontario, The Z has been in the gareage for about 2 months now. Since my tires have to be replaced next season I don't have to worry about flat spots, something that does have my attention though is this fuel stabilizer. Does this need to be done t ensure the fuel system is not damaged? Or is this just to ensure you can use the tank of gas in the Z for next season?
It won't hurt to use it. I would not leave your car sitting for so long without adding something to the fuel. If you don't do it, you run the chance of having your gas turn gel-like. :dunno: It will gum up your injectors and what not if you let it sit for a long period of time.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I better get some then! I was just starting up the z and moving it backwards 5 feet and then forwards. I'm definitely pick some up.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
For some of us, it's that time of the year again. I'm planning on detailing my Z this weekend. I have tomorrow off, and it's supposed to be up to 70º which has to be a record up here in MN.

Anyway, what I plan on doing:

Clean the interior and treat the leather.
Wash the exterior.
Claybar some spots.
Wax the exterior.
Wax the wheels inside and out.
Clean the engine bay.
Change the oil.

Take pics. :biggrin:

Cover the car after the final pic is taken.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
QUOTE (BlueDragonZ @ Oct 6 2004, 02:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=23343
Well, summer came and gone, fall is here but winter is just around the corner. Are you guys keeping yor Z's in the garage or will you be driving? What do you do/use to prepare her for winter, detail wise anyway?

During the winter I do try not to drive her as mush especially if there's snow on the ground. I still try to wash her at least once a week and apply a coat of wax every other week, weather permits. I've already gotten a coat of 1Z Paint Polish along with a coat of NXT all applied using a PC. Of course nothing was applied until she was clay bared. Hopefully withn the next week or so I will repeat this again. The only difference is that I will be applying a couple coats of Klasse AIO before the NXT. I found out first hand that this is a great combo. :thumbsup:
No garage storage on the Z, it's driven during the winter. No winter prep... consider movig to the West coast, where driving is all year long with no storage nor prep, required.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I miss those days in SoCal, but being up north offers a nice twist to owning a car or bike that you have to put away for the winter. It's like a ritual with collectors around here, plus it's a treat to pull the car out in the Spring when everything is clear and safe to drive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My Z doesn't have the luxury of getting stored for the winter (unfortunately) but I was confused by some of the earlier posts on this thread. I was looking for winters tires and it seems that many people have the Bridgestone Blizzack Tires? for winter use. I was wondering if there are any rules of thumb for getting Blizzacks that work with the Z (2006) and also if I would need to get new rims (or should)?

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Depends upon how much you like your rims that you have on there. I wouldn't get caught dead driving on my volks in the snow/salt/crap. But if you have stock rims and don't really care about them then go ahead and get them fitted for blizzaks. They seem to be the most popular in snow tires for the Z.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I was just told yesterday that it's not a good idea to start the car up every so often if I'm going to winterize. Something to do with condensation in the oil and then having the water move through the engine w/o getting burned out. So I'm going to put the Z on jackstands and let her sit until I'm ready to drive it next Spring.

I would suggest getting those hedge balls that are sold in some specialty grocery stores. They deter mice and bugs. Place them strategically around the car like under the stands. And if you think you'll have water or mice problems, place a rag in each exhaust tip, then put a sandwich bag over the tip with a rubber band.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
It's that time of year again! The weather here has gotten worse and quickly, so I'm calling the insurance company and putting her into storage this week. :cry:

I'll take pics of how I'm going to store her this winter since it's going to be different than previous years.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thats interesting Dave, i thought the reason to start the cars up a couple of times a month was to make sure the seals and such got lubrication and kept from dry rotting?

As for those worried about flat spots, just move her a bit when you start it up, doesnt need to be a ton and has worked for me over the years. I use Stabil ( http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/default.aspx ) on my full tank of gas, keeps the gas fresh and your fuel system will be happy.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I thought the same thing, but I've also read that starting it up like that isn't good. Don't remember why, but I've done both. Some seasons, I don't start her for months, other times I'll do it every couple of weeks. Never really saw negative results from either method.

·
Registered
331 Posts
It's that time of year again! The weather here has gotten worse and quickly, so I'm calling the insurance company and putting her into storage this week. :cry:

I'll take pics of how I'm going to store her this winter since it's going to be different than previous years.
OK....it's almost two years later.....where are the pics?? lol

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I think I started a new thread. :lmfao:

Last year, I had to leave town quickly so I never got to do anything special or out of the ordinary.

And when I say left town in a hurry, I was ordered to go out of town and work for 10 weeks into the winter.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts