Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
This is Smooth's winter routine from above. It's pretty much the consensus for what people do during the winter
Originally posted by SmoothZ@Oct 6 2004, 10:00 AM
As for winterizing, here's what I normally do (or did):

1.  Full detail including waxing the wheels.
2.  Apply fabric softener sheets in engine bay (deters mice).
3.  Stuff a small rag in each exhaust tip, then wrap with plastic sandwich bag & rubber band (keeps out mice and moisture).
4.  Ensure that everything that doesn't need to be in the car is taken out.
5. Take out battery and place on wooden block (do not leave on concrete).
6.  If you have a car cover, use it.  Or several soft blankets.

Sometimes, I have been known to put the car on jackstands and take off the wheels.  However, other times I will just let the car sit and pull it out into the driveway for a few minutes of idling.  If the streets are super dry and the sun is out, I might take it for a drive (temps on these types of days are usually -30F or colder).

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Originally posted by DiRN+Nov 1 2004, 08:41 AM-->
This is Smooth's winter routine from above.  It's pretty much the consensus for what people do during the winter<!--QuoteBegin-SmoothZ
@Oct 6 2004, 10:00 AM
As for winterizing, here's what I normally do (or did):

1.  Full detail including waxing the wheels.
2.  Apply fabric softener sheets in engine bay (deters mice).
3.  Stuff a small rag in each exhaust tip, then wrap with plastic sandwich bag & rubber band (keeps out mice and moisture).
4.  Ensure that everything that doesn't need to be in the car is taken out.
5. Take out battery and place on wooden block (do not leave on concrete).
6.  If you have a car cover, use it.  Or several soft blankets.

Sometimes, I have been known to put the car on jackstands and take off the wheels.  However, other times I will just let the car sit and pull it out into the driveway for a few minutes of idling.  If the streets are super dry and the sun is out, I might take it for a drive (temps on these types of days are usually -30F or colder).

I am honored. :bow: Dirn

I'm still driving it, but it's great driving weather (temp wise) and my payments are too high to put away just yet.

If I'm lucky, it won't snow here...:cry: :lmfao: :rotflmao:

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
****, do you guys really have that many mice in MN? I'm not doing anything for my Z this winter, except praying for no snow.

It's 11/1, and it's about 75 degrees outside, so things are looking good so far!

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Originally posted by cedusett@Nov 1 2004, 12:12 PM
****, do you guys really have that many mice in MN?  I'm not doing anything for my Z this winter, except praying for no snow.

It's 11/1, and it's about 75 degrees outside, so things are looking good so far!

I'm just trying to cover all the bases. I hear horror stories about new cars with dead mice in the air ducts, or chewed up wiring around the engine bay.

You lucky dog! 75F in November. I remember those days when I lived in SoCal. I used to make fun of all my relatives up here. Now look where I'm at...:cry:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Add to winterizing...I put dow heavy cardboard on the concrete floor, its a very good insulation barrier. Some guys use carpeting. I also make up a dated chart and check off what dates I start the Z; engine running, using gears, reverse & etc. I place a blanket over my roadster top and weekly I used the California Duster (I don't have a cover) over the rest of the Z.

·
5,437 Posts
Well, like the title suggests, what are you all doing to prepare your Z's for winter?

If you hibernate your zed, post what you do for that also!

I'll start:

Today I shampoo'd my factory floor mats. Then when they were dry, I wrapped them in a clear hefty bag, and put them back into the z.

Then, I put a set of clear floor mats over the wrapped OEM ones. Should keep the moisture out of the carpets - something that can cause some serious odor later on in a car's life.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Uh, I wouldn't suggest the bagged mats. There's probably some moisture left in them, and by wrapping it you'll cause them to get hot and moldy. Just leave out the mats and replace them with clear mats for the winter.

If you're not driving the Z, just keep her interior clean and dry. You can even leave the OEM mats in the house.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yea, bagged mats sound like a bad idea, but I'm curious to hear any other tips people may have...

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Okay, it's that time of the year again. :cry:

So I'm :bump: the thread to see who's doing what. I have preliminary plans for this winter. One of my plans includes the new car cover I just got.

I've claybarred the Z two or three times this year so far (since I brought her out of hibernation in May). She's also got that many coats of wax. I will do at least one more serious detailing session to include prepping my leather and putting another coat of wax on.

I don't know what I'm going to do with the wheels. I have a section of carpet I can park the Z on, but I also want to take the wheels off to clean and wax. If I do that, I can't move the Z around and tuck her into one side of my garage.

If I leave the wheels on, then I can park her really close to the wall for more space/buffer for the next car in the garage.

This is what I had her like last year.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
It's that time....today. I won't be doing a research paper like KShep, but I plan on doing a full interior and exterior detailing. But first, I need to prep the garage and the carpet for the Z.

Nothing fancy here. I'm going to treat the leather interior after wiping everything down and vacuuming the mats (which I'll just bring inside and leave in my basement), then wash and wax the exterior. Don't really need to claybar since I've done that at least twice this year.

I might take pics.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Not doing anything different. We dont really get a winter here. Hasnt snowed since like 1988 here
I'm with Dave on this one. Uhhh .. Dave .. it snowed here (70mi from you) .. ummmm .. like two years ago. I distinctly remember the 1/2 inch of snow that lasted all that morning .. more or less. Ok. Lasted a couple of hours. Ok Ok. Lasted at LEAST an hour ...

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Screw the pics. Three hours is enough. As usual, she looks good. However, after looking at that pic above, I think I need a bbk. :lol:

Interior is clean and smells brand new. I didn't realize how dirty it was because when I finished wiping everything down, the sock turned black. That's probably because I like to drive with the windows rolled down all the time and dust collected in those places I normally don't see or think is dirty. I must remember to keep up on that.

I added another coat of Mother's liquid wax. I know I just waxed her not more than 2 months ago, but this will be the last coat until next spring.

As I was cleaning, I realized I forgot to do a last oil change. That means no carpet and car cover yet.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Screw the pics. Three hours is enough. As usual, she looks good. However, after looking at that pic above, I think I need a bbk. :lol:

I was thinking the same thing. :) :nana:

Ah.. must start getting Z ready for hibernation.

Thanks Smooth for the great list of tips above! I cerainly don't want any mouse poop in my ARC.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
On the second thought, I'll cover the Z up until I'm ready to do the oil change. No need to see dust settling on my baby over the next few days.

It's about 51º outside and a bit cloudy. I'm not going to drive her only because of the leaves and the fact my arms are about to fall off.

I have to remember to buy those hedge balls to place around my car. That is supposed to keep rodents away.

21 - 40 of 81 Posts