Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, summer came and gone, fall is here but winter is just around the corner. Are you guys keeping yor Z's in the garage or will you be driving? What do you do/use to prepare her for winter, detail wise anyway?

During the winter I do try not to drive her as mush especially if there's snow on the ground. I still try to wash her at least once a week and apply a coat of wax every other week, weather permits. I've already gotten a coat of 1Z Paint Polish along with a coat of NXT all applied using a PC. Of course nothing was applied until she was clay bared. Hopefully withn the next week or so I will repeat this again. The only difference is that I will be applying a couple coats of Klasse AIO before the NXT. I found out first hand that this is a great combo.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Not doing anything different. We dont really get a winter here. Hasnt snowed since like 1988 here

·
Registered
139 Posts
blizzaks on stock rims and prayers

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Originally posted by GSoccer24@Oct 6 2004, 09:25 AM
blizzaks on stock rims and prayers

I'm giving serious consideration to that as well.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Originally posted by Dave079@Oct 6 2004, 07:56 AM
Not doing anything different. We dont really get a winter here. Hasnt snowed since like 1988 here

Dave, this is gonna be your year...

As for winterizing, here's what I normally do (or did):

1. Full detail including waxing the wheels.
2. Apply fabric softener sheets in engine bay (deters mice).
3. Stuff a small rag in each exhaust tip, then wrap with plastic sandwich bag & rubber band (keeps out mice and moisture).
4. Ensure that everything that doesn't need to be in the car is taken out.
5. Take out battery and place on wooden block (do not leave on concrete).
6. If you have a car cover, use it. Or several soft blankets.

Sometimes, I have been known to put the car on jackstands and take off the wheels. However, other times I will just let the car sit and pull it out into the driveway for a few minutes of idling. If the streets are super dry and the sun is out, I might take it for a drive (temps on these types of days are usually -30F or colder).

If I remember anything else, I will edit and add. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Now that my friend is some preperation!

I plan to do a full detail and store her in the garage. Hopefully be able to take her out once a week or so depending if it's dry. Doesn't stay terribly cold in the mid atlantic region (guessing avg 30F in Jan, Feb) but it does snow occasionally.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Switch my rims/tires.
Fill my gas tank to 100%
2 coats of wax
park it November until April
Go into depression during that time.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Originally posted by Hugo1669@Oct 6 2004, 10:39 AM
Switch my rims/tires.
Fill my gas tank to 100%
2 coats of wax
park it November until April
Go into depression during that time.

I forgot about that gas tank issue.

Depression is another...

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Well I plan on the following detail regiment probably this weekend since it's supposed to be mild and no rain. Right now I have one coat of blackfire on and 4 layers of carnuba wax on her. The carnuba will not withstand the salt so that is getting stripped off...

1. Dawn wash
2. Claybar
3. Blackfire Gloss enhancing polish (comparable to cleaner wax)
4. 4-5 good coats of Blackfire All finish paint protection.

Before the snow hits I will wax my stock rims before putting them w/ the blizzaks back on Lucy. Then I have all winter to seal my Volks again...Also plan on getting another oil change and going from 10W30 to 5W30 for the cold start ups.

We don't have a garage, but our neighbor rents his out to us while he is in Florida over the winter, Dec thru April for $100 total, not bad. Just before she is garaged I hope to be able to do another full detail on her (putting on a few more layers of all finish paint protection) and then into hiding. At least I can go and look at her across the street when I want to. Only be driving her on nice dry days, and hopefully we are getting another car for me to drive over the winter. After winter, find someone to do an undercarriage detail for me...

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
<span style="color:darkblue">After the ECZA meet in early November, I'll be following Smooth's and Hugo's regiments. Lots of
for me too</span>

·
Registered
538 Posts
1) Take soft top off of Jeep.
2) Install hard top on Jeep.
3) Detail Z.
4) Park Z in garage.
5) Put car cover on Z.
6) Drive Jeep.
7) Switch TV to Weather Channel every 8 minutes, all winter, to see if it is going to snow and hope there is no salt on roads.
8) No snow, no salt...drive Z and start over at step 3.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's quite a preparation Smooth, I wish I was able to do that.

I was thinking of installing Blizzaks but since I now have a garage and a second car I shouldn't be driving her as much.

Jinxx, so you're really liking Blackfire huh? That's one of the products I haven't had a chance to try out yet. I'll probably try it next year after some Wolfgang products.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I'll be filling the hot tub and making sure the chemicals are right.
Also need to change the rope lighting on the deck, old ones not working.
Stock the bar.
Fill the ski with fuel and spray down all the interior engine compartment.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
How is that helping the Z? J/K!

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Originally posted by BlueDragonZ@Oct 6 2004, 10:50 PM
Jinxx, so you're really liking Blackfire huh? That's one of the products I haven't had a chance to try out yet. I'll probably try it next year after some Wolfgang products.

Yeah I love it, I love the way the blackfire makes the BY so deep and complex looking, makes the gold fleck really stand out. This summer I started putting carnuba wax on top and that make it pop even more, but w/ the harsh winters and chemicals they use here, the carnuba won't last long so just blackfire hard polymer for winter time.

LOL @ SCDOO2! Guess not much winter prep for yall down there in LA huh???

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't want to drive my Z in the winter... for many reasons....

My question is: what, if anything do I need to do to it? Or could I just let it sit?

I plan on starting it and letting it come up to temperature once a week or so... but what about the tires (dry rot)? Is there anything else I need to be concerned about?

~N

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Originally posted by DiRN@Oct 31 2004, 10:20 PM
Nate, merged your thread with one we had going already.  Definitely worth a read

:lol: Beat me, Dirn. I was trying to find that thread. Good job! :thumbsup:

I am sooooo tired. Partied Friday and Saturday and had to work Sunday. My Z is filthy (and it still looks clean under airport lighting), and the temps are dropping into the 30's and 40's...:help:

·
Registered
20 Posts
thanks fellas... i missed this one....

doesn't sound like anyone is doing anything special when they don't plan on driving their Z for a while...... But then again, the posts above seem to indicate some winter driving.... I'm going the route of *no* driving whatsoever (if I can stand it :)).... surely there must be something I need to do.

~N

1 - 20 of 81 Posts