Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was helping my friend take off his '350Z" emblems. We were careful and used a very thin piece of fishing string.

However, when we took it off, the paint was scarred underneath? It looks like Nissan put a clear coat right over the emblem? So now, the emblems are taken off and you can still see a "scar" of "350Z" without the emblems!

Anyone else have this problem?

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
Are you sure its actually imprinted into the paint and not something that can be cleaned off?

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Try heating up the area where the residue is left over, then wiping it with a towel and some Goo-gone. Should come right up for you. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This thread is useless without pictures. However, my friend and I tried and tried to remove it but you can see the surface paint beneath the emblems from the other portions of the car are different. It is not a reside because we used a 3M product that removes that stuff.

I am not sure if he is the original owner (I am posting for him and he is in Houston) however, what I did see other than this. I found rust spectacles in the weather seal that seals the trunk to the car.

Why would there would RUST spectacles in that area? I am thinking, maybe the car was in some sort of body shop?

Ill take pictures ASAP! :)

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
This thread is useless without pictures. However, my friend and I tried and tried to remove it but you can see the surface paint beneath the emblems from the other portions of the car are different. It is not a reside because we used a 3M product that removes that stuff.

I am not sure if he is the original owner (I am posting for him and he is in Houston) however, what I did see other than this. I found rust spectacles in the weather seal that seals the trunk to the car.

Why would there would RUST spectacles in that area? I am thinking, maybe the car was in some sort of body shop?

Ill take pictures ASAP! :)
He's in houston, is it possible that he bought a used Z, that was possibly in the New Orleans/MS coast area during Katrina? Water damage could be the cause of rust around the gaskets, and discolored paint under the emblems? :dunno: Carfax!

·
Registered
450 Posts
I agree with Jinxxy. If bought used I hope your friend ran "CarFax" or a similar car site. A Katrina Car :oops: :doh:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My friend just took a quick road trip to Houston for the holidays. But the car has been owned for nearly a year now and its been safe here in Tyler, TX.

Ill take pictures shortly.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

This is REALLY rust! Its not clay like we thought.

·
Registered
4 Posts
repainted?

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
i found the same problem when removing my rear emblem

the paint (base colored coat) was marred just beneath the clear coat in a small area. What would have happened is Nissan put the strong adhesive badge on before the clear coat had fully cured, and pulled the base coat

i put the mini nissan badge on (same as the engine cover) and its hid most of it, incl. the holes
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/scascone/126_2605.jpg

im not game enough to pull the 350Z off now, even though i know itll look better without it

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
wow, that looks bad. more concerned with how the rust got in that particular space over the emblem thing though. not a bad idea to run a carfax on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
.... it's my car. I bought it used in March of 05 at the dealership I recently worked for. I was the 2nd owner. I'm thinking it's just been repainted. I'm just going to see if I can find some adhesive and put the 350Z back on. Any suggestions for what adhesive to use?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi this is my first post here. I work in a body shop and it makes me sick that there are still chop shops out there that are too cheap or lazy to take off all parts before they refinish the panels. Advise to anyone. When ever you get an estimate make sure that you see R-I "remove and install" On parts and attached parts like door handles, mouldings, nameplates, bumpers, lamps, etc. And make sure they are doing that. You may have to spend more money. But then again you pay for what you get. It will be well worth it. And for your nameplate problem. DO yourself a favor and go and get a new one. They already come with adhesive on the back side. YOu wont be happy with the results of putting the old ones back on.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
I agree, I'd just spend the $20 or however much and get a new one, it will be spaced properly and the adhesive will be better than doing it yourself. :cheers: I would be very concerned about the rust in the hatch gasket. I don't see where it would come from if you don't see rust anywhere on the hatch :dunno: Maybe from the area where the hatch connects? That area holds a lot of water after washing......but it would have to have been sitting for a LONG time for it to accumulate that much rainwater and to have rusting occur. How long did it sit before you got it? Did it sit after an accident? I wouldn't be surprised if it has been wrecked.......

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
The rust looking gasket could be from the water used to wash the car. Some water supplies have high mineral content. ie: rust stains in toilet or tub from water sitting or dripping. As far as the rust specks, the car may have been sitting by something like a grinding wheel being used showering it with metal filings. It those were allowed to sit for long periods of time the metal filings would rust leaving small rust stains. Where does your friend work? park on a regular basis? I'd look into the environment the car has been around. Did these things just occur or is this the first time inspecting the car? Try claybarring the rust spot areas.

Sorry if I seem doubtful, but if the car has been in the current owners possession since Mar. and it's now Dec., and these spots are just being noticed I would think either your friend is not observant (how often does he wash/wax his Z) or this is something that occured recently and needs attention.

Additional note: Red clay stains like rust, so even if it is not actual clay it could be the stain left from red clay.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts