Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well out of all of the kits we have installed one of our customers had the first engine failure, he had the Turbonetics installed, in case you have not seen it on the "other" board here is some info.

I felt so bad for the guy, he has done some very nice work on his Z and only had the kit installed for a short period, plus he had blown his engine before in NA form.

His problems seem to have started after he installed an exhaust, not sure what he got. It just seems that if you install this kit and to be safe you better have a stock car and not do any mods that may effect boost and increase it and put you in the danger zone, it seems like these instances are starting to pop up

Personally I just think an FI 350Z should not be run with just an ECU reflash, it cannot sense boost and keep managing when it increases due to mods. Probably better to get a piggyback and a lower psi spring for the wategate and add a boost controller. I would consider the kit as a tuner kit and definetly address these issues before driving it.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We think it is probably a cracked ringland.

The cause is probably due to the addition of an exhaust which helped increase boost into an area the ECU was not programed to manage. This was done after the kit install and we did not see it back, he did have a boost gauge and wideband but no accurate reports so we don't know exactly what he was seeing for boost and AF.

It seems some have ran into this issue after installing an exhaust with the TN kit and have seen boost go higher and the ECU not helped control the situation, mainly since it can't sense boost.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Sorry to hear that... i stand my ground that Turbonetics using a reflash was not a smart way to go. It should have a proper EMU. Same with the Power Enterprise kit. I read that Turbonetics is working a "1.5" version that will include EMU and injectors..

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Thanks for the info, Gus. Things like this are good to know when considering doing such a major mod to our Z. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
305 Posts
glad we didn't decide to go with T-netics..............some needs to post this info up on all the boards to let the Tnetics owners know to watch out :helpsmilie:

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I will update as things go along, the owner is going to bring it in about a week to remove the kit and fix the engine, he wants it back to ctock so we are probably just going to go in and replace the one cylinder provided the others are ok, we will see once the engine is out and heads removed.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It's easy to get lulled into a sense of security with these "bolt on" turbo kits. None of them are even close to perfect, and all of them need to be checked on the dyno/retuned, and vitals monitored at all times. Hopefully, the overall damage isnt too bad, and this customer can get his car running again quickly.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
One thing i think needs to get more visibility is the fact that most, if not all, of the forced induction kits on the market are not complete.

For the new guy that gets a Z, doesnt go on any forums, and just goes online to order a T-netics kit, he will never know that the reflash is not perfect and that it is very dangerous if you change something else such as the exhaust.

This stands for all of the kits.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
It's easy to get lulled into a sense of security with these "bolt on" turbo kits. None of them are even close to perfect, and all of them need to be checked on the dyno/retuned, and vitals monitored at all times. Hopefully, the overall damage isnt too bad, and this customer can get his car running again quickly.
So you're saying that once a person goes FI, they need to constantly monitor and tune their car? Sounds like it's more trouble than it's worth. That's like taking care of a terminally ill person.

Why would I want a car that I have to take in to get tuned on a constant basis? Or am I being paranoid?

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
You dont need to continually get it tuned. You do need to monitor the engine (thats what the gauges are for... not just for impressing your friends). If you change something on a FI motor (exhaust, plenum, etc.) You better put it back on the dyno to get it retuned, or you are at risk of disaster.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
You dont need to continually get it tuned. You do need to monitor the engine (thats what the gauges are for... not just for impressing your friends). If you change something on a FI motor (exhaust, plenum, etc.) You better put it back on the dyno to get it retuned, or you are at risk of disaster.
i have known several people who have changed some mods on their car after they had the Turbos installed and tuned. Nothing really have happened to their cars. the cars still run fine. is it luck?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So you're saying that once a person goes FI, they need to constantly monitor and tune their car? Sounds like it's more trouble than it's worth. That's like taking care of a terminally ill person.

Why would I want a car that I have to take in to get tuned on a constant basis? Or am I being paranoid?
It depends on which kit you get, I think time tells on each kit. We saw after a few installs that the ATI was not safe without additional items, as with the Greddy if more boost was wanted, and we are seeing it with Turbonetics now.

I think the APS so far has proven not to be problematic, specially the TT, people have added mods and still run safe tunes.

The key thing if you are not going to be into the tinkering of the kit is never to be the first to get a new kit give it some time and see how they do after a while and then make a decision. Not becuase I sell them but just based on history the APS TT kit seems to be the best for someone that wants a none problematic ownership. More kits might reveal to be that way but only time will tell.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.