Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2008 manual 350z
When I start the car it’ll make a air like grinding noise around the trans area and it’ll go away, also goes away if I gas it at all. When I put it in gear and accelerate it’ll make the noise anywhere from 500 to 2400 rpm and will stop past that, no codes pop up at all and the only thing I’ve done to the car is cut the muffler off, haven’t put pipes on it but am planning on welding more. I have no idea what this is and need some help. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2008 manual 350z
When I start the car it’ll make a air like grinding noise around the trans area and it’ll go away, also goes away if I gas it at all. When I put it in gear and accelerate it’ll make the noise anywhere from 500 to 2400 rpm and will stop past that, no codes pop up at all and the only thing I’ve done to the car is cut the muffler off, haven’t put pipes on it but am planning on welding more. I have no idea what this is and need some help. Any ideas?
How many miles are on your Z and has this sound always been there?

·
Super Moderator
1,732 Posts
With that many miles, you must be the second or third owner. Did you get any service records with the sale? Is there a chance the clutch, flywheel or CSC have been replaced?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With that many miles, you must be the second or third owner. Did you get any service records with the sale? Is there a chance the clutch, flywheel or CSC have been replaced?
I changed the clutch and flywheel to a six puck z1, forgot to mention that

·
Super Moderator
1,732 Posts
So, are you the original owner? If not, was the sound there when you first bought it?

When did you change the clutch and flywheel? Did the sound start after this change?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
So, are you the original owner? If not, was the sound there when you first bought it?

When did you change the clutch and flywheel? Did the sound start after this change?
I believe I’m the 3rd owner and no it wasn’t there when bought , clutch and fly is about 1500 miles used as of rn, would it help if I attached a video bc it’s a rly hard sound to explain, if I can do that

·
Super Moderator
1,732 Posts
OK- after answering those questions, that noise is definitely clutch/flywheel related. My guess is you purchased a lighter single mass flywheel (where the OEM flywheel is dual mass) and those always make more noise. The six-puck clutch may also be contributing to the noise, which goes away as the revs increase.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts