Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm a former owner of a 3rd Gen FD RX-7...I had lotsa goodies like coilovers, brakes, 99 spec turbos, ported motor...thinking about a Z these days.
One of the best mods I ever did was getting the weight down by doing the seats, a wheel, pulling the passanger airbag and the rear carpeting etc. I actually felt the difference in so many aspects of performance. I'm a track day kind of guy...not a straight liner so I'd prefer good HP in something light and nimble and I was wondering if this can be acheived.
I was just wondering if anyone here has done the same thing? Do they make light weight body pieces for the Z?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
J

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can get some weight out, but it does cost $$.

http://www.350z-tech.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12846

Around 80lbs can be ripped out immediately. You can get around 300lbs total if you really spend some big bucks.
Wow...I was hoping to drop a bit more but I see I am going to have to go extreme if I do this. I'm not much for interior bling anyway. I think I might just strip the bitch and make a track car cuz if I wanna be competitive some weight is going to have to come off.

Has anyone decided to go all out and remove sound deadening, AC, PS, ABS, and strip the interior yet? I'd rather not go the lexan route...I did that once and you constantly have to buff the inperfections out of it because it scratches but it's definitely light.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Someone just wrote me and let me know that about 80lbs can come out of the interior before you start stripping...
Can anyone point in the right direction for CF or Fiberglass body panels?...not overlays, the lighter stuff... :eek:)

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
You will not get much more than 300 lbs no matter how you take it. The 350evo guys stripped EVERYTHING and were able to bring the car into the 2800+lb range. This was not a daily driveable car either and was prepper for road racing.

The bulk of the weight is in the frame.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Rickdogg has gotten his Z to around 2800 lbs, but has no side windows and dry carbon doors. Plus he has the Lexan to replace the hatch glass.

The biggest things are the rotational mass weight like the wheels and flywheel. Then there is racing seats, lighweight battery, etc... but if you are building a track car, you are going to put some of that weight back in it with a roll bar or cage and big brake kit.

The Z isn't the lightest car, but it is very well balanced and has awesome power.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Rick! You're Asian! I never knew lol I just figured you were the huge black dood in your avatar, but I'm guessin that wasn't you lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow! Good read but not so informative. What's your car weighing Rick? Think you might do some CF/Fiberglass body panels to try to keep going?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts