Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

41 - 60 of 362 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Could you hang the door panel back on for a minute and LMK if the FX1 touches the door. I put my CR1s in and they rubbed the door panels.
Thanx

Sorry for the highjack

back on topic, I saved ~1 lb by removing the odd standoff brakets used to hold/clamp hoses nad what not and replaced them Adel clamps. Very tedious but looks better IMO.
The door panels have always been on the car because I am trying to figure out what to do with the door handle before I can take them off. So to answer your question...my FX1 has about a 1/2 inch between the shoulder bolsters and the door panel. Do you have the FX1 or the FX1 Pro? I have the Pro. There is a 1.5" difference between the two. Here's the dimensions of the two...

FX1 Pro

FX1

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Found these: http://www.shopmomo.com/momstarseatb.html

14 lbs! And only $234. Thinkin' about ordering them :)
Of course the mounting brackets are sold separately....

Why do they do that? It should be a complete kit. That would be like selling a car w/o wheels.

Conan, order me one in blue please. :lol: :wink: Just one though, I'll leave the passenger seat alone for the delicate peeps.

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
The door panels have always been on the car because I am trying to figure out what to do with the door handle before I can take them off. So to answer your question...my FX1 has about a 1/2 inch between the shoulder bolsters and the door panel. Do you have the FX1 or the FX1 Pro? I have the Pro. There is a 1.5" difference between the two. Here's the dimensions of the two...
I had the CR1s, just sold them to one of my truck buddies. He is in the hunt for 9s in the 1320 and the safety reqirements are finally catching up to him. I might have to go back to NOPI for a day just ot go seat shopping. The CR1s felt great for the truck. I sat pretty vertical. In the Z you lay back further and the bolsters just killed my ribs.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Well, I took my Z to a National Guard base where they have a digital scale. With a full tank of gas (or close to it), I weighed in at 3300 lbs. Nissan claims my 03 Touring weighs 3247. I'm sure that's w/o any fluids in the car. If I had an empty tank, that's at least another 120 lbs off.

Then I took the rear trunk mats out, along with the spare tire, tools, and the floor mats. Got it down to 3250. Not bad.

I don't have the stock cats on anymore. They've been replaced with Helix straight pipes. I also have the Hotchkis swaybars and springs. Don't know how much of a difference that makes, but I'm sure it's only a couple of pounds, at least.

I don't know what else to take out of the car w/o compromising some comfort and amenities that I enjoy (at least that's what I tell myself with those monthly payments to justify my need for the Z).

I suppose a dry cell battery, no windshield washer fluid, and completely removing the AC system could get me close to 3000 lbs (with no gas). :rolf2:

Next step is to get those new wheels and tires on and try again, this time with barely any gas in the car. :werd:

·
Administrator
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Well, I took my Z to a National Guard base where they have a digital scale. With a full tank of gas (or close to it), I weighed in at 3300 lbs. Nissan claims my 03 Touring weighs 3247. I'm sure that's w/o any fluids in the car. If I had an empty tank, that's at least another 120 lbs off.

Then I took the rear trunk mats out, along with the spare tire, tools, and the floor mats. Got it down to 3250. Not bad.

I don't have the stock cats on anymore. They've been replaced with Helix straight pipes. I also have the Hotchkis swaybars and springs. Don't know how much of a difference that makes, but I'm sure it's only a couple of pounds, at least.

I don't know what else to take out of the car w/o compromising some comfort and amenities that I enjoy (at least that's what I tell myself with those monthly payments to justify my need for the Z).

I suppose a dry cell battery, no windshield washer fluid, and completely removing the AC system could get me close to 3000 lbs (with no gas). :rolf2:

Next step is to get those new wheels and tires on and try again, this time with barely any gas in the car. :werd:
cool

·
Registered
1 Posts
for some reason, the rims and wheels????? idk, thats what i'm thinking, they have 265's in the back now
Hi, most of the changes for 06 resulted in the weight gain. Most notably are the wheel and tire combination as well as the new 06 brakes. Both front and rear rotors are substantially larger. In addition, all the interior changes plus sound deadening account for some weight too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I got this off another fourm...
I hope this can be helpful...

05 Z Touring Stock:
BATTERY - 36 LBS
BUTTERFLY WEIGHT INSIDE THE HATCH - 1.5 LBS
CATALYTIC CONVERTER - 17 LBS
CRANK PULLEY - 6 LBS 3.2 oz
GAS - 6.5 LBS per gall total: 130 LBS on 20 gallon tank @ full
EXHAUST - 64 LBS
HOOD - 24 LBS
REAR MAT - 7 LBS
REAR WIPER AND MOTOR - 9 LBS.
SPARE TIRE - roughly 40 LBS including the jack
4 TIRES - 216 LBS

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I'm hoping someone can shed some light on a 'counter' weight in the front. Is it in the bumper beam? How much does it weigh? Why is it there?

For months now, I've been rolling around w/o the spare, the trunk mat and cover, and the tools. I'm planning on taking out the styrofoam crap out of the back, too. It squeaks too much.

As for my new wheels and tires, I save about 1-2 lbs per corner. Meh...

·
Administrator
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I'm hoping someone can shed some light on a 'counter' weight in the front. Is it in the bumper beam? How much does it weigh? Why is it there?

For months now, I've been rolling around w/o the spare, the trunk mat and cover, and the tools. I'm planning on taking out the styrofoam crap out of the back, too. It squeaks too much.

As for my new wheels and tires, I save about 1-2 lbs per corner. Meh...
The Roadster has a heavy counterweight in the front. I can only imagine its purpose is to maintain the front to rear weight balance on the roadster.

44 Posts
this is a great topic. Wonder why it hasnt been brought up sooner. Weight reduction is one of the best ways to enhance performance, accleration, cornering, braking, and ease of driving. Makes you think, the z has enough power, if you reduce its weight, maybe 200 pounds, it will be perfect. I honestly think the z could be faster than a evo and a sti, if it lost a few pounds. And for the record, I love those two cars, so please dont hurt me :)

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
this is a great topic. Wonder why it hasnt been brought up sooner. Weight reduction is one of the best ways to enhance performance, accleration, cornering, braking, and ease of driving. Makes you think, the z has enough power, if you reduce its weight, maybe 200 pounds, it will be perfect. I honestly think the z could be faster than a evo and a sti, if it lost a few pounds. And for the record, I love those two cars, so please dont hurt me :)
Based on what I've been seeing and reading lately about the Z and staying NA coupled with losing weight, our cars are a formidable match to other imports of equal standing. Also, several members are previous owners of EVOs and STIs, and they have mentioned that the cars are not as good as everyone thinks.

It's all good. :cheers:

N

·
0 Posts
1 lb of weight reduction on your wheels equals 6 lbs rolling weight. :shiftdrive: I need to put mine on the scales......have lightened somethings up ......but added other things that will probably negate the weight reduction that i have done.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
1 lb of weight reduction on your wheels equals 6 lbs rolling weight. :shiftdrive: I need to put mine on the scales......have lightened somethings up ......but added other things that will probably negate the weight reduction that i have done.
Yeah, I think in a few more weeks I'll have to get her back on the scale and see if there's any difference. I guess to be fair I should fill the tank up like I did last time, but I'm dying to know what it's like almost empty. Should I do both?

·
Registered
6,162 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
My setup:

Driver Stock - 147lbs (heavy college drinking, shitty diet)
Passenger Stock - 130lbs (annoying ex g/f + her emotional baggage)

Driver Modded - 135lbs (healthier diet, no more soda and minimal carbs)
Passenger Modded - Dumped annoying ex for 104lb cutie with zero baggage

Total weight savings: 38lbs
:rolf2: Thats funny, had to show my room mate!

41 - 60 of 362 Posts