Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

21 - 40 of 362 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
I can't locate the source at the moment, but I seem to recall a common metric being 10 lbs = 1 hp. So removiing 80lbs of stuff mathematically gives your a gross increase by about 8hp, for free. Of course, that's a lot of work and some compromise for a few of the removable items. But it depends on what you're after. 8hp could mean a few tenths in your lap times on a road course.

BTW I've recently lost 35 lbs (Bowflex ROCKS!), so I've already got 3.5 improvement for my car. :irock:

·
Administrator
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I can't locate the source at the moment, but I seem to recall a common metric being 10 lbs = 1 hp. So removiing 80lbs of stuff mathematically gives your a gross increase by about 8hp, for free. Of course, that's a lot of work and some compromise for a few of the removable items. But it depends on what you're after. 8hp could mean a few tenths in your lap times on a road course.

BTW I've recently lost 35 lbs (Bowflex ROCKS!), so I've already got 3.5 improvement for my car. :irock:
you like your bowflex? thought about getting one.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Do it. If you stick with it, it's amazing how quickly the pounds shed off. I havent moved on to "buffing up" phase yet. But I don't want to scare off the motivation too soon. lol

·
Registered
58 Posts
The fabric seats in your post... were they without the side airbags? If so, how much do you think they would add? I'm swapping in a set of Sparco Torino's which, while heavy, should help lose some weight.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Springs (Stock and Eibach) : I can weigh the stocks
Headers: not taking these off, but hope someone else could chime in
Radiator: why? all of the aftermarket radiators may be lighter, but they hold extra water which will make them heavier
A-arms: The stock A-Arms are paper thin and feather light. All the aftermarket A-Arms are heavier
Swaybars (Hotchkis): There are a few people I know with Hotchkis bars sitting in their living room :) Maybe they will be kind and weight them for us.
When I get around to tearing the z apart I can weight the headers, cats, exhaust, intake plenum and pullies. Then I'll weight all the parts I put on and we can see the difference. Plus I would like to get rims too so maybe I can toss that in there also.

·
Administrator
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
yes, these are for 2003-2005 models.. collected from various sources. Many of which I weighed.

Echo, I already weight the stock exhuast, cats, and plenums

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
windshield washer resivior. Only a pound at best but is holds a bunch of water and all of it oin front of the front axle.

I cut out he actual grill fromt he bumber cover. about 2#, I also removed all of the metal standoff brakcets that hold stuff in place and replaced them with adel clamps, maybe saved 1/2# but improved appreance and saved wieght. I don't have the weights handy but SS brake lines have to weigh less than the stock ones with all of the bolt down locations. I'm beign anal about it, but I made a promise to a friend that i wouldn't gut the car for a while, but I've been creative in removing weight. Shorter bolts where ever possible and titanium bolts at that. Maybe a savings of 1# but it loks better IMO. lug nuts, I traded weight here, I installed 50 and 60 mm Nismo studs but added lightwieght aluminum lugs and came out about even. for a straight swap 1.2 oz ea times 20. about a 1.5# of rotational mass but is it is very close to the hub. For those with track models or Brembo setups Stoptech Areo rotors, two peice w/ Al hats. Supposed to be a considerable weight savings, again rotational. I didn't notice much weight difference with RSR springs.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Awesome thread. I have a ton of interior parts lying around. I better get to work. Here's what I know now....

OEM headliner = 4.5 lbs
Sound Deadener = approx 12 lbs.

Plus Corbeau Seats has all the weights on their website www.corbeau.com

Corbeau FX1 Pro Seat = 19 lbs.

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
Awesome thread. I have a ton of interior parts lying around. I better get to work. Here's what I know now....

OEM headliner = 4.5 lbs
Sound Deadener = approx 12 lbs.

Plus Corbeau Seats has all the weights on their website www.corbeau.com

Corbeau FX1 Pro Seat = 19 lbs.
Could you hang the door panel back on for a minute and LMK if the FX1 touches the door. I put my CR1s in and they rubbed the door panels.
Thanx

Sorry for the highjack

back on topic, I saved ~1 lb by removing the odd standoff brakets used to hold/clamp hoses nad what not and replaced them Adel clamps. Very tedious but looks better IMO.

21 - 40 of 362 Posts