Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

341 - 360 of 362 Posts

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I'm loving what's happening in this thread!

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Does removing the bumper support adversely affect handing at all? ...I feel like it might be there to stiffen things up a bit? ...same for the triangle pieces?
I want to get back in there again... Have you pulled the carpet out?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yeah, I think it does strengthen the chassi. Not so much with handling but more during acceleration, when the chassis start to flex under high torque.

After the roll cage goes in, this won't be an issue to worry about.

The only bad thing I see about removing the bumper support, is getting into an accident. The roll cage will protect me, but I would have to buy another car after that. For sure it will be a total lose.

Carpet is still in the car.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I wouldn't remove the bumper supports. I'm pretty sure they serve a very important function. :wink:

·
Registered
321 Posts
They will save your life if you don't have a roll cage.. I haven't taken out the front support and I don't think I'm going to.. My roll cage is not a complete cage. It has eight points, starting at the doors to the trunk. If I were to take out the front support, I would think to cage-in the engine bay, so the motor doesn't go threw the fire wall and harm the driver.

Then again, I've owned a motorcycle... Sometimes I do want to take off the front support.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Another way to loose rotating mass is by using smaller tires. Expect to loose 4 pounds off each wheel by going to a 215, from a 245. (ex: falken 452 type tires. 215/35/18=21lbs & 245/35/18=25lbs) (My stock v.2 oem rims have a set of 215's in the front and I forgot the back).. I'll drop some pics soon

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
....well, I'm leaving mine on for support, but I heard the front brace doesn't do much other than increase the likelihood of frame damage in a slow front end collision. It's just a 2 pound piece of aluminum....

·
Registered
321 Posts
Front bumper support is mounted onto the radiator support. Depending how soft the accident is, I'd think the radiator support would bend before the frame does.

Bumper supports I'd say weigh around 8+ lbs. I had to use some muscle to pick it up and I'm not weak sauce...

From heaviest to lightest parts: (All weights are low balled. Sorry for not having a scale.)

-Radio, Amps, speakers, and after market sub. box (Approx. 35++ lbs)
-A/c compressor and Condenser (approx. 20+ lbs)
-Passenger Seat (Approx. 20lbs, Heated and electrical seats weigh more)
-Spare Tire and Tools (Approx. 17lbs)
-Using Smaller Tires (lost 4 lbs on each wheel)(Total of 16 lbs)
-Bumper Support (approx. 8lbs)
-Sound Bar (approx. 6 lbs)
-Passenger and Drive Side Windows (Approx. 3 lbs each)(total of 6 lbs)
-Front and Rear Windshield Wipers Motors (approx. 4 lbs)
-Steering Wheel (approx. 3 lbs)

Not going with a titanium exhaust anymore. I've seen to many of them with dents along the piping area, which will obstruct exhaust flow...

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Woooo!!! That's a good looking list!

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
You're not losing power, you're adding load to the engine which makes it feel like you're losing power.

·
Registered
111 Posts
well check this out...if we are talking about weight..the 370z..is 3900 pounds with 2 seats.....the gtr.....with front, back seats and being a bigger car, all around is only roughly..about 2700 pounds...the gtr was made to be a real race car...nissan thought of the weight...but z cars are made tooooo heavy...the question is why z car are so **** heavy

·
Registered
3 Posts
well check this out...if we are talking about weight..the 370z..is 3900 pounds with 2 seats.....the gtr.....with front, back seats and being a bigger car, all around is only roughly..about 2700 pounds...the gtr was made to be a real race car...nissan thought of the weight...but z cars are made tooooo heavy...the question is why z car are so **** heavy
Dude, your information is VERY wrong. You're more than 500lbs off in both examples.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I installed with new Lighter weight exhaust system. I could tell one lighter car and two more power but because of the new true dual exhaust system.. Lighter weight can help but down get too crazy and strip your car down. Make it hard to handle

341 - 360 of 362 Posts