Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 362 Posts

·
Administrator
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
at what point does weight reduction become a significant factor? I know that every pound counts.. but as far as handling, accelleration..

can you feel 20 lbs? 40 lbs? 100 lbs?

cat pipes -20lbs
lightweight battery -20lbs
titanium exhaust - 40lbs
ive already lost some weight on my wheels -??lbs
personal diet -5lbs
when needed i can pull out the subs -100lbs
what else can be done and what are the approximate weight losses ?

some carbon fiber hatches are in the works -??lbs

inputs everyone!

Looking for stock weights. Here is a start. Post what you have and I will edit this post.

OEM Weights

Full tank of gas: 6.5 lbs. x 20 gallons = 130

Removable:
Strut Bar: 7
Rear Speakers: 1lb x 2 = 2
Cat Brace: 2.5
Rear Wiper Motor: 1.5
Trunk Weight: 2.5
Floor Mat: 2.3lb x 2 = 4.6
Diffuser: 2.8
Sub Bracket: 4
Pads in glove box: 5
Rear Trunk Mat: 7
Spare Tire: 35
Spare Tire Cover: 1.5
Tools: 6

Total Removable Weight: 81.4lbs

Replaceable
Upper Plenum: 9
Lower Plenum: 12
Rear Sway: 3.6
Front Sway: 14.4
Hood: 22.8
Stock 17" wheels and tires: 52lb x 4 = 208
Muffler: 34
Mid Pipe: 12
Y Pipe: 16
Cats: 23lb x 2 = 46
Fabric Seats: 37lb x 2 = 74
Battery: 36
Clutch: 22.2
Flywheel: 23

Aftermarket weights:
Odyssey PC 680 battery: 15 lbs.
Odyssey PC 545 battery: 11.5lbs
JIC 3" Titanium Exhaust: 9lbs
Bride Gias Seats: 24.2lb x 2 = 48.4

·
Administrator
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that sounds about right.. so dropping 70lbs is like gaining 10hp ... but also u get better handling characteristics which cannot be measure on the dyno..

·
Registered
128 Posts
It'd all depend on the power to weight ratio of the car-- 25 lbs off of a civic is 1% (so in theory, it should be 1% extra power?), but it'd take 32 lbs off of a Z to equal 1%.

·
5,437 Posts
My setup:

Driver Stock - 147lbs (heavy college drinking, shitty diet)
Passenger Stock - 130lbs (annoying ex g/f + her emotional baggage)

Driver Modded - 135lbs (healthier diet, no more soda and minimal carbs)
Passenger Modded - Dumped annoying ex for 104lb cutie with zero baggage

Total weight savings: 38lbs

·
Administrator
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My 19" volk gt7 wheels + tires are 4lbs lighter than the stock 17". So 16lbs total savings. Of course if you went with 17" gt7 it would be a more significant difference.

·
Registered
788 Posts
My 19" volk gt7 wheels + tires are 4lbs lighter than the stock 17". So 16lbs total savings. Of course if you went with 17" gt7 it would be a more significant difference.
Just to get technical: With rotating mass, the overall position of the weight is more important than the actual mass itself. In your case, you moved a good deal of the mass 2" furthur away from the center, requiring more torque to turn the wheel.

Also, are you sure about the speaker weight? That seems extremely light (1 lb per speaker). I would think the magnets alone weigh more than that.

Otherwise, awesome thread and good info. Keep up the good work! :)

·
Administrator
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am very much aware of the rotational difference of where the weight is located on the wheels.. that is saved for another article ;)

However, on a different note the aluminum "rim" of a 19" wheel is not that heavy. The bulk of the weight is in the hub and spoke areas. Additionally, the tire is about the same weight as the rim. Overally, I would put my money that the 4lb lighter 19"wheel has about the same if not less rotational inertia than the 17". I dont have the numbers for stock 18" wheels.

I am pretty sure about the stock speaker weight. They are extremely light POS's. The magnets are a joke on the stock speakers. I put 2lbs, but my method of weighing is rough so i would say a maximum of 3lbs total.

·
Administrator
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Springs (Stock and Eibach) : I can weigh the stocks
Headers: not taking these off, but hope someone else could chime in
Radiator: why? all of the aftermarket radiators may be lighter, but they hold extra water which will make them heavier
A-arms: The stock A-Arms are paper thin and feather light. All the aftermarket A-Arms are heavier
Swaybars (Hotchkis): There are a few people I know with Hotchkis bars sitting in their living room :) Maybe they will be kind and weight them for us.

1 - 20 of 362 Posts