Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am a new owner of a Track (sig) and having come from an 1100kg car am keen to drop some weight off this one... problem is... I got no mulla! :doh:

I am interested in what people have done to the car to drop as much weight as possible without replacing parts... ie carbon fibre bits (which are very nice and VERY expensive!). As you can see in the sig I already have an exhaust that saves about 20kgs and from memory the Rays save another 12kgs. So I am down 32kg (dry weight). If I can drop about 20kgs off my personal rear-end that would help immensly, and I am working very hard on that too! :)

I saw something about dry-icing the sound proofing? Can someone please expand on that? I am going to take out the spare and make a space in the boot, much like this thread describes.

How much does the subwoofer weight? I am not a big car sound person... I care more about the engine note.

I am also thinking of stripping out the middle console plastic and perhaps drumming up a custom made fiberglass cover (got a friend who can do something for low to no cost).

In fact I am wondering if that whole section between the boot and the seats can be taken out and speakers moved to the floor or to the sides? Anyone tried that?

Thanks in advance! :wavey:

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Might I suggest a CF racing thong? :lol:

But seriously, there are some things you can do.. Like, removing the sound deadening in the doors and trunk.. Removing the spare tire and jack (I'd leave the tow pin tho.. ya never know).. Remove the counterweight in the rear hatch, Remove the rear windshield wiper and motor.. etc.

Depends on how far you wanna go.. There's always cruise control, A/C, radio & speakers... etc.

Do a search on this, and type in "LBSOHC weight reduction" or somethin, LBSOHC (Art) has done some experimenting with this, and he's got pics and stuff. G'luck!

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Art is LBSOHK, and yes I've seen some pics of major wt reduction on some Z's. I suppose that if you don't need everything inside the car, you could strip a few things, but I like my creature comforts. The way I look at it, if the car was made to have all those things and the engine to push it, then why not leave it alone?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[/quote]
Same reply can be said to people who put wheels on it, or a TT, or anything for that matter... why not just leave all of them stock? :)

Thanks, I'll do a search and I guess I'll just experiment.

As for how far I am willing to go? Well, stereo, rear wiper, cruise, etc are comforts that you want in a car the you drive daily. The subbie will be the first thing that gets chucked out in my car, cause I hate that stuff. But speakers would be nice :)

Sound proofing is coming out too. Spare comes out on track days anyway, so that'll be automatic.

Thanks for the search tip in any case :)

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Good point. I am planning on removing the rear wiper and the counter weight in the hatch, but mostly because I don't want it or need it. I'll leave the stereo alone, but most of the plastic on the console isn't that heavy.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[/quote]

I had a look at the posts by LBSOHK, and that IS extreme. I am just going to pull out one piece at a time and put it on the scales and see what comes out. I'll post the results/photos of the work in progress. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
The passenger seat is also a good candidate for removal if you really want to save some weight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts