Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Thunderhill Raceway in Willows, Calif. (90 miles north of Sacramento) on Sun. and Mon. (Aug. 14 & 15, 2005) with TracQuest. Great (but expensive) event. Lots of track time, especially on Mon. when there were only 30 cars.

But that's not what this post is about. I was planning to drive home on Tuesday, but extended my vacation when one of the Tracquest instructors told me that he was going to a driving school event at Reno-Fernley Raceway (30 miles east of Reno, Nev.) on Tues. and Wed. of that same week. The Tracquest instructor was a student at this event.

There were 4 students and 1 instructor. 5 cars total. We had the whole tracK to ourselves for 2 days. It was AWESOME. No run groups, no flaggers, no bozos, no hassles. Just unlimited track time and excellent instruction. All that for $195 per day on a 2.4 mile high speed road course. I improved my driving skills and had a blast doing it.

The instructor was a NASA racer, and said she can run the track in 1:30 in her race-prepped Miata. I ran a 1:37 in my EVO. Sure, an EVO is a lot faster than a Miata in the straights, but her Miata handles great and as long as she doesn't lose momentum, the Miata goes **** fast. Being within 7 seconds of the instructor's time ain't bad for an old guy like me.

:cheers: :shiftdrive: :irock: :clap: :cheers: :shiftdrive: :irock: :clap: :cheers:

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Sigh...I've got those NASA sites bookmarked, plus a local company sets up schools and driving events during the week up in Brainerd Int'l Raceway. I need to get going on this type of fun!

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by shezzzhot@Aug 20 2005, 02:31 PM
Great run Rich!! My first event was with NASA and my instructor ran tough as nails. Didn't catch her times, but she rocked with the guys hot on her heels!!

Sounds like the best experience ever!!
[snapback]147458[/snapback]​

Hi Pam!!!

I'm glad you enjoyed your NASA event. My instructor at Fernley was a NASA racer, but it was not a NASA event. I don't like NASA because they try to do to much in a day and have way too many cars. I ran with NASA one weekend at Buttonwillow last fall, and they had 4 HPDE groups and 2 race groups with practice races, qualifying and the races. I got four 20 minute run session each day, that's it. When I run with Speed Ventures I get 2 to 3 times that much seat time, and at the Reno-Fernley track time was unlimited.

When are you running on the track next?

I have a 3 day weekend (1 day at Buttonwillow and 2 days at Streets of Willow) 2 weeks from now, and then 2 days at Laguna Seca the second weekend of Sept.
WooooooooooooooHHHHooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:shiftdrive: :shiftdrive: :shiftdrive: :shiftdrive: :shiftdrive: :shiftdrive: :shiftdrive: :shiftdrive:

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
I agree Rich, NASA does do a lot in one day's event. I was able to get 2 hrs total from the Chin event: http://www.350z-tech.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9832

So since I just did that event, I will not track again until next year possible in March when I get spring break. I'm hooked but I need to focus on my last yr of school first.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts