Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i wanna wax the Z but there are sooo many different types of waxs out there i just dont know which one to go with/what all to go with for the best shine out there without having to wet sand and stuff...i want to get the swirl marks out of the paint that is my main priority. soo any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Top 3 brands I keep reading about or have had experience with:

Meguiar's
Mother's
Zaino

I'm sure others will say differently.

I suggest you check out autogeek.com and read up on their detailing section. Lots of good technical stuff there.

I personally use Meguiar's most of the time.

·
Registered
139 Posts
meguiar's gold class 100% easy to apply, easy to buff off and leave a long lasting shine which i keep up on between waxes with meguiar's quick detailer.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
A great shine is 99% about proper preparation before adding the wax. The best way to get rid of swirl marks would be to use a machine with polish. If that's not your cup of tea look towards a Meguairs Polish and clay bar. A simplifed process would be:

1. Wash car
2. Clay bar
3. Polish
4. Wash car
5. Wax

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you are looking to remove swirl marks then the only way to do this is by polishing ( or as you said earlier wet sanding). The clay bar will removed contaminates such as tar or tree sap from the paint but will not remove any swirls. To do this you have to remove layers of the clear coat by a method such as polishing. A clay bar will certainly help your paint but wont achieve the outcome you are looking for.

·
Premium Member
5,866 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^What he said. A Random Orbital Buffer, and some good quality polish from Mcguires is what is needed for swirls. As mentioned earlier, autogeek.com is a quality site with lots of how-tos for the DIY.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
meguiar's gold class 100% easy to apply, easy to buff off and leave a long lasting shine which i keep up on between waxes with meguiar's quick detailer.
+1 I use this stuff. It's pretty good. It's no Zaino but it's good stuff.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I've been told to stay away from electric buffers... Once the surface of the paint gets contaminated. The cloth used to apply or remove wax, will scar the paint in the same manner you apply or remove wax. When applying and removing wax do not "wax on, wax off" like Daniel'son from karate kid. Up and down works best. Do the same when washing the car and the swirl marks will go away, but know it's going to look like they go up and down..lol

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
If you are looking to remove swirl marks then the only way to do this is by polishing ( or as you said earlier wet sanding). The clay bar will removed contaminates such as tar or tree sap from the paint but will not remove any swirls. To do this you have to remove layers of the clear coat by a method such as polishing. A clay bar will certainly help your paint but wont achieve the outcome you are looking for.
Correct. Clay bar is important though to properly prep the paint for polishing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts