Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to bring the Z to work so a machanic could adjust the ride height....it had to be on a lift. Since it's damm dusty in that shop and there were lots of curious folks milling about the car while I was not present...I wanted to clean her up asap. In case I ever have to take her back there for some work. I wanted to know if the people in charge are being prudent..ie not demolishing the body work or paint. Since I sign all their paychecks I wasn't too worried.

There was one minor infraction on a wheel and a small scratch on the very lowest portion of a rocker panel, but otherwise no problems except for the heavy layer of gravel dust. Since they had to remove the wheels twice I give them an 8/10. I have seen much worse occur in "professional shops" and recommend you check for obvious exterior uh-oh's whenever you leave your vehicle at any shop before paying the tab. They might not own up to it but at least they will know you are going to check and might be more careful if you partonize them in the future.

The car sat in the garage until today when I had an afternoon free to wash her. 60º and party cloudy, no humidity. Perfect. I begin buy grabbing a brewski and a smoke...then assemble the arsenal. I always take out more stuff than I need 'cause you never know just how far you're going to get.

Well, that's a drying rack from Lowe's that serves as a work station. Since my driveway is made from gravel, stones and dirt...I can't let anything touch the ground. If it does it goes out-of-service immediatley.

Next is a supply of waffle weave drying towels, buffing towels, wash mitts for paint, mitts for wheels...you get the idea. Extra drying towels come in handy around the hatch since when you open it to dry the inner sections, water seeps out from both sides. You can stuff a towel in there and let them soak up those pesky trickles while you work elsewhere.

Now it's time for another beer and crank up the tunes if you got'em. Car is put into position in the shade.

It doesn't look dirty but it is. I use a high capacity nozzle with a rubber bumper. For a heavy dust acumulation a gentle spray of water from top to bottom removes the lose material from the paint.

I try to get the wash mitt throughly saturated with soapy, suddy water and drip that all over the surface of the paint starting at the top...then gently move the mitt over all the panels to release the dirt. The bottom panels are washed with a separate mitt that is reserved for only the lower panels. Arrrghhh..found a new blemish.

I may have slipped another beer in there somewhere 'cause that pic is retarded. Let's move these towels and reflect...maybe light up a smoke. Ahhh...there's another beer right here...

We don't have time for this...the car has suds all over it. Rinse the car without a nozzle...just a gentle flow of water and you can dry the car with a sock...or maybe just one towel instead of three. Well, no, you'll need at least three if you stuff up those leaky spots.

Dry everything inside the wiper wells and inside the engine bay...dirty water you leave in here now can get on the paint...maybe.

I do the tires last because I have cross-drilled rotors. All the nasty brake dust and used up rubber debris get in there so I have to blow them dry with forced air. Failing to do this will cause two problems...the dirty water in the rotors will spin out all over the wheels as soon as the car moves...and the brake pads will rust to the rotors if I let the car sit for very long. When I begin washing the car I direct a more foreceful spray of water on the tires and wheels to get them ready for later.

I spray on a rubber cleaner...since I had to drive through a small muddy spot at the mill this step was necessary...I don't do this every time. Do not allow it to dry on the rubber. Use a rag or soft brush to work the cleaner into the rubber and rinse with water. Scrub the tires with car soap. Using a different mitt/cotton rag gently clean the wheels.
Arghhh...dammit, a little scratch here too. I use a long, foam tipped swab to clean the lug nut holes. Just stick it in and move it around...consult significant other handbook for more detailed instructions. I wiped the tires down with a dressing, Zaino 16 or something, last week and they still look good.

Now for the forced air. I used the vacuum this time..reverse the hose and it's a blower. You can use a leaf blower or compressor, but I needed to vacuum the inside so this was easier. I do not recommend using a leaf blower on the interior.

I like this unit...need to keep it farther away from puddles though. Well, time to put the Z back in her cave and cover her up. A light Z6 detail spray misting and she's ready for bed. She'll get some Zaino polish tomorrow...need more beer. She'll be looking good come Sunday.

Now is a good time to check your tire pressure and fluid levels .

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hey Kshep, nice ride. What size wheels you ridin'? Your car looks good. I have a silverstone and was wondering how much the smoked rear lights ran you? I'm gettin ready for some winter driving and have never zainoed my car. I thought it might be good to get some layers in before the salt start spraying. What should I buy to prepare my Z for winter driving?

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Kshep, nice ride. What size wheels you ridin'? Your car looks good. I have a silverstone and was wondering how much the smoked rear lights ran you? I'm gettin ready for some winter driving and have never zainoed my car. I thought it might be good to get some layers in before the salt start spraying. What should I buy to prepare my Z for winter driving?
Thanks for the compliment. The wheels are 18x9/18x10.5.

Toykilla (ADMIN here) smoked the tail lighhts during a group buy for less than $100...his normal fee if I remember correctly. THey look awesome and garner much attention.

To prep for winter driving, first move to a more tropical location. J/k...if you don't have any Zaino on the paint follow the instructions on this link. You will need to do the Dawn/clay bar step but claying the car is really not too difficult a task.

http://www.350z-tech.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6275

There is another pinned thread specifically on winter detailing at the top of this forum.

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
geebas and i thought i was bad

but dude pave that driveway, i cant help but think the car is going to get covered in dust again when u drive it out of the garage
Yeah...can't decide what material to use for paving and I need to install some drainage before I commence with the driveway. It's on the to-do list.

Pam...the vacuum came from Griots Garage. The little seat works great in the garage on concrete...not too good on rocks.

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow kenny
nice shine
maybe its time u start your own car wash business
LOL
Morning ayman...I would go broke. Too slow.

O-k...today we are polishing. Angie (the g/f) wants to go to SAV this morning and I have valiantly agreed to tag along. A layer of Z5 will be applied before departure. I'll post up some pics later today.

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kenny,

The word "obsezzed" comes to mind. Nice work!
Yeah...God help me if I owned a SB.

Angie blew up the coffe maker so coffee is everywhere in the kitchen...I have some time to prepare now. Here are some of the products I'll be using. Z-PC in case I find a blemish, Z2 Pro goes on after Z5....some Leather In A Bottle, Plastic Polish for the headlamps and some Glass Polish. See the dime on the applicator pad...that's how much product it takes to cover a panel. Always dampen the pad prior to use. 3x that for the hood and 2x that amount for the roof. If you apply too much you are just wasting the product and making more work for yourself.

Be back later this afternoon...beautiful sunny day ahead.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
wow, that is one **** of a cleaning setup you have going there.. might need to stop by sometime for a detail job

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Josh, you are welcome to stop by any weekend.

Polishing Day

Gotta have the right towels for buffing and rubbing in detail spray. Just because a towel is labeled as 100% cotton don't make it so. I'm using DF Concours MF and some DF 100% cotton. The smaller sizes, about 20x14 inches are easy to work with. Be careful around the 350Z badge in the rear as it will snag the towel more often than not.

Here is another look at what I'm using today. One round blue foam sponge for the tire dressing and another for the 303 Aerospace protectant. The yellow foam sponge is for the Plastic/Glass Polish. Rinse it out between uses. Use a clean cloth to apply/buff out Rain-X.

I have found all of these Wheel Polishes, NXT, Mothers, Meguiars work well on the polished lip of aftermarket wheels. They will make a mess of your towel though.

The little mixing bottle contains about one ounce of Z5. More than enough to do the entire car.

Dampen the applicator pad and put a dime sized drop of Zaino in the center.

I found a few bug remains that the washing did not remove...clay bar gets that off. Use some diluted Z7 and water as a lubricant.

This is a sun shade I use when the Z is left in direct sun for any lenght of time.

You cannot see Zaino polish on the paint in pics...in person it's difficult to see if you apply it thinly enough especially on a Silverstone. So here is a pic of the finished product with one layer of Z5 and another of Z2. Sun was sinking so apologies for the lighting and shadows.

Leftover Zaino Z5...I use this on the clearcoated centers of my wheels...toss the rest and clean out the bottle.

Z goes back inside and sleeps with a layer of Z2 with no accelerator added. I buff that off in the morning and finish with some detail spray. Getting crowded in there but I'm working on that.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Wow Kenny, right on time my friend! I just did the audi today, starting w/ the claybar (mine is pink tho :OMG: ) and then the Zaino PC on yellow cutting pad. She had some serious machine marks from the shop. :furious: I was putting it on around 5pm and started losing sunlight so I am hoping it took the marks off. I worked it till clear. remove w/ MF (pakshak hope they are alright lol) Spray down w/ Z6. Then the fun part. Z5 by PC white polishing pad IN THE DARK :hide2: I let it sit and took it off w/ MF feeling the resistance fade as it came off the one side that is not under the street light :OMG: LOL Tomorrow will wake, wash and put another coat or two of Z5 on and then top w/ a few of Z2, with the flash cure cause it's too cold here it would take a day to dry :yikes: I can say it's really slippery now.

Lucy will get the full treatment tomorrow as well. I hope this Zaino stuff is all its cracked up to be :wink: :lol:

Nice job, excellent write up *grabs a smoke and a glass of vino* and awesome pics (including the retarded one :wink: )

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow Kenny, right on time my friend! I just did the audi today, starting w/ the claybar (mine is pink tho :OMG: ) and then the Zaino PC on yellow cutting pad. She had some serious machine marks from the shop. :furious: I was putting it on around 5pm and started losing sunlight so I am hoping it took the marks off. I worked it till clear. remove w/ MF (pakshak hope they are alright lol) Spray down w/ Z6. Then the fun part. Z5 by PC white polishing pad IN THE DARK :hide2: I let it sit and took it off w/ MF feeling the resistance fade as it came off the one side that is not under the street light :OMG: LOL Tomorrow will wake, wash and put another coat or two of Z5 on and then top w/ a few of Z2, with the flash cure cause it's too cold here it would take a day to dry :yikes: I can say it's really slippery now.

Lucy will get the full treatment tomorrow as well. I hope this Zaino stuff is all its cracked up to be :wink: :lol:

Nice job, excellent write up *grabs a smoke and a glass of vino* and awesome pics (including the retarded one :wink: )
You have a full plate with the A6 and Lucy...but I know they will appreciate the TLC.

Are you really using a PC to apply the Z5? I don't recall anyone doing too much of that as you tend to use more product than is really necessary. Nothing wrong with it though. :thumbsup:

Glad you enjoyed the write up. I finished half of the interior this evening...forgot to do the door sills. Going to find a new spot to take some pics tomorow morning and actually drive the car some.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
I used less than an ounce to do the entire audi w/ the PC, believe me you, that left shoulder of mine is wasted......esp since I am a leftie, machine > hand , only one pass tho. and darnit I cant find that wee little bottle to wash it out, guess that's one for the "gipper" :lol: three more left......

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I used less than an ounce to do the entire audi w/ the PC, believe me you, that left shoulder of mine is wasted......esp since I am a leftie, machine > hand , only one pass tho. and darnit I cant find that wee little bottle to wash it out, guess that's one for the "gipper" :lol: three more left......
I would have thought the pad would have soaked it up too fast. I still like doing it by hand....enjoy the tactile contact with the curves and...well. I have a supply of those little bottles so if they continue to mutiny let me know.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Kenny=Dr BonZ

you got it going Kenny, i think i will have to refer to you from now on when it comes to Zaino solutions.

I love that shine. one of the best i have seen so far.

Kenny maybe u can pm and tell me how i can use my clay bar correctly, i have never used it. does it make a difference on the car?

do i have to dawn wash the car everytime i wash or i can keep the zaino coats that i have?

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Kenny
what type rear spoiler you got? looks perfect on the car
Hi ayman...Dr. Bonz has to care for a BY and that's much trickier to do than our Silverstone. Thanks for the compliment though.

Spoiler is a Data Systems Illusion.

You don't need to Dawn to paint more than once. I clay bar the entire car once a year. Just mix up some Z7 car wash and water in a spray bottle, or youcan use Z6. This provides a lubricant for the clay bar.

I'm making crab cakes right now...will pm you some more info later.

Took a few pics today of the finished product.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts