Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

How do you wash your engine?

• Total voters
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
QUOTE (SlickRick2869 @ Oct 12 2007, 12:43 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=447855
Haha... I like the "dry with leaf blower" step... creative... and must make the neighbors wonder... :rolf2:
I've been doing it for years.

QUOTE (db04z @ Apr 29 2009, 12:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=574525
Maybe I'm crazy but I wipe down the engine area everytime I wash the car, along with the hatch area and the door jams.
I always clean out the jams, hatch, engine bay surfaces, and under the doors. Nothing wrong with us, right?

·
Registered
1 Posts
every time i wash my car, i always pressure washer the engine also, but while its off, and i never had any problems ,

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
w00t! Back from the dead! And a good one, too! I got to re-vote!

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
If I were going to clean a dirty engine (and mine is not), I'd take these steps.

1. Remove bottom engine panel and close windows, doors, and hatch.
2. Use leafblower to get rid of the dust, dirt, and trapped leaves in the engine bay.
3. With the engine lukewarm, carefully spray a 50/50 mix of water and Simple Green onto greasy and dirty areas.
4. Let sit for a few minutes.
5. Use the mist option on the hose to remove all traces of that cleaning mix.
6. Immediately wash the entire car, dry, then wax.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Don't get high pressure spray anywhere! Just spray gently from a couple of feet away (with engine OFF). This is just to soften the crud and rinse some of it away. Then fire it up and blip the throttle a few times to throw the heavy water off. Use a leaf blower (best) or air blast from your compressor to chase water from the crevices. Then get busy with rags to wipe the stains and embedded dirt off.

The engine room is probably the hardest part of your Zee to get really clean. You might want to consider paying a detailing service to do it...not as satisfying, but dollars can make it seem easy :).

21 - 29 of 29 Posts