Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

How do you wash your engine?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
Off. Cover the air filter and wash with low pressure and a good engine cleaner. Allow to dry then start.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Off. Cover the air filter and wash with low pressure and a good engine cleaner. Allow to dry then start.
+1..a.d CAREFULLY! ...no water in/around ECU

·
Registered
294 Posts
I would use a quality degreaser such as Simple Green. I have used it on my other cars in the past and it works great. Just spray it in a mist pattern let it sit for 5-10 minutes then hose it off gently and let it dry.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Autogeek.net has some very nice tutorials and suggestions. Explore their detailing facts, tips, and tricks section.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'm too affraid of spraying water in there. Last car had, when I did that the ECU started smoking. So I clean mine by hand.

·
Registered
316 Posts
i pressure wash mine at the car was probably once ever 5 times.

Just make sure to stay away from the electronics. Which included the battery and the fuse box. if you can concentrate the water on the opposite side as the batter you should be good. Preven overkilling the compartment with water. A little bit goes a long ways, and remember you can't clean it by spraying it off, that only helps control road grime. If you want it clean, get the googone, a few rags, and some plastic gloves.... get busy

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would personally never power wash my engine. I've used Simple Green before & it worked great.

-- and always with the engine off

·
Registered
181 Posts
I think by hand would be the safest way. Some kind of degreaser and rags. There are just too many electronics under our hoods to use a hose or power washer.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Courtesy of davidv:

Originally posted by 'davidv'
This is my method. I do not necessarily recommend that anyone use this method:

1. Rinse engine bay and underside of hood with a fine spray of water.

2. Prepare a spray bottle of 50 Mr. Clean/50 water.

3. Spray underside of hood and engine bay. Let sit for 10 minutes.

4. Agitate dirty areas with a assortment of brushes.

5. Rinse with fine water mist.

6. Dry with leaf blower.

7. Apply dressing to damp cloth, then wipe plastic engine bay parts.

Photos below at 41,000 miles.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Okay there have been debates on how some wash thier engine...By power washing... Do most leave thier engine running? or shut it off?
Summertime only, on a "no drive" day. Disconnect pos battery cable, better yet remove the battery. Use a power washer, stand on something, do not get too close, 10-15 feet is plenty close. Blast away with a soap solution, let it sit, then water. Simple Green first is also a good idea. Make sure it's completely dry, i.e. let it sit in the hot sun all day long, give it a very careful visual inspection (look at all your harnesses, if there's still moisture towel dry and wait another day). Re-inspect. If it looks bone-dry, re-connect or re-install your battery, start up and listen for irregularities, let it idle for 10 minutes is everything seems cool. You need to make sure there isn't ANY wayter touching electronics before you re-connect the battery or you will wish you never cleaned it off.

jb

·
Registered
312 Posts
Wow those pic are actually scary. How bout this, preventative maintenance, I use MAF sensor cleaner, or brake parts cleaner, depending on location, do it often and keep it clean, do not let your engine bay get to the point of needing to use a hose.
all that water, your just asking for trouble

·
Banned
1,668 Posts
I have seen Z's with slotted vents in the hood before. How does this not effect the engine in a heavy rain storm? It would seem going at least 60 down the highway stuck in a moderate rains storm that it would send a large amount of water in the engine bay. Is this not true?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Good topic I have always had the hardest time cleaning my engine bay. Especially the spots that are under wiring and such. My hands always end up bleeding.....the brushes seem like a great idea...too bad i never thought of it.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Maybe I'm crazy but I wipe down the engine area everytime I wash the car, along with the hatch area and the door jams.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts