Nissan 350Z / 370Z Tech Forums banner

want a faster Z . what should i do next

16K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Zxrage 
#1 ·
I want my car to be faster but dont know what my next step should be. So far i have k&n typhoon, skunk 2 spacer, borla td exhaust, and unorthadox crank pulley along with b&m short shifter. (Had test pipes but hated the way they sounded even though they had awesome power) I ran a 13.8 1/4 mile but want to drop to under 13.5. please help!!! need some honest opinions on what works and what doesnt. :cheers:

#2 ·
So you want a faster 1/4 mile car? If so, why? To me, that's kinda boring. I like road courses better than 1/4 mile tracks. And how much money are you ready to spend to make your car faster? That's the real question.

If you want to make it faster than your current times, maybe shaving off some extra weight from the car would help. You could always go with lighter and/or smaller wheels. Take out your carpeting in the rear, lose the spare tire, etc.

#3 ·
The 3.91 gears will give you quicker acceleration, they are becoming a pretty popular mod. Other than that you could hook up a shot of nitrous for the track, that will definitely help with your times for a decent price. I'm guessing you're not looking to go the F/I route? That can get pricey rather quickly.

#5 ·
I have heard the 3.91 gears may not help the 1/4 because you will shift and extra gear

If you look at the trap speed and then determine what gear you would be at with 3.5 gearing. You can easily compare to 3.9 and notice it's still 4th gear. You are just higher up in 4th gear.

If you trap greater than 110mph, you would be worried about that extra shift. The 3.5 gearing in 4th gear will get you a little over 120mph.

But then again you are going through the gears faster. It's probably a greater chance of driver error than anything else. :dunno:

#8 ·
Incorrect. The 3.9 gears will get you to 104.5mph at 6850rpm.

See table:
http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Part:Final_Drive_Gear_Sets

whoops, you are right. I was using this graph from 350EVO which goes past 6600rpm.

I guess you would have to raise the limiter. Or shift fast. haha.

It's hard to say you won't have quicker acceleration with the mechanical advantage of the 3.9

Attachments

#16 ·
I'm saying you shoot for a lightweight flywheel/clutch combo! That, along with the gears, should help you tear down that track fast! :thumbsup:
Agreed... I don't even have my Z yet.. I drive an integra right now...
went from the stock 18lb flywheel to a 7.5lb one and it makes a huge diff...

now do that to a car that actually has a decent bit more nut than a GSR :irock: :irock:

#21 ·
Put your Z on a diet, i.e. take out everything you can to free up weight.

Upgrade with a good exhaust and test pipes.

Get a JWT pop charger intake.

Get a set of underdrive pulleys.

Get an intake plenum like crawford, aps or a good spacer.

Work on the ECU - something like a UTEC where you can better tune the car.

This setup should get you to 13.5 or better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.