Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone interested in coming to Wakefield this Saturday.

One of my colleagues and I are itching to do some track work (gotta try out these last round of modifications) and it would be cool to have some more people down.

I've never been on a weekend before so I don't know how busy it wil be, but during the week it's usually quiet.

Given the current scrutiny on sports cars making it pretty much impossible to go on a spirited street drive, it would be a good idea to head out and do it somewhere legal and safe.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Cannot do this Sat Allan - plans with the missus and her relatives are already in place.

Also, my rear brakes are on their last legs and need to be replaced very soon. If I took the car onto a track as is, I doubt that my rears would last a couple of sessions. I think that I may need to get my rotors replaced soon also - 34,000km now.

BTW, I became a member of NSCC forum yesterday following DavidM's link, as they are organising a motorkhana event with the WRX club early in July. Who do I contact about becoming a financial member of the club as I would like to participate in this event and the others that they have planned throughout the year. Also, I've got to get my CAMS licence for some of the events. Are you going to the NSSC v WRX club event? Sorry about getting off topic.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will be competing at the khana, yes. My pictures from last year's event are here.

The CAMS license comes in handy. The NSCC is starting to get more serious about the "club" side of things, and so they're arranging a lot more events. Even if you don't compete you can always get in to the CAMS practice days at race tracks.

I've been dragging my feet on getting my CAMS marshall's license, but my forms are in. Hopefully I can level up, and marshall at bigger events.

They also join in on some supersprints, which I'd like to get into as soon as I can buy a new set of wheels and tyres.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You all missed a really fun day.

It was quite wet (no heavy rain, but occasional drizzle and a damp track which dried completely for one session), which gave me opportunity to push the car in low grip conditions in a safe environment. There were only around 8 cars on the track at most, so there was plenty of room to play.

The DZ101s weren't too bad in the wet, but I felt like I had less grip than normal (for the conditions). I'm not sure if its because it hadn't rained in a while, and oil was being lifted from the various race cars that have traversed the course, but I definitely couldn't push as hard as I thought I could.

I could have tried to soften out the dampers (or even jack up the car and soften the swaybars) but I was having too much fun. Exceeding grip was quite easy, but the car stays poised when it happens and as long as you balance on the throttle and remain smooth on your steering inputs the car is a breeze to hold sideways.

I don't think you'll find me at the next drift competition, but its a lot of fun to throw the car into Turn 6 at around 100km/hr and just hold it sideways all the way next to the ripple strip, before a slight lift and countersteer flicks the tail out the other way to link Turn 7. Then get the car straight and line up the braking marker to go into the tightest turn on the track, and do it all again. :)

Highlight of the day has to come from the colleague I went with, proving the adage that its about the driver, not the car. There were 2 lightly modified R32 GT-Rs on the track, and in the first session (which was on a very damp track) he managed to ride them throughout the entire back section. They only got away on the main straight, but by Turn 5 he'd be on top of them and they couldn't shake him loose.

The guy in the FPV car was even more surprised when he got outbraked into a turn and watched the back of this car disappear.

All of them couldn't believe how quick a Hyundai Elantra can go if you want it to. They were even more surprised when they found out the car was stock, aside from bigger wheels and a set of used tyres that were cast off from a Lotus Cup car.

That didn't change much through the rest of the day, in varying levels of dampness. No street car would get away from him in the corners and quite a few people got passed.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Hi Scathing, thanks for the report. Sounds like you had a lot of fun despite the track being wet. I'm usualy dissapointed when it's wet on a track-day as you can no longer push for the time (and same g-forces). Also all the the rish factor goes up 100 fold as suddenly coming of anywhere/everywhere is risky. Still, having fun out there is more improtant so as long as you drive within the limits there's plenty to be learned.

Also very funny about your friend in a Hyundai, it sounds like he's an experienced/good driver. From my experience it is always about the driver/experience at the track and the river with the best skill/experience are usualy at the top of the time-sheet (no matter what the car). That is until you get a driver like that in a quick(er) car ;-) Though, from 60 people at a' casual' track day there's usualy less than 5 that would fit into that category. In proper 'club spirnts' you get higher ratio of good drivers, but even there you'll be lucky to have 15 car/drivers that will fit into the category where you could say that they are getting the best out of the car (or close to it). Just a general observation - its not unusual to have 30sec (per lap) to separate all the drivers, while all the car there usualy will be separated by more like 20sec (that is going from a basic Barina to a Porrsche GT3).

Last of all, shame you did not get any footage of you drifting through the turns of Wakefield ... I'm sure it would look great. And you're spot on in noticing that the Zed is very 'friendly' even over the limit as long as you're smooth with the throttle and steering (and your entry speed is not ridiculous).

ps. Did you manage to time yourself as well as your friend in the Hyundai? I'm curious how quick he was.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wouldn't do what I was doing at any track I've been on aside from Wakefield, lets put it that way. I wish they'd built Eastern Creek with the same lack of walls, because with that track's immaculate surface it would be great fun to drift on.

If you've ever seen the aerial photo, there's nothing to hit should you make an excursion off-road, except if you hook a massive sideways on the admittedly tight last turn. Even then, the pit wall is a good 100m down the road so you'd have to **** up in a big way to go into it.

As an aside, one of the GT-Rs almost ended up in that wall. :)

The risk factor changes very little in the wet. The only concern is the other cars at this point, and with only 8 on the track you just keep an eye on your rear view mirror approaching turn-in before deciding how hard you're going to push it.

Lets put it this way. Should there ever be a rainy session on Wakefield again, I'll definitely be pencilling it in to my diary.

I did try grip driving the first session, and it was going slow. 3rd gear corners turned into 2nd gear corners, and I was around 25km/hr off the pace down the main straight. On the plus side I did manage to feed the throttle in gently and hold it for the most part, to a point where the other drivers were amazed at the amount of rear end grip in the Z's.

As for non-ridiculous corner entry speeds dorifto style, I don't have the confidence to throw the car in to turns at 160km/hr+, Japanese D1 style. The best I did was around 100km/hr, I'd say. Both Turn 6 and the turn on to the back straight (turn 9 I think, turn 7 is double apex so it might have turn 8 in it too) are approached in 3rd gear well above what 2nd can offer. But since I have to back off and sometimes brake, I'll call it an even hundred.

I did manage to check my speedo exiting the turn on to the back straight (which is a 3rd gear turn) and when the rear tyres regained traction I was doing 120km/hr. My friend was exiting at around 130km/hr at the same corner. ******* had only had 3 laps in my car in its current tune, and 6 laps in total of ever driving a 350Z. :(

No videos, since I haven't got the camera set up in the back yet. I'm trying to find a tripod, and a safe way to "net" the thing in so it can pass scrutineering. I could have asked for a "chase car" to film me had I brought the video camera, but I didn't even know who I could ask to do that.

Photos will be coming soon, though.

No timing either. I didn't time myself because of the lack of pace, and he spent the entire time sideways, so yesterday was more an expression session than anything else.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
The risk factor changes very little in the wet.

I've never been to Wakefield myself, but I kind of fingured out that there are no walls in sight from all the footage that I've seen (ie. on TV or the net). Though, hitting a wall is only part of the problem when it's wet. Most cars that I've seen to come to grief in the wet did so by rolling the car and not necessarily hitting something. The problem is that all the run-off areas are usualy mud/grass and in the wet that is the last thing you want to hit sideways as the car can burry the tyres in and flip itself into a roll.

Though, don't let me deter you from going out in the wet as you do learn a lot more than you can in the dry and if you drive 'sensibly' then there's very little to worry about. In particluar on tracks where the speeds are not that high (ie. Wakefield or Winton).

As for non-ridiculous corner entry speeds dorifto style, I don't have the confidence to throw the car in to turns at 160km/hr+, Japanese D1 style. The best I did was around 100km/hr, I'd say.

It's interesting how loosing the car at 100kph on the track is a walk-in the park ... it should not even raise your pulse ;-) On the road you'd probably be changing your underpants if you loose it at 40kph.

Photos will be coming soon, though.

Cool, looking forward to them.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, there is that rollover issue. Though the speed you carry is a bit slower, which gives you more time to react and correct.

On the times I did slide off the road, I usually killed most of my speed on the tarmac, which kept the speeds down. I was almost halted by the time I dropped the wheels off the hard-top. Unfortunately most of them did involve me going off sideways, which clearly could have involved rolling the car. Unfortunately, coming off straight isn't an option when the back of the car tries to overtake the front and you've given up trying to bring it back.

Going sideways at 100km/hr did raise the pulse and give an andrenaline hit, but since I was generally doing it on purpose it wasn't the pants-staining event it would have been if I'd done it accidentally.

Its one thing to make your car go sideways, and its something else to drive it at the limit of grip and find the tail snap out on some surface imperfection.

That said, Turn 3 was quite greasy and if you took it at pace it would flick out. I did have one moment where I turned too aggressively with too much pace (you'll rev out 3rd and you can spend a little time in 4th before the braking / downshift point, even in the wet) and the tail went out beyond my ability to control.

I didn't get much room to kill speed on the tarmac before I got flung off the track sideways, and I slid for a very long time on the dirt. I did get bad images of putting it into a wall, since wet grass doesn't impede progress very well. Rolling the car, luckily, didn't go through my head.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The DBA slotted rotors and Ferodo DS2500s also stood up very well too.

Obviously in the wet there was more braking force than grip, so fade didn't isn't an issue, but on the one dry session I did push them pretty hard and the pedal felt as solid at the end of the session as it did at the beginning.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll have to try a proper dry session at max attack to see how they cope, but from what I can tell they're fine.

Current setup:

Motul RBF600 fluid + DBA Slotted front rotors (factory rears for now) + Ferodo DS2500 pads

I'll be looking at getting a set of braided brake lines later.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Now with added photos!

Thanks for the pics .... looks like you are in 1/2 of them. Unbelievable, looks like every 2nd photo has the Zed in it :) I take it that the red Hyundai is your fried ... is that him? Some nice pics there.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I only paid for photos of me and him. The other photos are ones they just threw in as a "hot shots" gallery.

It would probably take a couple of CDs to get all the photos the guys took of everyone, and cost me more than I was willing to pay for a lot of photots of random people's cars.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep, that's my friend in the Hyundai.

Considering the sum total of his mods are those rims and tyres, passing a modified GT-R in the wet while toting his girlfriend is very impressive.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Aaaah, I did not realize you payed for the pics ... I thought that it just happned that someone took them and you got your hands on them.

Either way, nice pics.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm probably going to end up buying a DSLR eventually (after getting rims and the bodykit definitely, and tossing up if I get it before or after the diff and coil over kit).

I'm also trying to figure out how I can mount a video camera in the back of the car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts