Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Thanks for the invite Iggy, but i'm getting my racing fix at a motorkhana course this weekend. Also, I don't have track tyres and don't want to wreck my road tyres on the track.

Enjoy the day and be sure to tell us how you fare against the S2k's and type R/S.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
If that wasn't motorkhana day, I'd probably be there. I just bought track rims but the rubber I've got is a bit shoddy.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well back from Wakefield. The day was good fun... except my tyres are so f*cked I could not get any power down at all... so my best time was 1.18.00 (which sux, considering that's 3seconds slower than in the ITR ... grrrrr :( )

I also destroyed my rear pads. Nothing left... and I mean NOTHING. Scraping metal on metal :( Hoping to get some Ferodo2500s there tomorrow. Good day, but dissapointed with the outcome.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Shame about your tyres Iggy. I find it that when your tyres are really shot/slippery that it forces you to drive much cleaner and smoother.

Also hopefully your rear disks did not take too much punishement without pads. Though they would have not done much in terms of heat absorbtion even when you had pads there (ie. thin).

ps. As far as the 1:18.0 goes ... you can only go quicker next time your're there ;-) What time did you manage in the IT-R there (and with what tyres)?

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
The Z33 loves its rear pads.

The Touring munches rear pads like you wouldn't believe.

My tyres are so shot that they won't even handle 3 lap dashes of Oran Park North without going a bit silly....even with a fair amount of cool-down between them.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
wow good stuff Iggs

i envy u guys having the balls to track ur cars, sounds like its alot of fun

the closest id go would prob a deca style event, and even then id have the carbra on :doh:

are the project mu pads any good? or is everyone running ferodos? (i had ferodos on my Alfa at one stage but they were very aggressive and chewed my new discs up) Are the stock pads overheating too quickly?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did a 1:15.05 with Naishou (Adam) in the car AND a shot gearbox in my ITR (3rd synchros were gone... that was on my 2nd gear box before I had the final rebuild). I had worn out RE540 tyres at the time... I am talking about after 10 track days worn out! :)

The brakes actually felt fine, until the drive back to SYdnye... when we hit traffic on the M5, there was this screeching sound from the back.... and Serge and I looked at each other and sighed "Ah ****". :) I should be getting a new set of Ferodos put in at nismo_pete's place in Rushcutters Bay after lunch.

I think this is the last track day I will do before spending some $ on new R spec tyres.

David, you are right, because it was so slippery, I had to concentrate on being smooth and not jerk the car around too much, because every little correction in the streering sets the car off in oversteer (or understeer in 1 corner). It was a learning experience.

Also interesting fact, Serge (some of you may remember my mate at teh Winton day) got to do about 25 laps in my car there too. His first time on a track - got 1:18.70 as best time. So either I suck, or the car was at it's limit at the 1:18 mark. :) I probably suck tho ;)

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
I was pulling approx. 1:18's on Wakefield the first time I went on that track, in stock form.

First track work in my own car and unsupervised, and first time on Wakefield.

Considering the pro drivers are pulling 1:12 in the Z, being 3 seconds off isn't that bad.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Oh, whoops. Give it a little time.

I managed to get into the high 16's on my second visit.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
What is motorkhana?
Driving around a designated course that has been marked out using witches hats, while being timed.

Do a search in this forum using the keyword 'Deca' and you will find links to videos that DavidM has posted of himself and others competeing in various motorkhana courses.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts