Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering how much power would a vortech super charger would give...if you have a dyno for a Vortech please post it up, if not MAX numbers would be fine

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I don't have a dyno but here are the numbers they list. Stock 287/274
vortech 412/355

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I'm not sure. I'll have to get back to you on that.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Originally posted by ayman350z@Sep 3 2005, 10:23 AM
wow....i have seen 397hp
what is the max a Vortech can get to?
[snapback]152215[/snapback]​

I know that you will think I am just bad mouthing super chargers, but just some words of advice:

Asking for max hp #'s won't tell you squat. You need to look for the dyno charts themselves. SC are RPM based and max/peak HP will be made at highest RPM (redline) . As a result, knowing peak HP is not an accurate reflection of "usable" power, which I would consider 3000K to 5500K rpms. Seeing the actual dyno graph and comparing it to a stock Z will be what you want to see. I would also compare those charts to ST and TT setups and compare the area under the curves.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Zivman+Sep 3 2005, 11:33 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-ayman350z
@Sep 3 2005, 10:23 AM
wow....i have seen 397hp
what is the max a Vortech can get to?
[snapback]152215[/snapback]​

I know that you will think I am just bad mouthing super chargers, but just some words of advice:

Asking for max hp #'s won't tell you squat. You need to look for the dyno charts themselves. SC are RPM based and max/peak HP will be made at highest RPM (redline) . As a result, knowing peak HP is not an accurate reflection of "usable" power, which I would consider 3000K to 5500K rpms. Seeing the actual dyno graph and comparing it to a stock Z will be what you want to see. I would also compare those charts to ST and TT setups and compare the area under the curves.
[snapback]152218[/snapback]​

thanks Zivman
well since you have a TT maybe you can educate us a bit about a lot of differences on the SC and the TT

·
Registered
728 Posts
Originally posted by backagain@Sep 3 2005, 05:53 PM
here is mine
400 hp
342 tq
tuned by cpracing,
vortech sc, 3.12 pulley, headers, test pipes and borla td exhaust
[url='http://www.panhandlez.com/hptorquesmall.jpg'][/url]
[snapback]152283[/snapback]​

ayman350z you don't have to be a smart @ss and take everything I say so personally. I was offering good information in my first post. That said, I am not always right, the 'stuff' that I have my car is not the best for everybody, and yes, I think a SC is a viable form of FI, just not the best for me.

I have posted many difference before, and that has nothing to do with me having a TT or not. :doh:

Take the graph above that backagain posted, yes his car makes 400 rwhp, but the point I want to make about a SC Z is this:
Peak HP is at roughly 6200 rpms, so now drop down about 500 rpms to 5650. You are only making about 365 rhwp, now down to 5200 rpms, you are only making 340 rhwp. Going further down, at 4750, it makes a mere 300 rwhp. The power is so RPM dependent, that below 4500 rpms, there really isn't much "go". A comparalble TT Z that makes 400 rwhp, is going to be making more power in the lower RPMs - closer to peak HP than the SC car is. Even though the two cars may make similar peak HP, the TT car will be the one to drive. :shiftdrive:

·
Registered
104 Posts
If you've never had a FI car . A SC is a good start . On every SC thread you have TT and ST guys coming in telling you how much better a Turbo is...well they are right . But it may not be for every one and every ones pocket book . A SC is easier to learn , less complicated . Do some research and decide what better suited for you and your bank account and your know how with cars . With any of the kits , beit a SC , ST , or TT you need to learn about it , and be able to work on it some what . Or have a big enough bank account to cover for shop time when problems arise .

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Here is a side by side Dyno of my old ATI procharger VS my APS TT.Bot units were at 9psi.Note how choppy the dyno was on the procharger compared to the APS.
Now you tell me which Unit you think would perform better long term based on the state of tune, which by the way was very similar A/F ratios.I like SC's but I really would rather see a Z fitted with a nice single turbo.It might be more money initially but in the long run it will save you money,trouble and down time. This is just my opinion of course, after going through dozens of belts on my ATI.. :doh:
Also keep in mind the ATI chart is on a 10.5:1 compression motor and the APS is on an 8.5:1 compression motor, which explains the SC having more TQ down low,but side by side on the same motor,the SC can not compare to the TT kit no matter how much boost you want to run, the TT wil ALWAYS outperform the SC on our cars..

Attachments

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
if i was to go with ST
what really am i looking at, what maintenance costs will i be facing, what hp and gains will i be experiencing?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Originally posted by ayman350z@Sep 14 2005, 09:11 PM
if i was to go with ST
what really am i looking at, what maintenance costs will i be facing, what hp and gains will i be experiencing?
[snapback]155166[/snapback]​

I prefer the ST over the SC and here is my personal reasoning...

1) the maintainance on a SC is higher that a ST IMO
2) more moving parts to break/fix
3) dont have to worry about belts snapping
4) the TQ of a turbo is insane compared to the steady curve of a SC linear power.
5) full boost for the ST @2500rpms, full boost of the SC @6500 rpms
6)Less parasitic strain on the motor to achieve HP goals.

now I can speak from experience having had BOTH on my car at one point, and let me tell you, my SC experience was a night mare. Will al lthe moving parts of a SC there is always something that needs adjusting,tensioning,replacing,ect..The belts stretch and need to be checked every so often or you will throw one or shred one,which sucks. Not to mention the parasitic strain of the SC itself, for example if your HP goals are say 380, and your making 380 whp,keep in mind your using HP to spin the SC to begin with so your actually making say 400 -410 whp when you factor in the parasitic loss the blower creates. Now for a ST, there is not parasitic loss spooling up the turbo, therefore you have 380 WHP your not causng any extra strain on the motor to achieve your goals..
Another thing to consider is that the SC's on the market, I feel lack a sufficinet fuel and timing solution from the factory.So once you add in a decent solution to that, your right where you would have been pricewise for a ST,if not more....
The option is yours and you can not listen to other people when it comes to your car, however take bits and pieces from each person and make your own conclusinon, cause you ultimately have to live with your choice. However I will say this, I personally try and talk people out of doing SC's on the Z as I fell SC are best left for the V8' guys with all their off the line TQ already..Not to mention the SC wine really gets to you after a while..Good luck with whatever you do, but listen to this piece of advice if nothing else, "do not try and simply save a penny and CHEESE out and settle for less than what you actually want" get what you are "SURE you want the first time and do it right" You will be much happier in the end with the results and your choice..Good luck!! :shiftdrive:

Oh ps both a SC and a ST can easily achieve 380 whp on the Z,however the SC needs tuning and a timing solution to achieve anything higher.The potential of the ST is in the low 400 hp range with nothing else needed but some tunning.Price wise your looking at about $1500-2500 MORe for a good ST set up over a SC.
One final thing to also consider is how you drive, cause the SC and ST have different POWER CURVES as illustrated in my graph (although it is a TT, it is similar in performance) above. The way the 2 cars drive and feel are totally night and day, so I also suggest driving both a SC car and a ST car prior to making your choice, to see which one suits your level of driving needs.

·
Premium Member
5,627 Posts
Originally posted by Zivman+Sep 3 2005, 08:10 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-backagain
@Sep 3 2005, 05:53 PM
here is mine
400 hp
342 tq
tuned by cpracing,
vortech sc, 3.12 pulley, headers, test pipes and borla td exhaust
[url="'http://www.panhandlez.com/hptorquesmall.jpg'"]<a href='[url]http://www.panhandlez.com/hptorquesmall.jpg' target='_new'>[/url][/url]</a>
[snapback]152283[/snapback]​

ayman350z you don't have to be a smart @ss and take everything I say so personally. I was offering good information in my first post. That said, I am not always right, the 'stuff' that I have my car is not the best for everybody, and yes, I think a SC is a viable form of FI, just not the best for me.

I have posted many difference before, and that has nothing to do with me having a TT or not. :doh:

Take the graph above that backagain posted, yes his car makes 400 rwhp, but the point I want to make about a SC Z is this:
Peak HP is at roughly 6200 rpms, so now drop down about 500 rpms to 5650. You are only making about 365 rhwp, now down to 5200 rpms, you are only making 340 rhwp. Going further down, at 4750, it makes a mere 300 rwhp. The power is so RPM dependent, that below 4500 rpms, there really isn't much "go". A comparalble TT Z that makes 400 rwhp, is going to be making more power in the lower RPMs - closer to peak HP than the SC car is. Even though the two cars may make similar peak HP, the TT car will be the one to drive. :shiftdrive:
[snapback]152288[/snapback]​

Zivman makes some good points, but I don't agree with his whole argument. A lot depends on how you intend to drive the car.

A TT has a definite advantage from a standstill because of its low-end torque, but that doesn't mean its always a better. In a road race environment, either a SC or TT will run about the same, perhaps even better for the SC. If you are driving properly under these conditions, your revs don't ever drop below 4000rpm in the Z. Above there, the Vortech makes plenty of power where as the TTs power is level or dropping. This, of course, is valid if you are comparing cars running roughly the same HP under this type of 'competition'.

In other circumstances (drag race, low rpm drop, very tight curvy roads/road course), a TT is likely a better option because you either start from a low rpm range or dip down to a low rpm range often.

All that said, my car has had best numbers of just over 420rwhp/340rwtq with Vortech.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
daking....
i think we have to sit down and talk, i want to see what deal you can give me for 2 APS single Turbo
one for a Z and the other for a G35
let me know....or PM me

·
Registered
470 Posts
havent dynoed mine i need to though

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Originally posted by Napoleon@Sep 16 2005, 01:48 AM
havent dynoed mine i need to though
[snapback]155486[/snapback]​

At the stock boost properly tuned you should see 370-380 WHP.The Vortec does come with a timing solution, which is an advantage over the ATI.However if I was to get a SC I would opt for the Stillen believe it or not..As much as I hate stillen and their products their SC is designed really well.It applies some old school technology on a new school car, with the extra fuel injector method.This is a similar design that the APS upgraded fuel system will be,except it will utilize 6 additional injectors. Remember one thing "quality may cost now, but it PAYS later".

The Vortech unit is my second favorite choice when it comes to SC's,it produces a dookieload of power and is fairly quite compared to the ATI.HKS is another option but is WAY overpriced and is not really upgrade friendly..

·
Registered
470 Posts
the only thing that i like better about the stillen is that the torque comes from very low revs, and also i heard its very reliable but i kinda like the way the vortech feels in high revs, and also i wouldt like to change my hood for the stillen, how much hp do u think i will dyno , i have crawford z plenum, 2005 track model lower plenum, dc ceramic headers, high flow cats, tanabe catback, and ngk colder spark plugs? do u think i will put out a little bit more than 380whp? also i had one more question for u guys how much diference does the jwt cams make in a vortech supercharged car cause performance nissan told me its a **** of a diference ?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Originally posted by Napoleon@Sep 17 2005, 01:35 AM
the only thing that i like better about the stillen is that the torque comes from very low revs, and also i heard its very reliable but i kinda like the way the vortech feels in high revs, and also i wouldt like to change my hood for the stillen, how much hp do u think i will dyno , i have crawford z plenum, 2005 track model lower plenum, dc ceramic headers, high flow cats, tanabe catback, and ngk colder spark plugs? do u think i will put out a little bit more than 380whp? also i had one more question for u guys how much diference does the jwt cams make in a vortech supercharged car cause performance nissan told me its a **** of a diference ?
[snapback]155818[/snapback]​

JWT cams would make a bit of a difference up top,about 30-40 hp,but you would loose some HP in the lower sub 4000 rpms,nothing noticable.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ive upgraded my blower to a T-trim , with the built motor and 9 to 1 pistons and 13.5psi [ for now ] . Mustang dyno of 400whp and 319 trq. and add in the 13% like every one else for Dynojet numbers and its 452whp and 357trq.

·
Registered
104 Posts
What I like most about the Vortech is ...it is upgradable very easy with a pulley change and retune . Can be tuned localy or by the user . No need to drive half way across the country or send an ECU across country . As far as thing breaking or breaking a belt ? Never had it happen..and I change them out once a year any way . No biggy . Belt needs to be tightened once or twice in that time...again no biggy .
There are good points and bad points to every FI system . I will not go into the bad points on the APS ST and TT kits . But you can do a search and find out for your self the problems that guys are having and how upgradable it is

1 - 20 of 25 Posts