Nissan 350Z / 370Z Tech Forums banner

Vortech SC install

8K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  socalsean 
#1 ·
I recently installed a vortech SC in my 2003 Touring 6MT. The install went fairly smooth with a few minor setbacks. All in all about 15 hour install. I did it in a 1 stall garage on jack stands. This followed a header install which took about 12 hours. Also done in the same place. Needless to say I had a full week.

So just as everything was done and i tried to start up....PROBLEM.

The car starts but will not rev over 2500 RPM. I initially jumped to the conclusion it was a problem with the Split second computer. But I thought that maybe someone out there has had a similar problem and could shed some light on this mystery. And help would be appreciated.

:banghead:

#2 ·
i also instaled my vortech supercharger not long ago, and i had some trouble starting it up it would take time , then all of a suden one day i turned it on and it started realy easy so i dont know if the ecu is having some problems reading that theres more boost in the car or something but mine doesnt do it any more, and i cant drive it yet cause i crashed 1 week after i got it installed nothing big or anything just a fender and the door hahaha but im pissed!! :werd:

#3 ·
It could be a lot of things I think. I have the same problem with mine. I checked everything over about 5 times and it all looked good. I also redid the wiring to the ECU 3 times and the same problem. When I unhook the SS box from ECU the car would run just fine. I called Vortech and they said to send the SS box back to them because that is probably the problem. The tech guy there kind of came to that right away almost like this has happened to a few people. Right away he said the box is the problem.

The problem with mine is that the idle is very rough moves up and down. When I give the gas it almost wants to stall then it will shoot up to 2500 and thats all.

Your best bet it to make sure you have a real good connection to the ECU, and that all your wires are connected in the right location.

Doesn't it suck when your car has a SC on it and your can't even test it out. I felt like an ass when I did mine. I took about an extra hour to check everything before I started her up and to do some extra precaustions with the fuel line. I finally finished, went and grabbed a beer to celebrate. Went to start the car and it ran like crap :( LOL.

#4 ·
Dude, Sounds exactly like what my car is doing. I was able to get a hold of the right program to download into the SS box my self. However I do not have the SS software. I am willing to buy it, but SS does not have a way to download it from the web and they are closed all weekend. I figure it will help in the future should I want to do any additional tuning. Thanks for the reply.

#5 ·
I have the R4 program and thought about asking them if it would help by running it. or if they knew something that I could do to fix it here. But then I figured they %$&^#* it up so let them fix it. I didn't want to change anything and then if it didn't fix it they would turn around and say I messed it up. I shipped it back to them on friday, I guess I'm going to have to wait until next week to test the car out.

#6 ·
good luck man!!

#8 ·
[/quote]

I thought those may work also, the didn't for me. Give them a try, you never know. It would save you lots of time if they do.

#9 ·
Briankort, did youi get you car running yet? I shipped my box to Vortech on friday and got it back today Wednesday and the car run perfect. Just wondering if you got yours to work. Danm this thing is FAST!!!!! and its still running rich hehehe can't wait ;)

#10 ·
No, car not running yet. But only because I am out of town on business. I have the R4 software waiting for me when I get back. So I will be uploading what is in the SS computer already and comparing it to the file I recieved from the company I bought the charger from. They have the file from Vortech. Also, they have done about 20+ SC installs on 350Z. Check them out cprace.com. I will post a follow up when the car is up and running. I am also planning a dyno on it soon so I will post the results as well. I installed headers at the same time so I am hoping for 350-375 at the wheels.

:irock:

#11 ·
I need to get to the dyno also. I'm gonna try some tunning next week with the R4 program and see if I can get a little more out of it. :irock:

#13 ·
[/quote]

Don't you live in the GTA? I'm wondering how much did the kit cost you and where will you have it tuned.
<div align="right">[snapback]100235[/snapback]
[/quote]

PM'ed

#14 ·
SUCCESS!!! Car is up and running and runs good. I had to recet the SS module using the R4 software and then download the program again. What a hastle. I haven't been to the dyno yet so i don't have any numbers for you but I will be getting there this week or the next. :goodtimes:

I was curious on some feedback from those with a Vortech. I do not notice much in 1st gear at all but if you hammer 2nd 3rd and 4th you can really feel the boost. Is that the way it is tuned or do you guys experience the same thing.

#15 ·
I can feel it in 1st. But when you hit it, it gets ups there so fast that is not as noticable as it is in 2nd and 3rd.

#16 ·
what revs are u guys getting boost? mine starts like at 4500 almos 5000

#17 ·
[/quote]

I'm at around 1 - 1.5psi at 3000rpm if that helps you any

#19 ·
i had heard vortech has more power and also that ati has blown a lot of engines!!

#20 ·
Vortech is reliable. ATI has blown lots of engines. Good power vs $$$. Install was easy. (did it myself). Main reason what its reliability, and it is a compleat kit. If you want you can run with it straight out of the box.

#21 ·
The local shop is telling me the ATI procharger is the one to get, and the stock engine can handle up to 800 hp without new internals. I asked them about blown engines, reliability, etc. and they said that never happens. It's good to hear from other Z owners the real story.

#22 ·
[/quote]

800hp!!!! Holy crap that would be awsome. Make sure you don't get those guys doing your install if you plan on getting a SC or any other type of FI. No to much info on this site, but you can go on my350Z.com to find some more comparisons on different kits to see what will work best for you. Lots of info out there that shows you what people are running and who's has blown up.

Goodluck

#23 ·
My hat goes off to you guys who installed it yourself. Once you get it running and properly tuned your gunna be happy as all **** with the Vortech. be patient with it and if you can get it to somebody with R4 expierience its not that hard.

#24 ·
[/quote]

Thats a lie man lol i dont think the stock internals can hold up to 450 whp!! at least not for long, a guy down here in mexico had the greddy tt kit he played with his boost controller and ohh ohh blown engine he should have left it where it was!!

#25 ·
My Z is up and running and doing OK. I still plan to go back to the dyno this week for some more tuning. I was curious if anyone knows how much boost the VQ35 can take. The reason I am asking is because Vortech makes other pulleys that will give more boost. I mean for $70 who wouldn't want 3 or 4 more psi of boost.

Has anybody tried this? Is it reliable if the car is tuned right for the new pulley?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.