Nissan 350Z / 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Nissan 350Z
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I have a 2005 350Z which I purchased in 2009. Busy updating the insurance and a problem came up regarding the model year. When looking at the VIN decoder tables does not provide the required info as my car's VIN number is differently compiled. I seriously think they made a mistake or they used a different set of tables.

JN1GAAZ33Z0005385
I know JN1 is for Japan manufacturer.
4th digit is for engine type (VQ35DE in my case) but 'G' is for SR20DE. Should be A or D.
5th and 6th digits is for model/series - should be Z3 for 350Z. Don't know what AA refers to?
7th digit is for body type - should be 2 (2-door sedan)
8th digit is for miscellaneous - Don't know what this should be?
9th digit is a check digit (always 0-9 or X)
10th digit is the model year - should be 5 (for 2005)
11th digit is the plant code (CLMNTUWX12345) - 0 is not part of this list.
digits 12 -17 is the serial number of the vehicle - 005385

I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable guys could possibly shed some light on this. Btw, the vehicle was sold in South Africa and first registered in March 2004.

·
Super Moderator
1,856 Posts
According to my reading of the VIN:

JN1GAAZ33Z0005385
Top 3 digits JN1 are for Nissan manufacturer in Japan.
4th digit is for engine type which is 'G' for SR20DE?
5th and 6th digits is for model/series - and yes, it should be Z3 for 350Z. No idea what AA refers to?
7th digit is for body type - Could be 2 (2-door sedan), 3 (hatchback) or 4 (2 door hatch)
8th digit is for miscellaneous - Depends on how the car was equipped (type of airbags)
11th digit is the plant code - should be 'T" for Oppama if it's a Z.

This VIN sounds fishy. I have NO idea how a '05 S. African Z33 could be registered in 3/04? Where is this car now located?

·
Registered
2005 Nissan 350Z
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
According to my reading of the VIN:

JN1GAAZ33Z0005385
Top 3 digits JN1 are for Nissan manufacturer in Japan.
4th digit is for engine type which is 'G' for SR20DE?
5th and 6th digits is for model/series - and yes, it should be Z3 for 350Z. No idea what AA refers to?
7th digit is for body type - Could be 2 (2-door sedan), 3 (hatchback) or 4 (2 door hatch)
8th digit is for miscellaneous - Depends on how the car was equipped (type of airbags)
11th digit is the plant code - should be 'T" for Oppama if it's a Z.

This VIN sounds fishy. I have NO idea how a '05 S. African Z33 could be registered in 3/04? Where is this car now located?
Hi DKMura,

Thanks for the reply. Like you, I realise that the VIN number of my vehicle doesn't conform to the given table and that is what I'm trying to clear up. I have now approached the dealership where the car was sold new but have not had the greatest response from them. What baffles me is why the sequence or configuration of the VIN for my car is not "normal". This is the same number recorded in the owner's manual when sold new.
I suppose the only entity that can clear this up is Nissan themselves. Confusion reigns but the struggle continues.....(y)(y)

·
Registered
2005 Nissan 350Z
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Try contacting the previous owners, maybe they can help.
Will definitely try to contact the previous owners but I don't think they would be able to shed more light on the actual composition of the VIN which does not follow the normal sequencing. They would only be able to confirm that it was the original VIN and possibly confirm the year model number.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts