Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a 03 Z which I bought used 6 mths ago. Mileage is currently 32K miles. I find that along the highways at speeds of 40 – 60 miles per hr, I have this slight vibration when I turn the steering wheel left.

The steering wheel is not vibrating badly or anything but I get this rhythmic humming sound… and it just sort of feels “rough”. No roughness when steering is straight or turning right.

At first I though it’s the tire feathering problem but I recently bought brand new tires (SO3s) and the vibration is still there. No problems with the wheels either as I had them checked out.

Have any of you experienced this? What do you think it might be?

Thanks!

Adam Shepard

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
Usually that humming noise is a clear indicator of tire feathering. But that should not be an issue with new tires.. maybe a bad balance job when they mounted them?

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
I'd also get the car up in the air and check the ball joints. Do this by grabbing the wheel at 9 and 3, and pulling (in an attempt to move the wheel to steer).

Then, grab the wheel at 12 and 6, and attempt to move the wheel to and from you (camber-wise). Repeat on both sides. There should be zero movement during this inspection. If there is, check ball joints for failure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, will give it a try.

New tires been on for 2 weeks. Alignment done to specs.

Adam

I'd also get the car up in the air and check the ball joints. Do this by grabbing the wheel at 9 and 3, and pulling (in an attempt to move the wheel to steer).

Then, grab the wheel at 12 and 6, and attempt to move the wheel to and from you (camber-wise). Repeat on both sides. There should be zero movement during this inspection. If there is, check ball joints for failure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts