Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Seibon TS hood on for a while now and I love it. I get way more looks than I ever did before. However, I've noticed a few things lately. First is that my air vents almost alway blow hot air, even if its cooler outside. My A/C works normal, but even in the hottest weather I hardly ever use it, its nice just to let the outside air cool me. Another is my engine seems to retain heat more. If I 'm driving for even a small amount of time, turn my car off for a half hour to an hour, when I start back up it has hardly cooled down at all.

When I get out of the car the vents on the hood are very hot and I can feel the heat coming out of the engine, but if I put my hand on the middle of the hood it is barely warm, even in the sun.

My point to all this is that the hood itself acts as an insulator. The only way for the heat to get out is through the vents on the hood. Where by the stock hood was like a big heat sink, letting the air over the top of it cool it down and less heat in the engine.

Does it make that much of a difference, I guess its up to personal preference. I like my hood and even though its effects are limited, it will remain on my car. I'm sure other hoods with bigger vents or different arrangements work better or worse. But I just thought I'd post this to see if anyone else has similar experience, and to give a heads up to people who want a hood like this to take it in consideration.

If I'm completely missing something let me know.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
The VQ engine is notoriously a hot one. That's normal. Now you have vents that allow the heat to escape from the bay, so naturally you'll feel the majority of the heat leaking out of the vents. Personally, I think having those vents is a good idea. And I wouldn't worry about it, either.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts