Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I had a new switch wired into the car which overides the VDC. That means that if I want to, I can disable the VDC 100% off so that it never interferes with the car/driving ... all I need to do is press a button.

Thanks no Nuff for pointing me to some very useful information as to what other people have been doing in regards to this. That combined with some service manuals gave me all the information I needed. I had it done by a friend who 'plays' with electronics in the cars for living. It took him about 1/2 an hour ... he just removed the center console, wired a couple new wires into the yaw-sensor harness, and plugged them into a new switch. This switch is next to the seat-warmer sitches as there was already one 'blank' and it fitted right in. Now instead of the 'blank' I have an on/off switch for the VDC. As it is both the 'VDC off' and 'slip' lights on the dash light up when I use this new switch, but only the 'VDC off' light goes on with when the original VDC/TC switch is used (ie. as it always used to).

I have not had a chance to test out whether the VDC it is well and trully bypassed now as I don't know if I can provoke the VDC on public roads (when the OME VDC switch is in the off position). I have done it once or twice before, but I'm not sure if I can consistantly repeat that. Though, all the lights light up as they should and also my ABS is still active even when my new switch is on (ie. bypassing the yaw-sensor and hence the VDC). I can still use the OME VDC/TC swith as that works as it always has, and I can toggle it while driving (as you always could). On the other hand the new switch cannot be toggled like that. I can disable the VDC while the engine is on (ie. while driving), but I cannot switch it back on without restarting the car. I think that's just the way the ECU works ie. once a 'fault' with the VDC is logged, it will keep it disabled and will not check whether the 'fault' is fixed 'till you start the car up again.

Oh, and I found out that TC is also off when I use the new switch to disable VDC. So it functions more or less like the OME VDC/TC switch, but this one should have it 100% disabled. I'm not sure if I'll get to test it properly before I go to DECA, but that's only 3 weeks away and I'll certainly find out there. Hopefully I'll be able to get the car sideways (or more sideways) with the brakes while previously the brakes would straighten the car up (even if it was already sideways).

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DavidM - your mate may have a few interested buyers for this switch.

Well I bought the switch from Repco for $16, so it's the labor which is what the job comes down to. I'm sure any 1/2 competent car electrician will be able to do the same thing, but if anyone in Melbourne is interested then I'll ask him how much he'll want for the labor. I don't think that he will be cheap as he does work for Porsche and Audi Australia.

Nice, it kills vdc, tcs and abs right

No, not ABS ... ABS is still active so it kills only VDC and TC. Though, if you want to kill ABS as well, then you can do so by pulling out one of the fuses in the front ... can't remember exactly which one, but it did disable VDC, TC and ABS. One thing that bothered me when I did it was that the dash light up like a Christmas tree.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Cool DavidM! You are the man!!!

It will be good to let us know the final result on this (although I don't have neither VDC/TC at the moment unless I jump back to use the standard DBW control), it will be good to find out how this thing work.... and you should be able to test it by turning hard into the corner in 2nd gear and you will know if you have the traction system comes in though... and of course you need to make sure that there is no car around while you are doing it!

cheers,

richie

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and you should be able to test it by turning hard into the corner in 2nd gear and you will know if you have the traction system comes in though.

Hi Richie. What you suggest will either produce understeer or oversteer ... it will not really test the VDC. Well, that is when it's in the off state (and even in the OME off state). From what I know, once the VDC is off, it only 'activated' when the back of the car was sliding and you applied brakes. Do you know of other circumstances where it would come on?

I can say for 100% that the TC is disabled with my new switch as I have no problem lighting up the rear wheels ... I already tried that as well as ABS. I'll try and produce some understeer when I get the chance and see if I notice anything different ... but then I did not think that there was any interference from VDC in an understeering situation (that is when the OME switch was off).

ps. How do you find your car with no VDC and TC? Have you ever thought that you'd like to have it back?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
DavidM,

Seriously... I never notice the differences though... if I really want to pick the differences, it will only be when taking off from the dead stop in the rain, but that is actually relating to the TC not the VDC though, thats all...

cheers,

richie

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seriously... I never notice the differences though...

I didn't think you would as I have been driving with the VDC-off 99.9% of the time since I picked up the car. I really only leave it on if it's pouring and that's about it.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Originally posted by DavidM@May 21 2005, 06:16 PM
Today I had a new switch wired into the car which overides the VDC. That means that if I want to, I can disable the VDC 100% off so that it never interferes with the car/driving ... all I need to do is press a button.

Welcome to where my car was when it left the factory! :p

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Last night I took the car for a bit of a test with the the VDC/TC disabled. There's certainly no interference when the car is oversteering or understeering. The only thing I wes no able to test is what happens when the back steps out under braking.

Another bonus of me having the new switch is that I can now have the VDC/TC disabled when I start the car (if I want to). I'm sure that will be handy at the track or drags.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
COOL DAVIDM!

Making me feeling like to switch back to the standard throttle control now!!! it is always safer to have VDC/TC with the car when the weather condition isn't too good...

cheers,

richie

1 - 12 of 12 Posts