Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if / when it makes sense to turn VDC off? The back end seems to break free easier with VDC off.

Does this make sense or is it just my imagination?

If this is the case I'm guessing that AutoX and Time Trials would be best with VDC On...?

Any thoughts / Experiances?

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hehe, so the backend breaks free easier with it *off*?

If that's the case then I'm thinking:

VDC OFF = Drifting / Burnouts

VDC ON = Time Trials / AutoX / Road Racing (good lap times as opposed to crowd pleasing)

???

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
VDC will try to straighten out the car for you. That is why it seems to break free easier with it off. Also, don't forget, when the VDC is on, so is the TCS

·
Registered
10 Posts
VDC off! And if you are in the market for a Z that you want to drive hard, go right to the base model. No VDC, no TCS, and no faulty viscous diff. Plus it's the lightest of the packages. Use the money you saved to buy a good clutch-type diff.

I've autocrossed my base model here in B-stock and finished 3rd or better every time so far. I have yet to be bested by a Z with VDC. Most pro drivers hate the VDC anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well thanks for the thoughts, I'm stuck with the VDC though (got a performance model).

I'm really trying to get a handle on rear wheel drive now. I used to AutoX a 3rd Gen Mistu Eclipse and I know if I tried it now in the 350 I would wipe out every cone in the corners.... :eek:

I made a U-turn recently and hit the throttle (w/ VDC off) and next thing I knew I was pointed back the wrong way! :doh:

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
I wouldn't say that. If I were buying a Z again, I'd go Base this time. No need to waste money on sh!t I don't need like cruise control. And since I don't need to worry about driving the Z in bad weather, I don't need traction control anymore either

·
Registered
50 Posts
The guy running in B stock, you can't run in the stock class with a limited slip. It is not legal. You should be in a street prepared class.

·
Registered
483 Posts
No offense, but what are you talking about? Stock 350Z thas has LSD are in B-Stock. It was a factory equipped option, not an add-on from the dealer. If you think your base is the only thing that is stock, you might want to check again.

VDC is probably good for a non-experience driver. It will keep the car straight for you and will try to get you a pretty good line, I think it is a good option for road course. I just dont think it will work good in autox because things happen way too fast and pavement are usually pretty beat. It's tough for the sensors to work when it is seeing all the funky conditions.

Here are two reasons why not to get a base model, lack of LSD and HID.....

·
Registered
106 Posts
i got my track model for the price of a base so i went for it:). also i have dont plenty of scca and canyon runs with my friends with 240sx's and rx7, all cars were modifyied about as much as mine and i smoke everyone ofmy friends in the canyon by a good amount, i know alot of it has to do with my mad driving skills, and my brembos:), if you are new to rear drive and you do road racing save you self your new car and please leave the vdc on till you get some practice without it..

also i leave my vdc on in the canyon and i know that it gives me the edge cause i can full throttle it and not have to worry about wrecking my new car, so its a win win situation, get the track model and be safest, fastest, and coolest:) f base model IMO

·
Registered
483 Posts
It's legal to have any stock Z in BS, but you cant add a LSD in a base model and call it stock. I think if you want to turn a base into a BS stock car with LSD, you have to also add cruise control, HID, basically everything to turn it into an enthusiast

1 - 17 of 17 Posts