Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys---I was wondering where in the Rev range our variable valve timing kicks in.....? I certainly notice a big difference in power about 4 grand. This is my first Japanese vehicle, let alone one with VVT. I'm used to American power, and it coming on at much lower revs. Any advice for wringing the most outta each gear?

·
Registered
86 Posts
the VVT system we have is continuous. There are a couple methods for doing it (rotating the cam housing to advance the variable timing, cams with 3D lobe grinds that when shifted will change the timing, moving the cam such that the timing is the same but lift changes with rpm..). Not sure which we use.

However, it's probably not a "switched" thing that kicks in, but something that works to optimize airflow at all rpms. You want low-lift, long duration, no overlap at low rpm, and a high lift, short duration, some overlap at higher rpms (generalizations from other engine experiences).

The CVVT is what helps give the Z it's amazing low torque and high rpm HP.

·
Registered
411 Posts
well , ok if u turn off your radio and put your windows up, or down, im not sure
what helps the best, at 2,800 rpm(maunal transmission) u can hear it getting louder, or gargely(is that a word?) u know how our cars gargle,lol well i always hear it there, it sounds better when you're in 2nd gear and slowly take it up to 2,800rpm, it should get louder(tone of sound changes), thats my 2cents anyways,cuz i do feel a pull at around 2800 rpm in first gear

·
Registered
23 Posts
The vertical axis is power produced (Torque). The chart was made for the Nismo Spec cams which are only good for the non-revup motor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts