Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Z is my first high-performance 6 banger.

I love the ride - in many ways.

However, I'm starting to miss the rumble of a V-8. :helpsmilie:

Give me some advice - I may need an intervention.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
The Z is sexxy. Its the only car I ever wanted. I've had some v8's before. Just think would you get more looks in the Z or A v8 unless it's a vette.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Have you looked into the Borla TD? It makes the exhaust sound more like that of a V8 - lower-pitched rumbling sound.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, guys.

Exhaust? Well, in my neck of the woods, there are a lot of V6 pickups with all sorts of exhaust. None of them sound like an 8.

I've been to the website that has sound clips of Borlas and Nismos, etc. I have to admit they sound more throaty, but $1200 for the sound alone (and maybe 5 hp)? Don't know.

Do you know if aftermarket cams make a difference? (just realized this now) The thing that I've noticed is the 3.5 is so SMOOTH. All through the band. Seamless. My '03 Mach1 would shake (!), rattle and roll through the gears.

I'll be okay. I'll keep the Z. I'm just - sigh - going through withdrawals. (like when I broke up with that gymnast...) :cheers:

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
what exactly do you miss? the sound? the feel? the speed? all can be had with the Z. you just need to pick what you want

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
You'll probably only pick up 10-12whp with the cams.

Exhaust, like you say, not much either. But depending on which one you go with can increase the tone or even pitch.

If you want the power of the v8, well, you can spend $3,000 on N/A mods and pick up 20-30whp... or you can spend $5000-8000 and go FI and pick up 100-150whp.

The Z is sexy. I don't make the most power, but I love knowing that I can out run and out stop just about anything I see. ;) Power can come later, when the warranty is up and I'm really bored of her.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes - I understand.

I bought the Z for its overall appeal.

And - for its bullet-proof engine.

I'll be fine. I think I need to go out now and find a Camaro/Mustang/Boxster/S2000 and remind myself why I bought the Z. :shiftdrive:

(and think back to the sound my Austin-Healy 3000 made!)

:irock:

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Do you know if aftermarket cams make a difference? (just realized this now) The thing that I've noticed is the 3.5 is so SMOOTH. All through the band. Seamless. My '03 Mach1 would shake (!), rattle and roll through the gears.
I thought I heard my name being mentioned... :lol:

There is nothing compared to the rumble of a well-done V8. However, there is nothing like owning a V8 with your Z after you mod it correctly. Of course, you could just be happy with what you have.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The Z is my first high-performance 6 banger.

I love the ride - in many ways.

However, I'm starting to miss the rumble of a V-8. :helpsmilie:

Give me some advice - I may need an intervention.
You could feel like a V-8.....go pick on a hi-breed and beat the megahertz out of it. That would feel good.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"High Breed" ??

Not sure what that means.

Do you mean like a Boxster?

If so, last night, as I left the university, I had a Boxster Vert line up with me at a light.

I revved - a little - he did, too.

I switched off the TC - and when the light changed, we had at it.

By the top of 2nd Gear, he backed off. What's up? :shiftdrive:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hmm I wonder if you could shoehorn the V-8 out of the Titan into the Z? You could be the first to try that. That would be BADA$$!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
V-8? shoehorn? How about Vaseline? :rolf2:

However, I did meet a dude at a car show today who's got a performance shop and said he'd love to hook me up with a turbo. Said he hadn't done a Z yet and wanted to. Now...how do I approach the wifey with this one... :shiftdrive:

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
V-8? shoehorn? How about Vaseline? :rolf2:

However, I did meet a dude at a car show today who's got a performance shop and said he'd love to hook me up with a turbo. Said he hadn't done a Z yet and wanted to. Now...how do I approach the wifey with this one... :shiftdrive:
In my ever so humble opinion:

Do NOT have a shop fab you up a turbo kit. Just select one of the fine kits that are currently available.

The popular ones at the moment include; APS, Turbonetics, Greddy and PE.

Top Secret is using HKS bb turbos in their kit that should be available soon.

And then of course there are the Superchargers; HKS, Vortech, Procharger, etc...

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Thanks, guys.

Exhaust? Well, in my neck of the woods, there are a lot of V6 pickups with all sorts of exhaust. None of them sound like an 8.

I've been to the website that has sound clips of Borlas and Nismos, etc. I have to admit they sound more throaty, but $1200 for the sound alone (and maybe 5 hp)? Don't know.

I'll be okay. I'll keep the Z. I'm just - sigh - going through withdrawals. (like when I broke up with that gymnast...) :cheers:
You won't get the same feeling that the Mach 1 gave with the Z.

I recommend a Borla cat-back exhaust and Tomei 268 cams.

Of course, increasing power can always take your mind off the lack of...rawness. :)

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
One of the members of my Z club showed up today at the car show with his new Borla. Sounds good. :cheers:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts