Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just in case you guys missed my post on my350z

Got a chance to install and tune the UTEC yesterday on my car.

Mods are: Gruppe-M intake, Ultimate Racing high flow cats, Ultimate Racing Y pipe, Fujitsubo titanium exhaust, Unorthodox crank pulley. We have not yet swapped my heads over to the new 'crazy" setup, so these #'s are with stock heads, stock plenum, stock cams, stock manifolds in place. Everything on the car now is the same as it was then, save for the catback (I was using an Apexi Hybrid Megaphone exhaust then). I also have not installed the clutch/flywheel yet (OS Giken single plate) into this car. Spark plugs are factory originals with 41k miles on them since new (might start tuning with a fresh set of Iridiums next week if time permits).

Big thanks go out to everyone at ICS for working with me yesterday and letting me monopolize the dyno for the whole morning/night. Very nice guys and we are going to be doing quite a bit of developmental stuff with them in terms of tuning in the near future.

So onto the results!!!!

Baselines were done around 10:30 AM - weather stayed the same all day. After a lot of car talk, lunch, and a couple other cars visiting the dyno too, we wrapped up around 6 PM.

As a point of reference this is a brand new Dynojet machine (4WD model) - a bone stock STi runs 222 whp on this dyno.

Not sure how well these will scan, so if it's difficult to read, here are how the numbers worked out

Baseline (mods listed above and AAM flashed ecu): 242.34 whp, 236/16 ft/lbs
zUTEC Tuned: 254.84 whp, 241.26 ft lbs. These are SAE Corrected #'s.

Uncorrected: basline of 249.55 whp, 243.19 ft/lbs
zUTEC Tuned: 261.81 whp, 247.86 ft/lbs

The biggest difference from looking at the charts is clear though. After tuning, there are no spots in the rev range where we made less whp or less torque. The most prolific gains are up top, where the car needs it most.

The goals here were pretty simple - we want to build a database of workable NA maps that will serve as the basis for our tuning program to follow with our 2 in house Z's, as well as customer cars.

Click here for the dynos:
http://www.z1auto.com/images/scan.pdf

Next up - going to inspect my plugs, maybe try something else out, and get these new heads swapped on (just have to find the time, as we are getting to work on another one of my cars starting this week). Look for the results on the heads/cams in the next couple months.

So, what are my impressions? Very simple. There is no better bang for the buck mod than a UTEC, and IMHO, it should be the basis on which your future mods are executed. Whether you go NA or FI, nitrous, or not, a UTEC should be part of the equation. Thisis one of those mods that serves as the foundation for whatever your future Z plans hold. I am so excited now to finally get these heads/cams/headers on the car with the new clutch/flywheel

Happy New Years everyone!!

Adam, Kwame, Jon, Bill, Mike

·
Registered
120 Posts
Adam, can you describe the methodology used in determining the baseline and post-tune runs? Which runs did you pick for your baseline and post-tuned runs? We usually do best baseline, and best post-tune for comparison purposes. Others might average all of the baseline runs to come up with the numbers. And others might compare the lowest baseline run, to the highest post-tune run.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
questions (bear in mind I am in the UK and up to now an ECU reflash has not been possible)

1- will it work on European cars?
2- who on earth would I go to to get it tuned in the UK? (any official lists of Uk UTEC tuners?)
3- if I buy it from one of the US guys here (Z1 etc) will the unit work on my car?
4- I have K&N Tiphoon, Kinetix V4 Plenum and Hi-Flow cats, and Milltek SS exhaust, should I then expect decent gains?
5- PRICE???

sounds like a great unit for my plans (stay n/a for now and go FI later)

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Great info!

UTEC will be my next performance mod no doubt

Minel im pretty sure you will need a UK spec UTEC. I only say this because we found out the US UTECs wont work on Aus cars, so we have to buy our UTECs locally.

I will be using the Subaru STi factory workshop to tune the UTEC as they are already familiar with how to tune cars on UTEC. Perhaps you should enquire with Subaru dealers or workshops. The WRX guys keenly use the UTECs

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Thanks TPIACE.... I bet they are going to cost twice as much over here than in the UK.... will get in contact with the Impreza forum and see what they say....

·
Registered
58 Posts
So you gained around 12whp and 4wtq just from tuning? I guess 254whp with just those mods isn't bad. Be interesting to see what kinda numbers it can put up with full bolt-ons and stuff.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
armitage - keep in mind these were gans on top of a flashed ecu - the difference over a stock ecu would be even more impressive

The Minel - I did not forget about you...should have the answer about the UK pinouts by tonight or tomorrow

Adam

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TheMinel - pinouts are the same as the UK, so looks like you guys would be good to go for UTEC's :)

If you need any, let me know...we'll have more Monday

adam

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
TheMinel - pinouts are the same as the UK, so looks like you guys would be good to go for UTEC's :)

If you need any, let me know...we'll have more Monday

adam
thanks Adam, we are organising Jermaine to come over here in UK as there's no tuners able to tune it atm, should be good :)

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
would it give any gains, at all? If so how much?

Thanks

Valerio
From all the posts I've seen, the answer to your question is 'yes.'

Here's a quote from one of our vendors: On a Z with test pipes and intake we are seeing 10-13whp gains and 9-12 ft. lbs. gains in the midrange.

http://www.racemrc.com/cart/index.php?act=...od&productId=16

For just under $1k, that's not bad.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
my question was on a completely stock car ;) I did see about na modified cars, hence why Jermaine is flying to the UK to install a few of these and teach a few tuners how to tune it ;)

I was just wondering whether the UTEC can be considered good enough for a completely stock car too :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Actually, Jermaine mentioned it to me and I "might" be tagging along as well if possible....we'll have to see

yes, there would certainly be gains to be had on a stock car as well...how much, will certainly vary car to car. Furthermore, it would serve as the basis for future mods.

Just an anecdotal example. With my mods (intake exhaust, cats, y pipe, pulley), I had my car flashed. Got about 12 whp and around 11 ft lbs, as well as smoothing out the curve. Car ran that way for 2 years, then we installed the UTEC - got the additional gains you see above. While that does not mean you will get 24 whp and 20 ft lbs, you will get gains :)

adam

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
cool! we have 3 cars already and one guy who just wants the UTEC in view of his TN install later on, need to find 2 more and we can talk dates!

3 cars are: mine n/a with cai, plenum, cats and exhaust
Vortech sc with plenum exhaust cats
Vortech sc (if he manages to get installed before the date), exhaust

unfortunately fi or modded na cars are a bit few and far between over here :( hopefully we'll make the numbers so you guys can come over!

:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts