Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ALWAYS USED OLD BATH TOWELS WHICH ARE 100% COTTON TO WASH MY CAR.
ALWAYS
I JUST GOT MY Z BUFFED OUT LAST MONTH AND IT WAS BEAUTIFUL.
I WASHED MY CAR LAST WEEK USING OLD TOWELS, THE TOWELS LEFT SO MANY HIDDEN SCRATCHES ON MY CAR. ITS LIKE IN THE CLEAR COAT. YOU CANT TELL UNLESS U REALLY LOOK AT THE PAINT. I HATE IT
THESE LITTLE SCRATCHES ARE EVERYWHERE, WHAT CAN I DO TO GET IT OUT. IS BUFF THE ONLY WAY?????

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Yes, buffing is about the only way to get deep swirls out. Lighter swirls can be gotten by products like Klasse All-In-One or Meguires Scratch-X with a foam applicator. Microfiber towels are the only way to go if you don't want to scratch your clear coat, and Cobra makes a very nice waffle weave drying towel the size of a bath towel that will dry the entire Z. I always dry mine, then go back over it with a spray wax and a clean microfiber to make sure I didn't miss any spots.

http://www.autogeek.net/waffle-weave-drying-towel.html

If you want any more detailing advice I'll be glad to chime in, as long as you stop using all caps. :lol:

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
QUOTE (danny350z @ Jun 12 2008, 11:57 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=535617
I also believe i am going to buy a sponge now.
is it safe to use scrath x over the whole car ?
I find that the mitts work much better than sponges especially if you rinse them before you dip them back into the soap bucket. Makes a huge difference.

And yes, you can use it over the entire car. Just do one panel at a time, apply it with a foam applicator pad, and use a clean microfiber to buff it off. If you do too big of an area it dries gets very hard to get off.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Omg towels are the devil.!!!!!!!!!! never use towels on new cars. They sell many car cleaning kits out there for cheep. Good luck and :waxing: good!!!

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Cotton towels are good for your wheels and engine work. Invest in some good microfiber towels and some waffle weave towels.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Big Blue Towels :) and MF!

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
QUOTE (DogZilla @ Jul 2 2008, 12:14 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=541933
Microfiber towels are available in a 24 pack at SAM'S Club for around $11.

:biggrin:
Bingo. We have a winner.

These are better than the ones at any auto parts store, and cheaper so you don't feel bad about cleaning wheels, door sills, fender liners...you can just toss them when they are nasty. I use a waffle weave microfiber to dry my exterior, but use the Sam's mf for drying door jams, the hatch area where water drips from, and in the engine bay.

You can also buy microfiber rejuvinator from Autogeek.net and use your towels over and over.

*edit* Never use a fabric sheet when you dry your microfibers.

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Can we change the topic of this thread to hint at useful information in this thread? HATE TOWELS just makes me laugh.

·
5,437 Posts
QUOTE (DogZilla @ Jul 1 2008, 10:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=541933
Microfiber towels are available in a 24 pack at SAM'S Club for around $11.

:biggrin:

Dude I've been buying mine at BJ's (haha, I know).. you get like, 3 towels per pack for $5, and they're really good! They have a picture of a hot girl washing the sushi wing of a blue STi on the packaging.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
They may be pricy, but I really like my two green cobra towels for drying. It only takes about 1 & half to dry the car, and then I use some blue MF towels I got from autotopia to wash the door and trunk sils.

·
Registered
25 Posts
never tried autotopia but properautocare.com is a good site also.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think I'm just biased when it comes to proper auto care. I know the guy over there and he's done some of our tech sessions. They really know their stuff!

I didn't know that autotopia had a forum...I will have to check it out.

·
Registered
136 Posts
hi danny. just use microfibres for washing and waxing. leather chamois to dry up the car after washing.
after you wash your z, always coat it with carnauba wax.

i had my car detailed about 5months ago and up until now, the paint still looks like it's fresh from the showroom . ;)

cheers!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts