Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this in an email today, checked it out on snopes ( buried jet on snopes ) and it's true.

WASHINGTON, Aug. 6, 2003 — American forces have found Russian fighter jets buried in the Iraqi desert, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said in an Aug. 5 press briefing.

"We'd heard a great many things had been buried, but we had not known where they were, and we'd been operating in that immediate vicinity for weeks and weeks and weeks . . . 12, 13 weeks, and didn't know they were (there)," Rumsfeld said.

Read the article on snopes.com search for buried jet

Here are the pics....

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
So what. Is that the weapons of mass destruction that Bush was beating his chest about? What were the Iraqis gonna do, wait til they see enemy warplanes approaching, and then start digging their Russian jets out of the sand to respond? What a bunch of Republican BS.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Originally posted by NismoKid@Aug 25 2004, 07:57 PM
I want a Mig 29 so bad.  Fastest jet in the world at over 1,500 mph!  I bet the US destroyed all the jets after taking them apart.

Not to contadict, but the MiG 29 is far from the fastest jet in the world. The fastest jet is the SR-71 Blackbird. It has an official top speed of Mach 3.3 vice the MiGs top speed of Mach 2.3.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
My cat biuried something in the yard, too.

Gee, I bet after about 2yrs of de-sanding, those POS's could fly again...

NOTHING in Iraq is worth trippin over, ex. how to get our boys home.

My Son almost enlisted 2 yrs ago....lucky he didn't, or he'd have sand in his shoes right now.

·
Registered
85 Posts
While the MIG-29 may be fast, the jet in the photo is NOT a MIG-29. The MIG-29 has its air intakes fully beneath the wings, not in front of them like the plane in the photo. The buried plane is a MIG-25, a clumsy attempt by the Soviets to scare the US in the late 1960s. It worked and inspired the development of the F-15. The US looked a bit foolish when one was captured and it was learned that the plane lacked the sophistication the US had attributed to it.

However, the steel(!) MIG-25 is the faster aircraft, with a maximum service speed of Mach 2.5 versus the MIG-29 at mach 2.3. Actually the MIG-25 flew much faster and was once clocked by the US at mach 3.2 on a flight over Israel; what wasn't known is that the flight completely destroyed both MIG-25 engines. A "redline" was later put on all operational aircraft at mach 2.8 but pilots were forbidden from exceeding mach 2.5.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Originally posted by Richard 350z@Aug 25 2004, 11:30 PM
So what.  Is that the weapons of mass destruction that Bush was beating his chest about?  What were the Iraqis gonna do, wait til they see enemy warplanes approaching, and then start digging their Russian jets out of the sand to respond?  What a bunch of Republican BS.

Mr. Hippie Liberal Kerry Follower Sir,

The finding of these aircraft support the notion that other 'things' can just as easily be burried out amongst the sand dunes.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
The man's got a point.

<====Not Dem. or Rep., but def. not Ind. Those people are screwy. Just look at Nader.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Originally posted by Lo Fi Ched+Aug 26 2004, 06:06 AM-->QUOTE (Lo Fi Ched @ Aug 26 2004, 06:06 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-NismoKid
@Aug 25 2004, 07:57 PM
I want a Mig 29 so bad.  Fastest jet in the world at over 1,500 mph!  I bet the US destroyed all the jets after taking them apart.

Not to contadict, but the MiG 29 is far from the fastest jet in the world. The fastest jet is the SR-71 Blackbird. It has an official top speed of Mach 3.3 vice the MiGs top speed of Mach 2.3.

Sucks they had to take the SR-71 out of duty. That plane was a beast.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Everything gets outdated I guess

Funny how a super high tech plane like the SR71 will get retired, but we're still flying F15s, and F16's, and they were developed over 30 years ago! Where is the 2005 model? Does it come in yellow?

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Originally posted by cedusett@Aug 30 2004, 04:49 PM
Where is the 2005 model?  Does it come in yellow?

No one knows, they're being very hush hush about the plans for the new models

·
Registered
85 Posts
No one knows, they're being very hush hush about the plans for the new models..
Not at all, the F-22 Raptor is already in production. It's been in the press as the winer of the competition for the F-15 replacement for years....the first production model was delivered to the USAF in January 2003. Over 50 are currently in service.

The SR-71 was retired because its job could be done as well or better by spy satellites with no risk to the pilot, a constantly escalating threat to the SR program. The F-15 is still in srvice because there are not yet enough replacement aircraft. It will be phased out as more F-22s enter service.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Originally posted by Got Rpm@Aug 30 2004, 06:34 PM
Not at all,

Thanks for the info. It was actually a reference to Nissan's yellow Z that they said nothing about for months though

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Originally posted by DiRN+Aug 30 2004, 04:44 PM-->QUOTE (DiRN @ Aug 30 2004, 04:44 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Got Rpm
@Aug 30 2004, 06:34 PM
Not at all,

Thanks for the info. It was actually a reference to Nissan's yellow Z that they said nothing about for months though

Yeah you would think as if it were some top secret military project or something

1 - 20 of 24 Posts