Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experiences with the Unorthodox Racing lightweight crankshaft pulley?? Any bad side effects of adding this part? I'd like to get one, but want to know if it changes any idle or driveability characteristics of the car. Thanks.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I can only think of one "negative" item on the UR pulleys.. at idle the power steering is not at full power.. I did not notice this after the install.. the wife pointed it out... so unless you have skinny arms you should be ok

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
I have it and for the price is a great mod

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had the set everything was fine until I decided to remove the Crank Pulley , no such luck . The WASHER decided to melt itself to the Block and not matter what could not get it off , finally had to super heat the Bolt and hope my Crank didn't turn , chewed up my pulley ... imagine all that to put on S/C :)

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Why did it melt?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Let's say (just as an example) I were to throw a rod...they couldn't void my warranty and blame it on the pulley right?? Any other input on the power?? Where is the power at with this...low end torque??

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
In theory, unless the pulley caused you to throw the rod, they can't void your warranty. In practice, I'm sure they'd try though

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Quick answer to that...change them back and pretend like you never had them. Install shouldn't take that long, right? You shouldn't be throwing rods on a motor without boost anyways...but, if you did, just switch it back to stock before you take it in.

·
Registered
78 Posts
LOVE mine!

I only recomend doing the Crank Pulley... The other 2 puley's are just for looks and do not make any extra power.

You will notice...

Quickier Revving = Faster Throttle Response = Faster Engine Response
6-8RWHP Across the full RPM range

http://performancenissanparts.com/catalog/...ey+350z&x=8&y=8

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That looks a little hard to get at in order to install...how hard was it to install??

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
[/quote]

Install wasnt too bad. You will definately need a breaker bar in order to get the crank pulley nut off though. That thing is torqued down to ****. You will need another person in the car standing on the brakes at the same time also. Besides that it is a fairly easy install.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Are these things the same as Underdrive pullies?

They a massively popular on Ford Modular V8 engines (4.6L and 5.4L). The advantages that are to be had are certainly there. Most of the time there isn't much kW or hp increase, but it is in (as most have said) the speed that the engine rev's in, but also because there is a lower turning force at the front of the engine, that means a greater turning force at the back of the engine (ie: the transmission), and turning force = torque, which is a good thing!

The biggest issue is to make sure that you don't underdrive too much, and that you are still getting about 13 -> 13.5V while the engine is running otherwise you risk not charging your battery, or not being able to get a quality radio signal while running the AC.

But they are one of the easiest, cheapest and best value for money performance modifications that you can do. :cheers:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts