Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it seems that I just cannot keep my Z healthy lately. I have the horrid clicking in the right rear axle. My new rims and tires from 350zonlinestore.com arrived out of balance (apparently this is an issue with the company). Th alternator died a couple months ago (more on this in a moment). The engine has been whinning at idle ever since the new alternator. When the AC is on, something near the belts is making a whoosh-whoosh-whoosh-whoosh noise (imagine "whoosh" about 4 times a second). Finally, I noticed something really confusing.

When starring at my belts trying to locate the sound of the whoosh, I noticed that my Unorthodox Racing crank pulley is out of round?!?!?! At idle, you can clearly see that it is not spinning in a perfect circle. It kind of wiggles from side to side.

Since my engine has not experienced an impact and the pulley is built like a brick sh!t house, I am confused as to how this could happen. Even if the under hood temps got up to 400 degrees, that is not enough to soften billet aluminum.

I did have my alternator replaced under warranty a couple months ago. Do you think the tech could have done anything to it? I know he did not take it off. However, do you think that he could have bumped it and bent it?

How about the warranty on the pulley. Anyone know what Unorthodox's warrant is?

At least I can go back to the stock pulley until I get it worked out.

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
Originally posted by peptidbond@Jul 18 2005, 10:12 AM
Well, it seems that I just cannot keep my Z healthy lately. I have the horrid clicking in the right rear axle. My new rims and tires from 350zonlinestore.com arrived out of balance (apparently this is an issue with the company). Th alternator died a couple months ago (more on this in a moment). The engine has been whinning at idle ever since the new alternator. When the AC is on, something near the belts is making a whoosh-whoosh-whoosh-whoosh noise (imagine "whoosh" about 4 times a second). Finally, I noticed something really confusing.

When starring at my belts trying to locate the sound of the whoosh, I noticed that my Unorthodox Racing crank pulley is out of round?!?!?! At idle, you can clearly see that it is not spinning in a perfect circle. It kind of wiggles from side to side.

Since my engine has not experienced an impact and the pulley is built like a brick sh!t house, I am confused as to how this could happen. Even if the under hood temps got up to 400 degrees, that is not enough to soften billet aluminum.

I did have my alternator replaced under warranty a couple months ago. Do you think the tech could have done anything to it? I know he did not take it off. However, do you think that he could have bumped it and bent it?

How about the warranty on the pulley. Anyone know what Unorthodox's warrant is?

At least I can go back to the stock pulley until I get it worked out.
[snapback]133203[/snapback]​

:OMG: :OMG: :OMG: :OMG:

Only thing that I can think of hunter is that they used a "cheater" bar when the were replacing the alternator & the force exerted bent the pulley. (Can't imagine why the would need a cheater bar to remove an alternator, but that's the only thing that I can think of) Will have to check mine when I get home :werd:

As far as the "clicking" from the rear axel - there's a TSB out for that & I had mine fixed a few months ago.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to give you a hand :wavey:

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
For want of a better phrase, that sucks! I'm going to have to agree with Bill on this. I think the mechanic screwed up on the installation. You know what to do from here. :punch:

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Originally posted by Zxrage@Jul 18 2005, 11:11 AM
It could be that they never tightened the pulley all of the way down and it is not sitting flush.
[snapback]133231[/snapback]​

:ahhh: Even scarier! Wouldn't that eventually come out and destroy the engine bay?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
could be the pulley out-of-round killed the alternator...? Which came 1st?... A new Alternator shouldn't (but sometimes does....) go out. Who put the pulley on for you?...

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bill, the use of a cheater bar to install the alternator would surprise me. I don't think that the alternator is a hinged style since there is a tensioner pulley. So, there should not have been a need for one. However, it would not surprise me.

Jinxxy, saying my experience with them was bad is an understatement. However, they do have good prices on rim packages.

The pulley was installed by me about 1.5 years ago. Trust me, I got it on flush to begin with and I am certain that it spun true. This is the first time I have seen it spin out-of-round. The alternator was replaced just 5,000 miles ago (a couple months at best).

Really, the only thing that I can think of is that the mechanic who did the alternator somehow bent it. The power the engine could not do it. The under hood temps are not high enough. An overly tight belt is no where near strong enough to bend it. The only explanation would have to be something physical applying pressure.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe the crank bolt came loose and the pulley is pulling out of its seat? But that does not make much sense because I did torque it down all the way and the pulley is still sitting up close to the engine block.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts