Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just got done putting my upper oil pan on and on first start up it started leaking where the front of the pan meets the block on both sides. I'm assuming that's not normal any advice?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Welcome- VQ engines are precision made and normally do not leak any oil. It would help to know why you replaced the upper oil pan in the first place, together with year and mileage of your Z. Can´t offer any advice without knowing the basics.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome- VQ engines are precision made and normally do not leak any oil. It would help to know why you replaced the upper oil pan in the first place, together with year and mileage of your Z. Can´t offer any advice without knowing the basics.
I was burning a quart of oil a week so I rebuilt the engine and on first start after that it leaked about a quarter cup in 15 minutes. It's an 03 with 109k miles on it.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Thanks for the details. If you rebuilt the engine on a engine stand, there´s something clearly amiss with the front of the motor. Sorry to say, you may need to pull it again to inspect where the front of the pan and the block meet. What kind of sealant did you use to install the pan? Did you use the NIssan FSM?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the details. If you rebuilt the engine on a engine stand, there´s something clearly amiss with the front of the motor. Sorry to say, you may need to pull it again to inspect where the front of the pan and the block meet. What kind of sealant did you use to install the pan? Did you use the NIssan FSM?
I used prematex ultra black and I did use the Nissan FSM

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
OK- have you verified the torque readings on the pan bolts first? If they´re on spec, I suspect something got left out with that big a leak.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK- have you verified the torque readings on the pan bolts first? If they´re on spec, I suspect something got left out with that big a leak.
I found the leak this morning it was coming from between the head and timing chain cover instill pulling the cover to see exactly where its coming from I'm guessing I nicked an o-ring or something.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts