Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know who offers the best brake pads for the non-track model Z's?? I was thinking Hawk, Endless, or Brembo...Any thoughts??

·
Registered
77 Posts
[/quote]

I am personally running the Hawk's and love them. I have run Carbotech's before them and not that much noticeable difference and half the price.. Please contact me as we have them in stock along with GREAT deals on racingbrake factory replacement cross drilled/ slotted rotors.
Thanks,

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
I am running Hawks HPS pads and I love them. I have almost no squeal and virtually no brake dust

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
I'll be going with Hawk HPS when my pads run out on me. I've heard the most reviews from them, and for my uses it seems like they will be perfect.

Do you do any Autocross or tracking? If you do, then I suggest going with a kit like this with stainless steel brake lines, different fluid, and slotted rotors. If you don't, then the pads will be sufficient. Let me know what route you go and how you like it.

http://performancenissanparts.com/catalog/...roducts_id=1362

http://performancenissanparts.com/catalog/...roducts_id=1363

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't do any autocross. I just do daily driving (spirited :shiftdrive: ), drag strip, and the mountain roads around Arizona. I think I might still go with the brake lines though. And to the MRC vendor...I was looking at your site, and you will definitely be getting some business from me. When I go to order things, I will PM you. I actually was looking at getting those exact wheels you have. So far, you are the only other member I have seen with them. My car is the same color as yours. :)

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
So for you guys with other than OEM pads, did you replace just the fronts? Are the Hawks better as far as brake dust? Why do you upgrade your pads?

·
Registered
406 Posts
[/quote]

I had replaced my front pads after 1500 miles of driving. Man, it was getting to be a real drag cleaning the front wheels each time I would return home. After the front brake pad replacement, I found that the Hawks left my front wheels clean after every drive.

** ALSO: Don't forget to apply the anti-squeal material in the replacement process.
:cheers:

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Thanks for the info and tip, Frank! Did you do it yourself?

·
Registered
406 Posts
[/quote]

Yeah Dave. My OEM pads were in excellent shape, but the dust issue was just out of control. Switching to the Hawks is really the best way to go. However, I highly recommend applying a decent anti-squeal material on the shims. I think that's why you hear some people saying that they like having the dust problem solved, but now they HATE the new noise factor. (proper ‘bedding’ is also quite important)
:shiftdrive:

I re-used the OEM Nissan shims with the Hawk pads. I pulled the factory anti-squeal shims off of the Hawks. The Hawk factory really needs to add some extra anti-squeal material to help customers avoid potential brake squealing. There doesn't seem to very much on the replacements.
:doh:

My only regret was not being able to change over to a braided brake line while I was doing the pad replacement. Hmmm, maybe I'll give it another shot the next time, when I have an extra pair of hands (and feet) available for that task.
:goodtimes:

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
[/quote]

Yeah Dave. My OEM pads were in excellent shape, but the dust issue was just out of control. Switching to the Hawks is really the best way to go. However, I highly recommend applying a decent anti-squeal material on the shims. I think that's why you hear some people saying that they like having the dust problem solved, but now they HATE the new noise factor. (proper ‘bedding’ is also quite important)
:shiftdrive:

I re-used the OEM Nissan shims with the Hawk pads. I pulled the factory anti-squeal shims off of the Hawks. The Hawk factory really needs to add some extra anti-squeal material to help customers avoid potential brake squealing. There doesn't seem to very much on the replacements.
:doh:

My only regret was not being able to change over to a braided brake line while I was doing the pad replacement. Hmmm, maybe I'll give it another shot the next time, when I have an extra pair of hands (and feet) available for that task.
:goodtimes:
<div align="right">[snapback]81527[/snapback]
[/quote]
Thanks again! That's good to know about teh shims and a solution to the noise. I'm beginning to think I should leave the job to pros and let them do my lines, fluids, pads and what not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I use EBC Green Stuff pads on the front and the rear. I autocross and road race and these pads provide a good compromise of performance and low brake dust. Plus they are silent, I've never even needed any sort of stop squeel.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm thinking about upgrading to Hawks as well. Can I get away with just swapping out the front or is it best to do all four wheels?

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
[/quote]
You can just replace the fronts if you're concerned about the dust. That's what I'm doing.

I just took the rear calipers off. The pads were still in good condition.

·
Registered
10 Posts
[/quote]
You can just replace the fronts if you're concerned about the dust. That's what I'm doing.

<div align="right">[snapback]83915[/snapback]
[/quote]

I just had the Hawk pads put on all around w/braided brake line and you can really tell the difference regarding fading after a few hours of driving.

I truly bought them just for the low brake dust and WOW what a surprise in performance.

·
Registered
785 Posts
well I have a mixed review on the hawks. I installed the hawks about 4k miles ago becasue my stock pads were begining to squeel. Changed out all 4 on my own and reused the oem shims and ALSO applied anti squeak material to each. After a few thousand miles they squeak after braking over 90+ mph. And they squeak after the 90+ mph braking untill they are let sit for an hour or so unused. Other than that I love them. I just think my next set will be EBC Greenstuff ;-)

·
Registered
173 Posts
[/quote]

<div align="right">[snapback]83915[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, I just went with the fronts.

I haven't had any squeaking problems. I didn't use the OEM shims. The Hawk pads already had shims on the back. So I just applied a generous amount of anti-squeak stuff. I also rounded the pad edges with a file nd burnished them according to the directions on the side of the box.

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
i have ran the EBC on my old car and the Hawks on the Z. i think the hawks dust up alot less.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts