Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
5,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a lip I ordered that is an INGS replica. Fits great. Only problem is it's made of this rubbery urethane stuff that my brother says he can't paint (he owns a shop). He says the paint will crack way too easily if I try to spray on urethane. Has anyone here bought a kit that is urethane and sprayed it?

What a pain in the ass.. I'm pissed man.

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
I got a lip I ordered that is an INGS replica. Fits great. Only problem is it's made of this rubbery urethane stuff that my brother says he can't paint (he owns a shop). He says the paint will crack way too easily if I try to spray on urethane. Has anyone here bought a kit that is urethane and sprayed it?
You factory front bumper was made of Urethane....but come to think of it the paint always got chipped on it really easily. But seriously it shouldnt be a problem. I am looking at a couple of body kits for my Z all made from Urethane. Buddy's Aerosync front bumper is made from Urethane as well. He has had it on his car for a while now so he might be the best person to ask how his paint has held up

N

·
0 Posts
Yeah my Nismo front lip and Nismo side skirts are urethane........have never had a problem with them.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Paint coming off easy is actually a sign of a good bumper...kind of counter-intuitive, but better paint coming off than bumper cracking. It shouldn't be a problem...

·
5,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But are they all pliable and stuff? Man I'm not even exaggerating, you can't hold the thing up by one end. It's like it's made out of jello! Is that how your kits were too?

·
4,328 Posts
I've had no issue having urethane parts painted. The overwhelming majority of production cars have some amount of urethane body work. Not to get all up in your business... but how can your brother run a body shop and not be able to paint urethane? It's almost in the same league as "Gee... I don't know mister... this car looks like it's made out of some sort of metal..."

Ronin Z

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
It's almost in the same league as "Gee... I don't know mister... this car looks like it's made out of some sort of metal..."

Ronin Z
**** Ronin....that was a good one. I needed a good laugh like that today. :rolf2: :rolf2:

·
Registered
74 Posts
But are they all pliable and stuff? Man I'm not even exaggerating, you can't hold the thing up by one end. It's like it's made out of jello! Is that how your kits were too?
Many shops can get an additive to the paint that makes it more flexible and able to wishtand the movement/flex of a urethane piece.

·
5,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've had no issue having urethane parts painted. The overwhelming majority of production cars have some amount of urethane body work. Not to get all up in your business... but how can your brother run a body shop and not be able to paint urethane? It's almost in the same league as "Gee... I don't know mister... this car looks like it's made out of some sort of metal..."

Ronin Z

I'm not sure man, he didn't say he couldn't spray it.. he said it probably wouldn't come out right and most likely would end up cracking due to the pliability of the part. I'm sure he knows what he's doing. I just wish you guys could physically feel the part to understand what I'm saying here. It's flimsy as all ****.

I may just end up putting it on without paint since it's a glossy black finish that matched my SB. Plus, if I kill a few cones during this year's solo-II season, I won't do any damage or chip the paint off.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
I'm not sure man, he didn't say he couldn't spray it.. he said it probably wouldn't come out right and most likely would end up cracking due to the pliability of the part. I'm sure he knows what he's doing. I just wish you guys could physically feel the part to understand what I'm saying here. It's flimsy as all ****.

I may just end up putting it on without paint since it's a glossy black finish that matched my SB. Plus, if I kill a few cones during this year's solo-II season, I won't do any damage or chip the paint off.
There's a LOT of different urethanes in many different durometers (hardness/stiffness). It's possible the replica you have is significantly more flexible than normal body parts. No way to tell without seeing it. From the way you talk it's way more flexible than what is normally seen.

·
4,328 Posts
I just wish you guys could physically feel the part to understand what I'm saying here. It's flimsy as all ****.
Maybe snap a pic of you holding it with it all flopped over? :dunno:
Give us some sort of idea what you're talking about.

Ronin Z

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Once you bolt it on the car it's not nearly as flimsy as it is when you pick it up. Urethane kits get painted all the time. :postpics:

·
Premium Member
5,627 Posts
You're brother needs to learn how to add the proper flex agents. No reason a urethan bumper should crack or chip unless the bumper is very stressed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got that lip in my Z, and I know what you're talking about. But it can be painted, the thing is that you're supposed to use a 'flexible' primer or adhesive, well, that's what the guy from the paint shop said; he even bent it in front of me when I picked it up to show me and the paint didnt crack or nothing. I've had it for some time now and haven't had any problems with it. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Thermosets : These are cast, usually from two components mixed together. These are used for very large parts, or low-volume, limited run parts since the equipment required is vastly less expensive. Fiberglass and CF fall into this category since these are Thermosets with a filler. Common types of Thermosets are Epoxy, Urethane and Polyester.

·
5,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK, as an update, here's what I decided. I did another testfit and in good daylight decided it looked well enough to leave unpainted. In fact, it looked **** close, especially with none of the hassle or worrying about chips/scrapes/cone-induced dings. You be the judge. Hopefully this will give closure to some of the fanboys that have been flaming this thread about my brother not knowing what he's doing in his line of business etc. He was only trying to make sure I wouldn't be unhappy with the outcome/chipping that may have resulted. But anyways..

Also, by leaving it unpainted it will help out my track times. If I don't paint it, I won't hit a single cone this season. If I do paint it, I'll mow down more cones than I can count, at 2 seconds a cone.
Onto the pics:

[attachment=20261:INGS1.jpg]

[attachment=20262:INGS2.jpg]

[attachment=20263:INGS3.jpg]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
That looks like a great fit, Steve. If you're not worried about it matching colors, I say leave it and enjoy. Soon it will have the same road rash pits as the rest of the bumper. :lol:

·
5,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That looks like a great fit, Steve. If you're not worried about it matching colors, I say leave it and enjoy. Soon it will have the same road rash pits as the rest of the bumper. :lol:

Yeah I'd have a hard time finding a shop that could match the custom pit-marks on my OEM bumper lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts