Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was always under the assumption that you had to get either the technosquare or Altered Atmosphere reflash to modify your ecu. I have an 2003 track model, and I saw the unichips has a piggyback chip for the 350z. What are the differences between getting a reflash from TS or AAM, or going with a Unichip?

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Technosquare and Altered Atmosphere basically do the same thing. Altered Atmosphere is just cheaper. They remove the rev limiter, they remove the speed limiter, and they alter the fuel and ignition timing maps.

The Unichip piggyback really isn't a "chip." It's a piggyback. "Chip" refers to the entire ECU, which no one has come up with a replacement as of yet. Piggybacks receive the fuel and ignition timing maps the ECU is sending to the engine and alter them to whatever the tuner had done with the fuel and ignition timing maps. So the ECU thinks nothing is there. (piggybacks are "interceptor-style")

Either one is a good choice IMO.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
will I get the same results from going with a Technosquare reflash or a Unichip. Does a unichip allow you to change your A/F ratio and raise the rev limiter?

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I actually think Unichip's claimed (and supported) gains are more than you will ever see with Technosquare or Altered Atmosphere. Might as well give them a shot, you'll get your money back if you don't make at least 17hp with intake, headers, and cat-back exhaust, and you get it reprogrammed, and you still don't, you'll get a refund.

·
Registered
728 Posts
[/quote]

i would go with the reflash over the unichip.

The unichip will need to be tuned, addimg more to the cost. On top of that, the flash includes a rev limiter increase, removed speed limiter, 100% open throttle body and a raised idle(if needed) all of which the unichip does not offer.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
The Unichip comes already tuned..and it does include removal of the rev and speed limiter.

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
[/quote]

never was too keen on thoes pre-tuned chips or fuel maps, etc. nothing beats doing it right and gettign it tuned for your car, not using something because it worked on another car.

·
Registered
728 Posts
[/quote]

Well forgive me as I was wrong. I just thought it was a fuel map and timing control piggy back.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
[/quote]

never was too keen on thoes pre-tuned chips or fuel maps, etc. nothing beats doing it right and gettign it tuned for your car, not using something because it worked on another car.
<div align="right">[snapback]100635[/snapback]
[/quote]
Which is the beauty of the deal...if it doesn't gain at least 17hp with intake, cat-back exhaust, and headers, ship it back to them, they'll reprogram it, and if you don't that time. You get a full refund.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I have a Unichip and i never knew that the Unichip can Remove the Rev limiter? Because peter(APS) said we can't remove it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
[/quote]

Doesn't do away with the rev-limiter it raises it somewhat.

Cheers

JRMSR :shiftdrive:

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
[/quote]
I'm sure there is an accessory that allows you to alter it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
[/quote]

I've been looking for a piggy back solution ever since I bought my car a year ago, and I' ve never heard about it either. Must have been looking in the wrong places. Is anyone have luck with the unichip wedsite? I'm getting nothing.

Unichip

·
Registered
115 Posts
I looked at their website and couldn't seem to make heads or tails of the dyno's for a Z.

Anybody else check them out?

I am about to go with Alphawerks headers and would like to have a "custom" setup done.

I heard that they guarantee a 17hp gain or your money back. Anybody have any more info on this? What type of increase could I expect in torque?

Maybe I'll have to be the guinnea pig...

Thanks,

AZ350Z

·
Registered
728 Posts
[/quote]

My thoughts on this. There is no way that I can see unichip giving a moneyback gaurantee on 17hp gains. If you look at the dyno of the 350z they state the following gains:
Averate Gains:
12 hp
15.2 torque
Maximum gains:
17.3 hp
20 torque
minum gains:
4.6 hp
11 torque

That being the case, it also looks like they are using BHP, no WHP, so knock off roughly 15% off those numbers.

For what it's worth, there is limited tuning that can be done to the Z in a N/A setup. The car has a tendency to run lean the way it is, so most corrections to A/F are to richen up the ratio, which usually means less HP. Now, the other side of the coin is the timing. They can advance the timing, but this will most likely only gain you a little bit up top.

I have had my ECU flashed and I would trust the tuning by TS or AAM over a generic unichip. The one nice thing I see abou the unichip is that you don't have to send your ecu in and if you have a tuner near you, you can tune in person. For a guy like me that has the nearest unichip dealer 400 miles away, I chose the flash over the piggy back.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I wasn't referring that Unichip will refund your money. 350Z Forums will refund your money. :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts