Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I had a Unichip installed at the APS techday last saturday. My cars baseline dyno reading was 157.1rwkw with a HiTech exhaust, K&N panel filter and UR Pulley. The Unichip was then installed then tuned by Rob from APS, the air fuel ratio was adjusted and the timing played with throughout the rev range. After the tuning was complete my final dyno result was 165.1rwkw. The dyno chart below tells the full story.

After the APS tech day I went for a small holiday down the coast in the Zed. This gave me a good opportunity to see how the Unichip has made an difference.

Driving normally the car picks up quicker from a slight roll in higher gears. Sometime this will be more noticable than other times depending on your revs. The car is also more responsive to small throttle inputs and im shifting earlier, so I dont need to rev it as high when driving around town.

Taking off at full throttle there isnt much difference before 5200rpm but from 5200rpm onwards the car pulls noticably harder to redline, the engine feels like it wants to rev more. This gives the car a quicker more sporty feel. I now have to shift faster as the redline approaches quicker. :shiftdrive: I can also hear a difference as the engine revs harder and a friend says the exhaust note sounds better from outside.

After my trip down south (freeways, back streets, curvy roads, overtaking, high speeds etc) I can easily say that this was a worth while modification for my car. Its made the most amount of difference to my car when I compare it to my other modifications, though im sure my exhaust and air filter were required before hand to get these results. :)

·
Registered
785 Posts
Murray, how much did it cost?
Would be good to see the $ to kw's.
Any idea on the torque increase? Hard to see on the chart.

Also, have you done any before 100m or 400m runs?
Would be good to see a comparison in this too, if you ever get to do some?

cheers

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Murray, how much did it cost?

APS charge $1295, but I'll phone Spiro at AutoTech tomorrow when I have time and see if he'll do forum members a slight discount. No guarantees though.

Would be good to see the $ to kw's.

If you are going to compare to other mods, I would recommend only comparing to ones from the same dyno, as this 8kw gain at the top end felt as large or larger than my HiTech exhaust which was getting something like 15kw on other sydney dynos.

For reference Mike had a APS exhaust installed on the same day and got 11kw and that would have cost around ~$1850(dont quote me on this price) and its supposed to make more power than a HiTech.

Also, have you done any before 100m or 400m runs?

No sorry, I havnt been to the strip yet.

Would be good to see a comparison in this too, if you ever get to do some?

Doing a side by side run against a Zed with the same mods minus the chip would be good, I might do this next time we have the Zeds together providing there is a car meeting this criteria.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Murray

This may seem like a silly question, but if you install a Unichip would your local Nissan mechanic a) identify that you've done something out of left field and b) know what the **** to do with it?

Unfortunately not all of us can call on "progressive operations" to get our cars tuned!

cheers Coatsie

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
coatsie wrote:
f you install a Unichip would your local Nissan mechanic a) identify that you've done something out of left field and b) know what the **** to do with it?

a) I believe the mechanic would only know somethings been done if they are looking in the area of where the Unichip is installed. i.e Under the passengers kick panel in the wiring loom. Which I wouldnt think they do during a service or pretty much anything that isnt related to the ECU wiring.

b) They dont have to do anything with it, they would just go about their normal service and nothing is affected.

Unfortunately not all of us can call on "progressive operations" to get our cars tuned!

I wont be going to AutoTech for a simple service. I would only be going there if I had a modification installed that required a dyno / Unichip tune to get the most from it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Murray

Thanks. Makes sense.

cheers
Coatsie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts