Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have begun doing some research to see if this would be a good mod. here is the info i have found

First, it is important to keep charging systems, air conditioning, power steering, and water pumps moving fast enough for every day driving. Second, not much horsepower is gained from extreme underdriving.

In most applications all of of underdriving is done with the crank pulley, not the accessory pulleys. This is done so maximum weight loss can be achieved at the crank where most of the horsepower gains are found.

can anyyone make comment or share expeirences / brands....

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I have heard that getting just the crank pulley is good enough. The full kit is more for show. I have also read that it's one of the better mods for the money. Well worth it. Toykilla likes it.

Unorthodox Racing is the only one off the top of my head that has been in the business of pulleys for the longest time. I had one for my Z32 back in the 90's.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have the UR Pully. Works GREAT. engine has more response and I have not had any problems with any of the engine functions. :cheers:

·
Registered
60 Posts
UR Pulley. No need for the accessory pulleys, as was mentioned it's just for looks. Perhaps the best bang for the buck. Compared to my baseline dyno #'s, I gained a solid 8 RWHP after the install.

-Bootay

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by BootieMAN@Jul 24 2005, 03:24 AM
UR Pulley. No need for the accessory pulleys, as was mentioned it's just for looks. Perhaps the best bang for the buck. Compared to my baseline dyno #'s, I gained a solid 8 RWHP after the install.

-Bootay
[snapback]136340[/snapback]​

how hard is it to do? how long did it take?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Underdrive pullys will give you more of a gain than a lightend pully. Alot of people are running underdrive pullys with no problems. I do not know of anyone having problems with the other engine acc.. I installed mine in about an hour. The stock pully came right off and the UR pully went on very easy as well, the crank bolt is VERY tight but comes off with a little muscle. The belts are a snap, I just had to adjust the belts about a week later. I love this mod.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyone have Pics or a DIY?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Originally posted by illz33@Jul 24 2005, 02:56 PM
The underdrive pullies for the Z....  Are they dampened so they  won't create dangerous crank whip or mess with precise harmonics?
[snapback]136521[/snapback]​

:rolf2: :rolf2: :rolf2:
This has been asked so many times. The Z's engine is internaly balanced from what I have read. The crank pully does not really have much to do with anything. Alot of people have been running the underdrive UR pullys and have not had any side affects. I have not seen anyone talk about engine problems due to the pully. I have read post about people who have put 20-30,000+ miles on ther z with NO problems, as well as people that run them on other cars they own and they been on them for 80,000 miles. It is a great investment.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Originally posted by lovetoclown+Jul 24 2005, 06:28 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-illz33
@Jul 24 2005, 02:56 PM
The underdrive pullies for the Z....  Are they dampened so they  won't create dangerous crank whip or mess with precise harmonics?
[snapback]136521[/snapback]​

:rolf2: :rolf2: :rolf2:
This has been asked so many times. The Z's engine is internaly balanced from what I have read. The crank pully does not really have much to do with anything. Alot of people have been running the underdrive UR pullys and have not had any side affects. I have not seen anyone talk about engine problems due to the pully. I have read post about people who have put 20-30,000+ miles on ther z with NO problems, as well as people that run them on other cars they own and they been on them for 80,000 miles. It is a great investment.
[snapback]136526[/snapback]​

Trust me, it's a legitimate question. If you have ever seen "normal" whip of a crank shaft under 5,000 revolutions per minute, it may make you think.

I was just asking. I would never remove a dampened pully and replace it with one that is not. To the best of my knowledge, the Z pully is. Doesn't matter how internally balanced the bottom end is. The crank pulley plays a large part in keeping those harmonics at X Hz. If it gets thrown off, it can slowly ruin a motor.

Good to see people have been using them for 20-30,000 miles. Anyone here doing this??

·
Registered
376 Posts
:shiftdrive: If your unsure of the underdrive pully, get ahold of Jason, Jeff or Tony at performance nissan. They are members on htis forum and have ALOT of insight on just about any part for the Z.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by lovetoclown@Jul 24 2005, 09:49 PM
:shiftdrive: If your unsure of the underdrive pully, get ahold of Jason, Jeff or Tony at performance nissan. They are members on htis forum and have ALOT of insight on just about any part for the Z.
[snapback]136551[/snapback]​

Great Idea, I shall.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts