Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Does anyone know if the U tech can tune the VTC pullies required to run the NISMO spec 1 r spec 2 camshafts. I have heard mixed answers.
Thanks.

·
Registered
262 Posts
spoke with richie about this, he seems to think as for now it is unable to tune vtc pullies although an upgrade might be available in the future.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Apparantly the vtc pullies might not be 100% necessary when going with the spec 1 or spec 2 camshafts. Apparantly it is possible that a computer can just tune the flow provided from the cams, without using the pullies.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
mr350gt,

wondering to know, were you the one with a black 350GT who visited at Nizpro lately?! Heard Simon and Dave talked about your car and simon will suggest you to go for Spec 2 cams since he already knows what spec 1 can do already though... you can definitely run spec 1 or 2 cams with the standard computer, but they will not work to the max. extend as what I told Aaron... you will need to play with the cams timing and angles to get the max performance I believe and that's what Nizpro did to tune my car with motec computer... :)

btw, I am picking up my car from Nizpro most likely this Friday and if you happen to be around there, I will love to meet up with you and check out your sexy 350gt!!!

cheers,

richie

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Richie,
Yeah that was me, i came in a little while ago, and im very shortly going to mod my car with simon at nizpro. You say the spec 1 or 2 cams will be capable of running off my stock computer, if so, how do you think the car will run? will the idle be affected and will it become a less smoth ride?
Will I also need the VTC pullies to run the spec 1 or 2 kit?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Steve,

No one has really tried that out though running spec 1 or 2 cams without modifying the timings in the standard computer and I don't know if anyone can do that in Australia since no one has reflashed the stock ECU to run those cams before besides Nismo and Amuse I believe... you don't really need those nismo VTC units to run spec 1 or 2... what VTC units do is just to re-gain the torque normally get lost down low back again when running wild cams since you have more freedom of controlling the cam timing with those gears... and as I mentioned earlier, I "believe" you can only get the max. performance out of spec 1 or 2 cams when you can be able to change the cam timings. I am not too sure how well the car will run though by just dropping those cams in, but most certainly you will need to modify your ecu or run a standalone to do that... I just know that my idle isn't that well with spec 1 when the engine is cold...

Aaron, you don't need to replace valves to run spec 1 or 2... but you definitely need to replace valve springs to use them because the standard valve springs are way too soft for those higher lift cams! Myself and Murray all have a set of nismo springs for sale since we are or going to run Ferrea valve train sets... Murray has a set of brand new nismo springs and I have a set of used nismo springs.. nothing wrong with those nismo springs if you don't go over 7400rpm with the standard valves!

EDIT: VTC pulleys are controlled by the ECU, they are not just mechnical parts that you can just drop in and expect them to work together with those different cams in our VQ35 engine... they are used to "vary" the cam timings and that's operated by the ECU program

Off topic... here are mine Ferrea valve train set installed..

cheers,

richie

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mr350gt,

wondering to know, were you the one with a black 350GT who visited at Nizpro lately?! Heard Simon and Dave talked about your car and simon will suggest you to go for Spec 2 cams since he already knows what spec 1 can do already though... you can definitely run spec 1 or 2 cams with the standard computer, but they will not work to the max. extend as what I told Aaron... you will need to play with the cams timing and angles to get the max performance I believe and that's what Nizpro did to tune my car with motec computer... :)

btw, I am picking up my car from Nizpro most likely this Friday and if you happen to be around there, I will love to meet up with you and check out your sexy 350gt!!!

cheers,

richie
btw, i might be able to go down on friday.
I definately wouldn't mind seeing and hearing your beast either.
I have heard a few brief things about it, and look forward to it.
But at this stage im not sure weather or not ill be able to make it. Keep in touch anyway.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Steve,

No one has really tried that out though running spec 1 or 2 cams without modifying the timings in the standard computer and I don't know if anyone can do that in Australia since no one has reflashed the stock ECU to run those cams before besides Nismo and Amuse I believe... you don't really need those nismo VTC units to run spec 1 or 2... what VTC units do is just to re-gain the torque normally get lost down low back again when running wild cams since you have more freedom of controlling the cam timing with those gears... and as I mentioned earlier, I "believe" you can only get the max. performance out of spec 1 or 2 cams when you can be able to change the cam timings. I am not too sure how well the car will run though by just dropping those cams in, but most certainly you will need to modify your ecu or run a standalone to do that... I just know that my idle isn't that well with spec 1 when the engine is cold...

Aaron, you don't need to replace valves to run spec 1 or 2... but you definitely need to replace valve springs to use them because the standard valve springs are way too soft for those higher lift cams! Myself and Murray all have a set of nismo springs for sale since we are or going to run Ferrea valve train sets... Murray has a set of brand new nismo springs and I have a set of used nismo springs.. nothing wrong with those nismo springs if you don't go over 7400rpm with the standard valves!

Off topic... here are mine Ferrea valve train set installed..

cheers,

richie
Richie,
Any idea if there is a cheaper alternative to the motec, which can help me change the valve timings and so on, in order to run these cams. I really want to get them, but the money for a motec is a little pricey.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Steve,

I am not too sure though... Utec seems to be the best available after market ecu for now (price v.s. option wise). Just don't know when will they release utec cam control option though and also who is going to tune the utec for you? are you going to ask Nizpro to do that too? It might be better for you to go for motec though since there will be no steep learning curve on the motec for nizpro (but if utec is very user friendly, I will say why not!) :)

cheers,

richie

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The utec is the option that i am looking at. Aaron tells me he will have his in his hands within about 2-3 weeks.
Availability doesn't really concern me, its just that i dont know weather or not anyone around melbourne will be able to tune it to its max potential.
Nizpro is a possibility. However I spoke to Simon earlier this afternoon and he said they have no experience with the utec as of yet. So, i am yet to decide on the path i will take. Im going to get in contact with STI Docklands tomorrow, and see if anyone there can help me out.

·
Registered
262 Posts
yeah when i contacted turboxs they recommended sti docklands to tune the utec on the 350z as they are familiar with the software

richie: im thinking about getting the nismo spec2 cams with high lift springs and getting it tuned with a utec, not going to worry about the vtc as of now. also the spec 2 kit that nismo offer dose not include the vtc pullies so maybe they are only necessary for spec1.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Aaron,

many people said that those VTC units aren't necessary and probably that might be why... but also the thing is that for spec 2 kit from nismo, they need to accommondate the changes of the new engine and nismo does not have exhaust VTC units for that and most likely they just decide to drop all the VTC units all together... no one can really tell though. You can use this page from nismo to get more information on spec 2 cams..

http://www.nismo.co.jp/products/engine/parts01.html

and ****, just remember how expensive those spec 2 cams are by revisiting that page again... just parts and shipping might be close to 3K alone.... and that was one of the reasons I settled for spec 1... :)

Going with Utec when they have the cam control module released will be nice to run spec 2 cams and a set of high lift springs for sure! but without the cam control module, I guess you will not be able to gain much from the cams if you cannot play with the angles suggested by nismo (doesn't matter if that curve is from nismo vtc or std vtc, you need the computer to adjust the cam timing to get the benefit)

cheers,

richie

·
Registered
176 Posts
Aaron,

many people said that those VTC units aren't necessary and probably that might be why... but also the thing is that for spec 2 kit from nismo, they need to accommondate the changes of the new engine and nismo does not have exhaust VTC units for that and most likely they just decide to drop all the VTC units all together... no one can really tell though. You can use this page from nismo to get more information on spec 2 cams..

http://www.nismo.co.jp/products/engine/parts01.html

and ****, just remember how expensive those spec 2 cams are by revisiting that page again... just parts and shipping might be close to 3K alone.... and that was one of the reasons I settled for spec 1... :)
Going with Utec when they have the cam control module released will be nice to run spec 2 cams and a set of high lift springs for sure! but without the cam control module, I guess you will not be able to gain much from the cams if you cannot play with the angles suggested by nismo (doesn't matter if that curve is from nismo vtc or std vtc, you need the computer to adjust the cam timing to get the benefit)

When you look at the graph you can see that there is no more peak power to be made using the Nismo VTC sprockets
Peak power is being made with 30 to 40 deg of cam advance in the 5K+ rpm range ( well within the 42 deg range of the stock sprocket )
The big difference is in the 3 to 4K rpm range where 1 full graph line of TQ is increased by advancing the Inlet cam up to 50+ deg.

While I can,t be sure as I have not logged cam advance, I almost certain that the stock ECU would be advancing & retarding the stock cams in aprox the same place in the rev range. EG 10 to 20deg @ 2k advancing up to 40deg @ 3 to 4K & then backing of as the revs increase
As the VTC sprocets are mechanical in opperation , when the ECU instructs the VTC control solinoid to deliver oil to the advance side of the VTC mechanisim, with Nismo sprockets it will advance the extra 10deg as all the oil flow is directed to the + side in the mid range.
Of cause fine tuning these would be a big plus & thats what your MoTeC is capable of

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Peter,

thanks for the explanations... :)

I asked simon to take a look at the nismo VTC units that I have got and asked him to take a few pictures for you (when they are open)... He told me that he does not feel comfortable to open those since those units are screwed pretty tigh together and he doesn't want to take a risk of breaking the units and later resulting in another big job again... Sorry about that mate!

cheers,

richie

1 - 20 of 23 Posts