Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... not even 1300 miles on her, and she's already going in. Pulling out of a driveway tonight, hit a patch of dirt, over corrected, and ran into a No Passing Sign. Was probably only going 5 to 10 mph, but cracked the front bumper from the bottom up 1/2 the way... need a new windshield washer container, new wheel well plastic, and probably an alignment and headlight adjustment... I am pissed and embarrassed...

Be gentle...

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
no need to be embarrassed as these kinds of things happen to all of us at some point in time. Atleast you are ok thats the main thing, and it will get all fixed up soon , so no worry.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
That sucks, man. I've been lucky so far (knock on wood.) I've had so many people try to hit me since I bought my Z, it's rediculous.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Like Jaysen said dont be embarassed. It just happens and its not like you were acting dumb or anything. Its least its not too bad.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Along with all the other work that needs to be done to your Z, I see that your wheels are now scratched and dented, so you'll probably need 18x9's in the front and 18x10's in the rear. Might help with traction...

Muahahahaha...lol! J/K! Time to go radical!

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
As everyone said, no need to be embarrassed. Just be thankful that a. you got it over with b. you weren't in a serious accident where someone got hurt c. the sign probably faired worse than your Z....

Hope you can get that lovely fixed up soon. Is your ins covering it? If you need that work you are looking at a couple grand at LEAST. My first accident (none my fault) was almost in the exact same place but it was an idiot running a stop sign. $6K and 8 weeks to fix her up....Keep us posted! and Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Nothing to really worry about. You are just testing the boundaries of the Z's limitations, and now you know. Like spiderman said, with great power comes great responsibility, or something like that
. At least the bright side is there is very minimal damage and now you have an excuse to get an aftermarket front bumper and maybe clear sidemarkers! And if anyone was there to see you hit the sign and brings it up next time you are around, you can tell them that you don't give a flying [email protected] about "no passing signs", the Z knows no bounds to passing people and taking the lead.... cheer up, it could have been much worse if you cracked your headlight.

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
try going from driving a front wheel drive car for almost 3 years then get back into a RWD. took a bit of adjusting the first week.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Steve350Z@Sep 22 2004, 02:49 PM
try going from driving a front wheel drive car for almost 3 years then get back into a RWD.  took a bit of adjusting the first week.

I know what you are saying... this is my first RWD car, driven others, but this is mine. I do respect the power of the car, and the capabilities of it, but I just need to learn how to correct from a situation like this... and watch out for those **** sand spots on the roads...

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BTW guys... which aftermarket bumper? I want a nice clean look. Originally and still I may opt for a stock + lip, but I'm not sure... any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Check the reviews section of the site (it's down at the moment). You can check all kinds of mods for the Z including body parts. There's a whole section on just front bumpers, as well as front lips if you're going to get it fixed.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Yeah so many bumpers out there. Some good, some bad, some really bad. Just depends on your taste. Good luck on your decision

·
Registered
139 Posts
i dinged up my z too. could have been a ton worse because i swerved to avoid a deer but went onto wet grass directly at a phone pole. downshifted and put it into a powerslide around the pole instead of taking it directly in the nissan symbol on the front.

the thing that saved me was i have been to 3 driving schools, and got invited when i was 21 to test drive the 03 volvos before they came out and review them. try a winter driving school, one that deals with emergency situations, and a performance school. it is worth the money and it saved my ass, i stayed totally calm and was able to handle a situation that could have been ten times worse.

·
Registered
145 Posts
You should be embarrassed. That's the sorriest excuse for an accident I've ever seen!!!

I'm just kiddin'. The Z is a whole lot of car and it can get away from you quickly even if you're an experienced driver. I imagine there are alot of people who've done similar things but didn't have the balls to share with the community.

The good thing is that the damage to the car is more easily fixed than the damage to your pride, and your car will be good as new in no time.

And to look at it in an optimistic light, now you don't have to worry about that dreaded "first damage". It's out of the way so you can just enjoy your car and stop wondering when it will happen. :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Admit it. You were just starting a driveway exit burnout. Dirt under the front tires (no traction), pavement under the rears, steering wheel cocked to the left, and a big stab at the rightmost pedal. (Don't ask how I know this. It was long ago, and the car was a '57 Fairlane with 312 Interceptor mill. Steel bumper makes all the difference.)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by joe c@Sep 27 2004, 09:19 AM
Admit it.  You were just starting a driveway exit burnout.  Dirt under the front tires (no traction), pavement under the rears, steering wheel cocked to the left, and a big stab at the rightmost pedal.  (Don't ask how I know this.  It was long ago, and the car was a '57 Fairlane with 312 Interceptor mill.  Steel bumper makes all the difference.)

Ummm no... but good guess, try again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts