Green Line (or yellow) Mods - TurboXS Intake, Test Pipes & Tuned UTEC
Light Blue Mods - TurboXS Intake, Test Pipes, APS Tall Boy Plenum & Tuned UTEC

Any questions???

Thanks,
Jermaine~

P.S. APS Plenum is Top Notch :cool:

I may play with a little race gas next :eek:
J,
Looks like it was going Lean at 4000 rpms and you smoothed it out a bit on the TQ curve..What exhaust you running?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
J,
Looks like it was going Lean at 4000 rpms and you smoothed it out a bit on the TQ curve..What exhaust you running?
All this was done today so i didn't spend to much time tuning the stock plenum. The dip's are small timing variations. This is still with the Stock Exhaust System.

Thanks to MRC for the Plenum...

They :irock:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Wow! Yea, I have a lot of questions:

1. Who did the tuning and do they have a lot of experience? Or was it developed by a well educated novice?

2. Can/will you share the maps with others in the future?

3. How was the install? Plug and play I presume. Any issues?

4. Does this map effect timing and fuel, or just fuel? I presume both.

5. Did the UTEC come with a "baseline" NA map out of the box or did you have to completely create it from scratch?

6. The dyno, was it load or regular inertia? No really too important, but just curious.

7. How much time was put into developing this map? I presume a WB O2 sensor was used? Did you datalog using the UTEC, or another solution? If you datalogged on the UTEC, were the logs as unfriendly as they sound or were they OK to use?

You are doing exactly what I want to do soon. So, any help would be great.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow! Yea, I have a lot of questions:

1. Who did the tuning and do they have a lot of experience? Or was it developed by a well educated novice?

2. Can/will you share the maps with others in the future?

3. How was the install? Plug and play I presume. Any issues?

4. Does this map effect timing and fuel, or just fuel? I presume both.

5. Did the UTEC come with a "baseline" NA map out of the box or did you have to completely create it from scratch?

6. The dyno, was it load or regular inertia? No really too important, but just curious.

7. How much time was put into developing this map? I presume a WB O2 sensor was used? Did you datalog using the UTEC, or another solution? If you datalogged on the UTEC, were the logs as unfriendly as they sound or were they OK to use?

You are doing exactly what I want to do soon. So, any help would be great.
Tuning was all done by me. I have been tuning for about 3 years. All of my Z UTEC maps will be available on www.turboxs.com upon UTEC release. The UTEC itself is a plug and play install, less than 20 minutes total time. Each UTEC will ship with a base map. The more maps we devise the more choices you will have.

TurboXS has a Dynopack, which is a load bearing dyno. The time involved is not a factor as this is part of what I do for a living. The UTEC has datalogging built into the interface, so we can log all of the engine vitals whenever it is needed. Our Tuner Pro Wideband O2 sensor plugs into the UTEC and allows you to have wideband Air Fuel Ratio in your datalogs. The Tuner Pro also allows you to mount an additional knock sensor on your motor and plug in a set of headphones. This allows you to listen to your motor while on the dyno. The use of det-cans make an awesome tool for tuning.

If you can read the text I have written in this post you will not have a problem understanding or comprehending the UTEC's logger. :)

Thanks,

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
With the VQ, tuning has ALWAYS been the key. Remember, its a mass produced generic engine. There's plenty of room for improvement with the VQ in NA trim. Im thinking around 300whp is possible in stock trim with the correct AFR and timing.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Is it advised to purchase a wideband O2 when you install the UTEC?

This is looking very promising. I like the idea of being able to download the maps off of the website! Very nice!
No you dont.The tuner and Pro-tuner are for those who wish to data-log their A/F and tune their own vehicles.Any tunning shop would have a very accurate O2 sensor and datalogger. All you need N/A is the unit itself and an optional switch to switch maps.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
i am very impressed.
how will this work and function with FI?
the numbers are already up there, but curious to know
It has been working on my car since mid September now and has proved to be very easily tunable and rock steady thus far. Jermaine will be completeing some driveability tuning and Speed density mapping on Monday and Tuesday when they return from SEMA.But at this point it looks like its going to perform FLAWLESSLY..

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
It will basically come with a few N/A base maps for N/A applications.You can do custom tune or download new maps and software updates from Turbo XS as they become available.Its so easy to do , all you need is a computer and a serial cable.Just read the manual and your up and running in about 10 minutes!!
The initial release will have a few different maps Jermaine has developed and will have the ability to raise your rev limiter!!
PS Ayman, Love the avitar!!Where do you find them? I was looking for a "hercules,hercules" from the nutty professor..

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
It will basically come with a few N/A base maps for N/A applications.You can do custom tune or download new maps and software updates from Turbo XS as they become available.Its so easy to do , all you need is a computer and a serial cable.Just read the manual and your up and running in about 10 minutes!!
The initial release will have a few different maps Jermaine has developed and will have the ability to raise your rev limiter!!
Thanks Julian!

Would raising the rev limiter put any extra strain on the motor, and would you keep making power above the factory limit? Would you need to upgrade anything else to compensate for that?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Thanks Julian!

Would raising the rev limiter put any extra strain on the motor, and would you keep making power above the factory limit? Would you need to upgrade anything else to compensate for that?
Raising the revlimit will put an additional strain on the stock rods,yes. The main purpose of raising the rev limiter is to keep from bouncing off the fuel cut off.Raising it a few hundred rpm's,like 200,is not all that bad in my opinion.you will not get and more HP by revving the VQ motor higher in its stock form.
I forgot to mention that ALL the software and maps TX releases are FREE to Download, unlike any other manufacturer or reflash..

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
How soon is this going to be released?
Any idea of pricing at this point?

Have lots of N/A mods already installed - looks like this could get the full potential out of them.
The release date has been pushed back to 2-3rd week of November.You can pre-order through me to ensure you get one.They are selling out fast and there will only be about 50 units in the US on the first order..The pricing will be $1049 for the N/A utec, but I am running a pre-order special at 10% off,once their released we expect to sell them at list for quite a while as they will be in very high demand.
http://www.racemrc.com/utec.html

1 - 20 of 30 Posts