Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finally getting used to the idea of investing $5-6k in a single turbo kit. Being a newbie to F/I, I would really like to hear what you guys think are the pro's and con's of each system.

I do not want to build the bottom end of the engine, otherwise I would go with a tt set-up.

It seems to me that APS has more power, is that correct?

The "other board" has some debates about this but neither system seems to be a clear favorite.

My priorities are:

Safety-no Greddy type blowup
Power-would like to be 375+ to the wheels
Driveability-daily driver

Thanks in advance,

Rich
AZ350Z

·
Registered
145 Posts
My Turbonetics S/T kit shipped today. Based on the things you are looking for (safety, 375 WHP, driveability, no internal work) the T-netics kit is ideal. The kit runs solely on an ECU reflash, so no ECU harness splicing. You'll get around 370-380 RWHP, and this kit is reported to be very streetable. If you want more power, you can apply a boost controller to the equation, but given your parameters, you wouldn't need to. And at around $4800 for the kit and 800-1000 for the install, you can't beat the price. Good luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
[/quote]
I like the turbonetics kit is nice, but the aps kit comes with a return-style fuel system, oil pan, and fuel pump. you have to pay extra on top of that for the t-netics kit. you do not have to splice wires for the aps kit, its all plug and play. the only drawback is the 25 kits aps is selling are spoken for, and there won't be any more till october, i think.

·
Registered
172 Posts
They haven't met the25 for the GB yet.I think tomorrow is the dead line .If they meet it and gettheplenum it'll be a great deal.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
[/quote]
I like the turbonetics kit is nice, but the aps kit comes with a return-style fuel system, oil pan, and fuel pump. you have to pay extra on top of that for the t-netics kit. you do not have to splice wires for the aps kit, its all plug and play. the only drawback is the 25 kits aps is selling are spoken for, and there won't be any more till october, i think.
<div align="right">[snapback]106396[/snapback]
[/quote]
Turbonetics comes with a fuel pump. The oil pan isn't even necessary. Actually, I believe all 50 are taken.

·
Registered
498 Posts
[/quote]

Nis350ZTT, with all due respect, a fuel pump is a far cry from a fully engineered return fuel system that delivers rock steady true Constant Differential Pressure to the 500cc injectors used in the APS single turbo system. In addition, the huge finned air-cooled oil pan supplied with the APS single turbo is a great boost to engine durability particularly at sustained high engine loads and high ambient temperature conditions - by supplying the engine with cooler engine oil.

The huge vertical flow APS intercooler is also a significant enhancement for engine durability (and performance of course) by chilling the charge air and with the vertical flow configuration, far less restriction.

In any case, there is now a small video clip available of the APS intercooled single turbo. See http://www.aps-350z.com/aps_single.wmv

Hope this helps.

George

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
[/quote]

Nis350ZTT, with all due respect, a fuel pump is a far cry from a fully engineered return fuel system that delivers rock steady true Constant Differential Pressure to the 500cc injectors used in the APS single turbo system. In addition, the huge finned air-cooled oil pan supplied with the APS single turbo is a great boost to engine durability particularly at sustained high engine loads and high ambient temperature conditions - by supplying the engine with cooler engine oil.

The huge vertical flow APS intercooler is also a significant enhancement for engine durability (and performance of course) by chilling the charge air and with the vertical flow configuration, far less restriction.

In any case, there is now a small video clip available of the APS intercooled single turbo. See http://www.aps-350z.com/aps_single.wmv

Hope this helps.

George
<div align="right">[snapback]107431[/snapback]
[/quote]
I never said it was, but the statement that APS includes a fuel pump and then excluding Turbonetics all together is false, just making sure people know it DOES come with a fuel pump, NOT a fuel system. Right, not necessary, but a little extra.

·
Registered
11 Posts
350tt, i was only trying to say the aps kit is the more complete out of the two. as for not having an oil pan in the t-netics kit, either you'll have to but that spacer from jwt or buy a pan. i wouldnt trust welding a bung on the stock pan. btw, i was ready to invest in the turbonetics kit but my potential installer(carv2 in DE) advised me the more complete solution would be the aps kit. the turbo sitting right buy the headlamp is cool, but stealth works too. did you happen to see the aps vid? i mean talk about a car that could creep up on you.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Originally posted by Bullitproof@May 31 2005, 09:35 AM
350tt, i was only trying to say the aps kit is the more complete out of the two. as for not having an oil pan in the t-netics kit, either you'll have to but that spacer from jwt or buy a pan. i wouldnt trust welding a bung on the stock pan. btw, i was ready to invest in the turbonetics kit but my potential installer(carv2 in DE) advised me the more complete solution would be the aps kit. the turbo sitting right buy the headlamp is cool, but stealth works too. did you happen to see the aps vid? i mean talk about a car that could creep up on you.
[snapback]107717[/snapback]​

I could be wrong but I dont think you weld a bung onto the stock pan. You have to tap the pan but that should not be a big issue. There is no real reason to get an aftermarket pan.

The TNetics cost less than the APS and seems like a bargain to me. It comes with everything you need, I call that complete. An aftermarket fuel system is not needed until you crank up the boost and I am not sure I'd do that with the stock engine without a build. It also includes very cool black chrome tubing :) ooooh!

I like the APS system also but I dont like the Turbo mounted under the car like that. I understand the advantages of it but here in the North East that is a little unrealistic.

·
Registered
57 Posts
turbonetics kit is great i saw it in person last year at SEMA. i talked to the rep and he told me the kit was ready to go out of the box. turbo magazine also did a write up on the kit and said out of the box with no tuning the car made a reliable 365 to the ground. not too bad for under $5000. my installer performance motorsport said that the kit is good and they have worked out all the kinks. he built the street z that went 8.38 so i think his opiniun is golden. the only thing i'd recomend is that you change the waste gate. the turbonetics ones fall apart. go with a tial. mine is goin in on july5 i did a ton of research on single turo and am confident that dollar for dollar that the turbonetics kit is the best bang for your buck. :cheers:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Originally posted by 35Ounces@Jun 15 2005, 07:23 AM

I like the APS system also but I dont like the Turbo mounted under the car like that.  I understand the advantages of it but here in the North East that is a little unrealistic.
[snapback]114163[/snapback]​

Why is it unrealistic? We have done loads of road/offroad testing with the APS single turbo system in very extreme winter conditions (you guys are the only place on the planet that gets heavy snow) over snow covered roads through large puddles, this does not represent a problem for the APS single turbo system. :cheers:

Peter

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Originally posted by 35Ounces+Jun 14 2005, 05:23 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Bullitproof
@May 31 2005, 09:35 AM
[snapback]107717[/snapback]​

I could be wrong but I dont think you weld a bung onto the stock pan. You have to tap the pan but that should not be a big issue. There is no real reason to get an aftermarket pan.

The TNetics cost less than the APS and seems like a bargain to me. It comes with everything you need, I call that complete. An aftermarket fuel system is not needed until you crank up the boost and I am not sure I'd do that with the stock engine without a build. It also includes very cool black chrome tubing :) ooooh!

I like the APS system also but I dont like the Turbo mounted under the car like that. I understand the advantages of it but here in the North East that is a little unrealistic.
[snapback]114163[/snapback]​

I agree, imagine having to worry about your turbo setup getting screwed up in different ways just from hitting a few potholes everyday...

·
Registered
498 Posts
Originally posted by Nis350ZTT@Jun 15 2005, 08:35 PM
I agree, imagine having to worry about your turbo setup getting screwed up in different ways just from hitting a few potholes everyday...
[snapback]114392[/snapback]​

Maybe you did not read my last post Nis350ZTT, this single turbo position has been thoroughly tested for many thousands of miles over very harsh conditions and the turbo is well above crossmember height and other drivetrain /supension parts so it's all very safe - to make a comment like you have without having tested the product is very immature and illogical imho . :headshake:

Peter

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Peter,

What you say makes sense. If the turbo is above the crossmember and it gets damaged, you got much more serious problems...

Now, how about a discount? Seriously though, is there anyone in AZ who can do the install? I prefer to work with Intense Motorsports.

Thanks for posting Peter, nice to see a company man taking the time to hit the boards!!

Rich
AZ350Z.com

Originally posted by aps+Jun 15 2005, 11:03 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Nis350ZTT
@Jun 15 2005, 08:35 PM

Maybe you did not read my last post Nis350ZTT, this single turbo position has been thoroughly tested for many thousands of miles over very harsh conditions and the turbo is well above crossmember height and other drivetrain /supension parts so it's all very safe - to make a comment like you have without having tested the product is very immature and illogical imho . :headshake:

Peter
[snapback]115157[/snapback]​

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Originally posted by aps+Jun 16 2005, 01:03 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Nis350ZTT
@Jun 15 2005, 08:35 PM

Peter
[snapback]115157[/snapback]​

It didn't look above the crossmember to me. I believe I said "...imagine..." somewhere in there, never said it would definately happen, I think it is possible though.

·
Registered
153 Posts
How much is the APS ST? Is it ready to install out of the box?
Thanks!

Originally posted by kcobean@May 25 2005, 07:58 PM
My Turbonetics S/T kit shipped today.  Based on the things you are looking for (safety, 375 WHP, driveability, no internal work) the T-netics kit is ideal.  The kit runs solely on an ECU reflash, so no ECU harness splicing.  You'll get around 370-380 RWHP, and this kit is reported to be very streetable.  If you want more power, you can apply a boost controller to the equation, but given your parameters, you wouldn't need to.  And at around $4800 for the kit and 800-1000 for the install, you can't beat the price.  Good luck
[snapback]106249[/snapback]​

·
Registered
790 Posts
wow - after reading this post I am buying a supercharger.

Just kidding.

The grass is always greener on the other side. You just have to do the research and buy that you think is right.

The APS kit sounds like they cover all the bases(and the out field and buy you hotdogs).

You do want to protect your investment dont you?

One day when I grow up I hope to have the APS kit but that is just me.

~Z~

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Originally posted by ZPartsGuy@Jun 16 2005, 10:35 PM
One day when I grow up I hope to have the APS kit but that is just me.

One day when I grow up I hope to have the APS kit that came in the Lingenfelter C5s, but that's just me. (and the C5 it's attached to)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts