Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is this thing carb legal yet.

I'm really pushed toward getting this kit because i like the setup.

one problem though.

there is no place around here that will smog it if it's not legal.

believe be i tried.

i ended up selling my other car. the sticker was 2 years old

just looking for reliability, and a kit that wont blow the stock motor.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Not CARB legal yet and never will be.

They are going to try to see if it will pass most state's emission testing though.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I believe Stillen (stage 2 only) to be the only FI kit with CARB approval.
Vortech is also 50-state smog legal + CARB legal.

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/produc...03-04_350Z.html

APS TT should be CARB legal soon.

None of the ST kits will end up being CARB legal from what i'm told, because of moving the cats and having 1 vs. the 2 OEM.

JWT is also close from what I hear. VRT is already selling "non-official" (per JWT) JWT TT kits to their customers.

Stillen stage 1 and stage 2 are both CARB legal.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I didn't see an exemption on the CARB website for Vortech. Odd.

What is VRT doing with JWT kits? more info?
At the bottom of Vortech's page there is a CARB EO number.

I'll get you a link...everyone is still pretty curious on whether they are legit or not right now.

Here it is... http://www.violentracing.com/ProjectCars/

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Yeah, but if you plug that number into that link above, you'll come up empty.

The list hasn't been updated since June though. Did Vortech just get their EO #?
I'm not sure, I know it was this year, and not early this year.

·
Registered
305 Posts
i always thought the vortech was carb legal

im not sure if the TN is Carb legal but you can get it with a cat instead of the test pipe
TuroNetics

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Boy it looks like i'll put things on hold for now.

intake systems seem to come standard on turbo kits, and exhaust is out of the question also, because you don't know if you are going to use the y pipe or not, because of all these pending carb #'s.

It really makes it tough because most kits have preprogrammed ecu's or a piggyback system, usually desigend for a stock vehicle, which is what i want any way. carb exempt, reliable, and non motor blowing is what im looking for.

I woildn't be concerned if i knew a smog guy out here, but since they are getting busted all of the time it makes it hard. i lost 500 dollars to a smog guy that got caught and ended up being shut down. really tough over here in california.

one thing i do think will help as far as smog is concerned is that from the y pipe that merges into a single pipe that goes to our dual tip mufflers will probably pass smog. some shops forget to or dont bother to put the sniffer in both pipes and gives us lower readings which result in a pass. if i were to get a single exhaust on a modified engine i might be concerned that i will not be passing smog.

what does everyone think about this??

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Boy it looks like i'll put things on hold for now.

intake systems seem to come standard on turbo kits, and exhaust is out of the question also, because you don't know if you are going to use the y pipe or not, because of all these pending carb #'s.

It really makes it tough because most kits have preprogrammed ecu's or a piggyback system, usually desigend for a stock vehicle, which is what i want any way. carb exempt, reliable, and non motor blowing is what im looking for.

I woildn't be concerned if i knew a smog guy out here, but since they are getting busted all of the time it makes it hard. i lost 500 dollars to a smog guy that got caught and ended up being shut down. really tough over here in california.

one thing i do think will help as far as smog is concerned is that from the y pipe that merges into a single pipe that goes to our dual tip mufflers will probably pass smog. some shops forget to or dont bother to put the sniffer in both pipes and gives us lower readings which result in a pass. if i were to get a single exhaust on a modified engine i might be concerned that i will not be passing smog.

what does everyone think about this??
Do you have to pass CARB or just a smog test?

·
Registered
120 Posts
As Nis was alluding to, there is a big different between the federal emissions "sniffer" test, and the full blown CARB approval testing.

Technically, when properly tune (14.7:1 at idle and cruise), and with cats installed, and all emissions equipment in proper working order all of the kits should pass the relateively simple Federal Emissions tests.

CARB is totally rediculous, and none of these kits will pass. It is strange the Vortech claims CARB exemption, but then there is a little note saying its not legal in CA....WTF??? I saw this in one of their magazine articles.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They have random test only for california.

have you ever had to have you're car inspected buy these guys????

I have and it's not fun.

They will open the hood and say i'm not testing this, look at this &#@$, i'm not passing that.

i had an engine swap done on my civic.

then there is the ilegal smog.

there is always a new guy to deal with on this as everyone over here is getting busted.

i found a smog guy over here and he ripped me off 500 dollars. he was shut down and then he dissapeared. my car was parked in front of his shop locked with the key under the floormat.

you are constantly looking for a hookup.

quick question.

Then once you get caught you get black listed and then they start randomly giving you test only like crazy. i had two cars and they both get smogged every 2 years but in between years i was getting slammed on test only's this happend for like 5 years and i was tired of it.

I woildnt be suprised if thay started doing random test onlys on my z just to screw with me. you don't understand it's really upsetting. you feel like a freakin circus dog jumping through fire hoops.

this is why i want to go carb exempt.
if no one makes one well it's my loss then.

maybe i'll use NOS like i did in the good old days.

i bought my z because i missed the power, even though my honda ran low 13's and high 12's i would like my z to run these times also.

one thing i like is that niether my honda or integra came close to handling like the z as far as ride quality is concerned.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I would wait for the APS TT to get approved and just save up and buy it, but that's me.

·
Registered
326 Posts
any word if this has become carb legal yet?

·
Registered
702 Posts
There's always a chance that most or none of them will pass. Stillen Stage 2 is your best bet, and sounds to be the reliable, trouble-free, and California Trooper proof kit you're looking for. GL

1 - 19 of 19 Posts