Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hearing alot of pros and cons to turbo. one of my friend thinks I absolutely should not turbo the 05 track z because someone on his evo board claiming to work at a tuner shop in the bay area says that they turbo charged three cars and all threw rods in the first 5,000 miles. this is the first I have heard of this being a widespread problem. supposedly two kits were greddy TT and one was a turbonetics. any one here had a problem?

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
No suprise there. What power level were they at, psi, what kit, any other upgrades? Tons of variables, to just say that all three threw a rod within 5k miles is extremely general/broad. Also, we'd have to see the AFR, dyno, and find out what kind of ignition timing they were pulling. What kind of driving was the driver doing when they threw (a) rod(s)?

This car is capable of 380rwhp for an extended amount of time (20k+) on the stock internals. 90% of going F/I on an N/A vehicle is tuning and I stand by that quote.

The Turbonetics was not the fault of the kit, the owner eventually apologzed after he found out that the installation of the kit was fine per a 3rd party shop. (he was trashing Evolution Autosports) He admits it was probably from his driving and/or a combination of that with the fact that he did not do a dyno run to check AFR before going out. (scheduled for later on because he wanted to enjoy his car)

GReddy...now that isn't suprising. GReddy is more of a tuner kit, though, if you look back on the old posts, 10+ people were running the kit out-of-the-box from GReddy and doing fine. Later on, I imagine more people got to tuning them and then you started hearing about more blown motors. I suggest ignition timing harness + MAP sensor harness for the eManage, Walbro fuel pump, CJ-Motorsports CAS wire (not necessary, though at only $80, why risk it?), and return fuel system (not necessary for ~400rwhp or under)) (preferrable mine when it comes out in a few months ;) ).

APS single turbocharger, twin turbocharger, and Turbonetics single turbocharger kits are the safest turbocharger kits out there. Jim Wolf Technology (JWT)'s will also be among those when it comes out (awaiting carb approval). BTW, APS TT will be carb legal by spring '06 or maybe earlier most likely.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Originally posted by 05trackZ@Jul 21 2005, 03:04 PM
hearing alot of pros and cons to turbo.

That will always be the case as the 350 Z is still very new car/engine and an unknown for many tuning shops. If you do decide to go with FI (in particular with turbocharging) there are 4 key areas you need to know about and fully understand if you are wanting reliable engine operation, they are,

1) Is the FI system full integrated and highly developed and tested to suit the 350Z/VQ engine.

2) Ideally the turbo system must have a well matched turbo charger and intercooler system to support the HP level you need/want for a VQ engine.

3) Does the FI system have a sufficient fuel supply system (fuel injectors, fuel pump, regulator and fuel return system) to cope with the requirements of FI engine - this is absolutely critical for engine safety.

4) An Ignition timing retard system - again this is a must for any FI engine and must be addressed at the point of installation other wise engine damage may occur very quickly.

If you get all of the above correct at day one and then have the engine tuned for the fuel octane that you are using (check the air fuel ratio tune the engine to a safe power level) then reliable engine operation at around 360 to 380 WHP should be relatively easy to obtain.

Hope this helps. :cheers:

Peter

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Originally posted by aps+Jul 21 2005, 08:15 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-05trackZ
@Jul 21 2005, 03:04 PM
hearing alot of pros and cons to turbo.

That will always be the case as the 350 Z is still very new car/engine and an unknown for many tuning shops. If you do decide to go with FI (in particular with turbocharging) there are 4 key areas you need to know about and fully understand if you are wanting reliable engine operation, they are,

1) Is the FI system full integrated and highly developed and tested to suit the 350Z/VQ engine.

2) Ideally the turbo system must have a well matched turbo charger and intercooler system to support the HP level you need/want for a VQ engine.

3) Does the FI system have a sufficient fuel supply system (fuel injectors, fuel pump, regulator and fuel return system) to cope with the requirements of FI engine - this is absolutely critical for engine safety.

4) An Ignition timing retard system - again this is a must for any FI engine and must be addressed at the point of installation other wise engine damage may occur very quickly.

If you get all of the above correct at day one and then have the engine tuned for the fuel octane that you are using (check the air fuel ratio tune the engine to a safe power level) then reliable engine operation at around 360 to 380 WHP should be relatively easy to obtain.

Hope this helps. :cheers:

Peter
[snapback]135503[/snapback]​

I concur. Although, I must admit, I was expecting you to say "If you answer yes to all 4 questions, you are probably using an APS turbo kit." :lol:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Originally posted by 05trackZ@Jul 21 2005, 12:04 AM
hearing alot of pros and cons to turbo. one of my friend thinks I absolutely should not turbo the 05 track z because someone on his evo board claiming to work at a tuner shop in the bay area says that they turbo charged three cars and all threw rods in the first 5,000 miles. this is the first I have heard of this being a widespread problem. supposedly two kits were greddy TT and one was a turbonetics. any one here had a problem?
[snapback]134963[/snapback]​

I would find a shop with 350Z FI experience; someone that will stand behind there work.... That is key.

The kits are only as good as their installer. I'd recommend Turbonetics, APS or PE... The only problem with the PE is that they priced themselfs out of the market...

The Greddy is ok if you take the steps to make it more complete and safe... Jotech has done some nice Greddy kits, but with all the add ons. you are paying a lot more than 5600.00 + labor.... :headshake:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Another thing to note. Turbo cars typically are less cost efficient and need proper maintenence to insure everything is top notch. Another thing to consider, depending on how rough you run your car, turbos don't last very long. What these guys said above is absolutely right and if you are as concerned about a problematic car as it seems you are, I'd suggest you go with a reputable supercharger kit which will ultimately be at a safe HP level with consistancy.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Basically if you are concerned with realibility or more expenses that are additional to the kit install itself then keep it NA and do the most NA mods you can and have a quick car. If you can live with being concerned with small issues or having the possibility of needing to leave the car parked for a while then FI.

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Originally posted by 1G-350Z+Jul 22 2005, 05:36 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-05trackZ
@Jul 21 2005, 12:04 AM
[snapback]134963[/snapback]​

I would find a shop with 350Z FI experience; someone that will stand behind there work.... That is key.

[snapback]136033[/snapback]​

+1...very important. Do this and you will be way ahead of the game.

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Originally posted by westpak@Jul 22 2005, 11:50 PM
Basically if you are concerned with realibility or more expenses that are additional to the kit install itself then keep it NA and do the most NA mods you can and have a quick car. If you can live with being concerned with small issues or having the possibility of needing to leave the car parked for a while then FI.
[snapback]136095[/snapback]​

Well Gus has made a valid point here as well IMO...if you depend on the Z as a daily driver I would not introduce F/I at all.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Originally posted by MRballer350z+Jul 23 2005, 09:29 AM-->
Turbo cars typically are less cost efficient and need proper maintenence to insure everything is top notch.
Less cost efficient than what modification?

<!--QuoteBegin-MRballer350z
@Jul 23 2005, 09:29 AM
Another thing to consider, depending on how rough you run your car, turbos don't last very long.
[snapback]136050[/snapback]​

If you keep clean oil in the engine then a water cooled Garrett turbocharger will in most cases out last many other forms of power adders - I've had over 200,000 miles of fun from a Garrett water cooled turbocharger, keep the oil clean and the engine tuned correctly and the turbocharger will be super reliable. :cheers:

Peter

·
Registered
470 Posts
i would just go with a supercharger its more reliable, and no boost peaks

·
Registered
81 Posts
Originally posted by aps+Jul 24 2005, 07:32 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 23 2005, 09:29 AM
Turbo cars typically are less cost efficient and need proper maintenence to insure everything is top notch.

Less cost efficient than what modification?

<!--QuoteBegin-MRballer350z
@Jul 23 2005, 09:29 AM
Another thing to consider, depending on how rough you run your car, turbos don't last very long.
[snapback]136050[/snapback]​

If you keep clean oil in the engine then a water cooled Garrett turbocharger will in most cases out last many other forms of power adders - I've had over 200,000 miles of fun from a Garrett water cooled turbocharger, keep the oil clean and the engine tuned correctly and the turbocharger will be super reliable. :cheers:

Peter
[snapback]136563[/snapback]​

Haha.. sorry I was really exhausted when I posted. Your entirely right. I would say less cost efficient than a SC IMO. Not really a valid comparison unless you get into the details.

With my personal experience running my car at the track multiple times with a custom built Innovative race turbo, utilizing a proper tuning managment system, efficient cooling and always keeping the fluids and sparks well maintained, I have noticed the turbo will last virtually forever. However, when tracking the car, or constantly abusing the car in which I noted above, this is where problems may occur. A water cooled turbo is essential for a broad life span. I have just found in most instances that turbos in comparisons to superchargers have proven the charger kits to be more reliable in the end. Don't get me wrong, turbo cars IMO are more fun, and definitely make more power, but turbo cars usually require more custom modifications or more of exchanging out factory parts as a turbo system generally makes more power in the end.

If it were me, I'd rock a big single turbo kit from APS and be glorified with a solid 3.5liter of TQ with an exhilarating amount of RAW top end power. To me, that is baller. :irock:

·
Registered
16 Posts
"Don't get me wrong, turbo cars IMO are more fun, and definitely make more power, "

I Agree Turbos are more fun, especially on a nice size motor.... Boost is just addictive! :OMG:

Having a back up car for down time is key, even if it's just a beater... You should have the funds put aside for a possible rebuild... That's why I'm still waiting.

It's an expensive upgrade, but IMO worth it.... You will have a HOT car that pulls like nothing else on the road...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the greddy kit and have put about 65K miles on it over the past 2 years. I just rolled over 90K miles total. I run the standard boot and dynoed at 352 RWHP. The kit, install, and other parts ran about 10K, but the shop i used SP Engineering has built many cars. If you just go with the basic kits out there, it should work fine. It is when you try to up the boost of turn it into a 1/4 mile king you start to take big risks. No question that the VQ35E platform is not a boost "monster," but it is boost compatible. If you want more HP than this you have to rebuild the motor internals, the fuel systems and a number of other things.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts