Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Aloha,
Mahalo Guys! Good thing I got time to sort this all out. found out a parts shop has a chassis dyno and can map the results, however they don't have software to tune the ECU! Also, it seems the Super AFC II would be a not so good choice.

It would take about $1800.00 in shipping charges just to get the Z to the West Coast and back. Looks like when I am ready (sometime late next year, I hope), it may be less expensive to fly a tech over. Shouldn't have too much difficulty finding one huh? BTW, sorry, but he'll probably have to stay at the Hilton Waikoloa Resort. :lol:

A Hui Hou

PaulO

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Aloha,
Mahalo Guys! Good thing I got time to sort this all out. found out a parts shop has a chassis dyno and can map the results, however they don't have software to tune the ECU! Also, it seems the Super AFC II would be a not so good choice.

It would take about $1800.00 in shipping charges just to get the Z to the West Coast and back. Looks like when I am ready (sometime late next year, I hope), it may be less expensive to fly a tech over. Shouldn't have too much difficulty finding one huh? BTW, sorry, but he'll probably have to stay at the Hilton Waikoloa Resort. :lol:

A Hui Hou

PaulO
IMO overkill for a N/A engine with bolt ons to fly a tech in to tune your car.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Aloha,
Yes does sound expensive to do that. However, if I end up spending $$$ for headers, complete exhaust and cams (already have intake), another $700-$800 (if I can find a tech who'll accept airfare, room and car as payment) can be counted as another "mod".

Then again, I could get it dyno'd here and send the ECU in with the mapping to get it re-flashed. Not as good as doing it on the dyno, however it is a more economical compromise.

Anyone got a recommendation and contact for either option?

A Hui Hou

PaulO

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Daking has a point about 'overkill'. You could get the Utec...& do some datalogging, then set timing, fuel maps yourself with a laptop, once you know what the car's doing.

I've read up on some of this, & it seems doable by a journeyman enthusiast...(I'm looking to do this on my LS-1 car...)

·
Registered
467 Posts
You dont have to be somewhat educated to tune the UTEC? I know I wouldn't want to mess with any parameters, unless I knew what the **** I was doing.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
My Z currently has a CAI. This weekend I am installing a true dual exhaust system with high flow cat replacements. Can't I just perform the procedure for re-starting our ECU to have the original ECU compensate for the proper ratios?

I am installing the Kinetix SSV in about a month, and do not want to keep going back to a tuner.

Will "re-starting" my original ECU work?, Do I have to get it professionally tuned? Love the benefits that come with the UTEC, but do not want to spend that type of money right now.

What do you guys recommend??

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Paul-O, you should probably wait for the UTEC to come out, and purchase it. When they ship it to you, they can load it up with base maps with mods like or similar to yours and your ratios will be close to the same. Or, you could tune the UTEC yourself with a serial port and a laptop. Either way, that option sounds a lot more simple and cheaper than shipping your car to the west coast and back. :werd:

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
350zluvr, you should be okay with the mods you have, even after you install the SSV. I think you could get a ton more power out of the car with an engine management and it would definitely have a safer A/F ratio, but if you run 93 or 94 octane you should be safe until you have the money to purchase and install an engine management.

I don't think resetting the ECU is going to do much for you. :werd:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I just got off the phone with Doug from CrawfordZ, and he noted that with a CAI, True Dual exhaust, and High flow cats, I should be just fine. Our stock ECU has 8 base maps that will notice the mods, and adjust accordingly.

He did say that he has heard that the SSV makes the engine run richer, and might have to be leaned out, but he marked this as hearsay, and so, he wasn't sure about the SSV. + this was from FI guys' experience. I am N/A.

Buddy, thank s for your quick response. I had previously heard about resetting the ECU, and wasn't sure if this would be a more effective approach :dunno: . Both you, and Doug confirmed that this process is not necessary, thanks!

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
No problem. I'm interested in this thread too, and this is the first time I've seen it. I'm hoping that I can tune mine in the near future.

If you do any before/after dyno's of the SSV, be sure to post them up! :lol:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
the SSV makes it run Richer?? Do you mean leaner?

I cannot see how it flows less air, or somehow adds fuel.

:dunno:
Yeah, I thought it was just me that thought it was supposed to be leaner and not richer. I think he must have meant leaner.

More air = leaner

More fuel = richer

On another note, my dealership charges $104 to diagnose and correct my ECU to work with the SSV. Is this a good deal? Not too familiar with too many good tuners around the Dallas / Plano area.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
On another note, my dealership charges $104 to diagnose and correct my ECU to work with the SSV. Is this a good deal? Not too familiar with too many good tuners around the Dallas / Plano area.

Correct your ecu? As in raise the idle? Not too much they can do to my knowledge. Unless they are re-writing the ROM and I'm not sure I'd want the dealership doing that.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Correct your ecu? As in raise the idle? Not too much they can do to my knowledge. Unless they are re-writing the ROM and I'm not sure I'd want the dealership doing that.
Let me start off by saying that I am completely clueless when it comes to engine management and tuning. I displayed the extent of my knowledge on this subject matter in my previous post by stating:

more air = leaner
more fuel = richer

Having said that, I am not sure if they can download a map or something onto my ECU, or use another method to adjust my stock ECU to properly accomodate my mods.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
To my knowledge, the best they can do is adj idle. and if it's a late '04 or '05 I don't believe they can adjust idle.

What other mods do you have currently?

At this point, I'd say it's not a good deal.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
furthermore, I recommend going and having a base line dyno run.

This will determine what your Air Fuel mixture really is. From there you can make a decision on what you want to do to correct it, if any.

Typically a base line dyno run would cost between $80-120 per hour.

If you need assistance, I may be able to locate a shop / dyno in your area.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
furthermore, I recommend going and having a base line dyno run.

This will determine what your Air Fuel mixture really is. From there you can make a decision on what you want to do to correct it, if any.

Typically a base line dyno run would cost between $80-120 per hour.

If you need assistance, I may be able to locate a shop / dyno in your area.
My current performance mod is only a CAI. Saturday, I will be installing Crawford Z high flow cats and APS 2.5 True dual exhaust system this coming Saturday @ 8:00. This does not allow me time to run a base line dyno.

About a month from now, I plan on installing the Kinetix SSV, and this is beginning to be the mod that is becoming a growing concern due to tuning involved after.

My Z is an '03, and if you know of any shops or dynos that you migfht recommend in or nearby Plano, that would be great.One way or another, thank you for all of your help! :clap:

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
My current performance mod is only a CAI. Saturday, I will be installing Crawford Z high flow cats and APS 2.5 True dual exhaust system this coming Saturday @ 8:00. This does not allow me time to run a base line dyno.
Sweet. You don't need to check your A/F ratio (air fuel) for that.

About a month from now, I plan on installing the Kinetix SSV, and this is beginning to be the mod that is becoming a growing concern due to tuning involved after.
It may or may not require fuel added. This is when you would preferably dyno it and see where you are at.

Typically, a baseline dyno is referring to a baseline, ie: no mods.. But in your case if you really want to know what's going on ( and I recommend to)... Do a dyno run before and after the SSV. The SSV may flow enough to lean it out and need fuel enrichment.

When I bolted on all the parts including headers, it was very lean. Like bad lean. Stupid lean. I didn't care, as I was getting it tuned the same day (actually the next two minutes). If you do enough to promote more air (headers, intake manifold along with full exhaust, etc.) you most likely need more fuel. But, every engine is different, so it's hard to make a rule.

If you realize you need more fuel... time to start looking into an ECU reflash, piggy back (UTEC) or full stand alone system to control things. (motec, haltech, autronic)

My Z is an '03, and if you know of any shops or dynos that you migfht recommend in or nearby Plano, that would be great.One way or another, thank you for all of your help! :clap:

I'll see what I can find. You're very welcome. :thumbsup:

To save me time, what is the zip code there?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
My zip is 75075, but if there is a database that you will be using, you can just provide me with its name - should be easier for you. I have already searched Google and Yellowpages.com, but I do not have any names of shops that I can trust. I know of Alamo Autosports, but that is a good hour away from me.

The tuners that I know of that are nearby me, are famous for ripping people off :headshake:

41 - 60 of 70 Posts