Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Tunning on a N/A car makes a BIG difference over just bolting on the components.Here is a Dyno form Turbo XS with a few minor bolt ons and tuned on the UTEC.More info available here. http://www.racemrc.com/utec.html

Broken BLUE line represnets stock car
Broken YELLOW line represents test pipes,CAI and utec,STOC EXHAUST!
Solid BLUE line represents CAI,TEST PIPES,AND PLENUM..Still STOCK exhaust..

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
That was the other thing I was trying to think about early this morning. I was thinking that you'd need an external plug-in to help tune the car, which is something most dyno shops do not willingly give out for free. You have to purchase something like the UTEC and have them install it.
The UTEC is fully user tunable with no more than a standard serial port cable and a lap top..Also as awlways maps and software updates are FREE on their website, unlike any other manufacturer or reflash,you always can update mapping for FREE!!

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I wouldn't wait til FI to tune..

slap on full exhaust, with headers and hf cats.. and take a look at your A/F readings.

Mine were 15.3:1 !!!!!!!!!!! before the ecu flash. Can you imagine running 15.3:1 and not knowing?? talk about rude awakening...
This is also true..Alot of people dont realize by adding CAI, Exhaust,Headers,test pipes,ect..Your increasing the ability of the engine to breath,which makes the A/F ratio run leaner, as in your case,dangerously lean..Although N/A cars are a bit more forgiving,they will detonate themselves to death with an A/F ratio of 15.3 on 91 octane and aggressive timing such as the timing the Z already runs..At your point a reflash or a method of tuning and adding fuel is a must for safety as well as untapped power and getting the most bang for your buck on your N/A mods. The ECM will not compensate for that lean of an A/F ratio in open loop no matter what you do.It has a set parameter it works off of based on MAF readings that at some point becomes limited in its ability to compensate fuel and timing, at which point knock is inevitable.When knock is detected the ECM will switch into a low octane mapping , robbing you of any power you would have made with your mods.Most people confuse this map switching for the ECM LEARNING MYTH..

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Aloha,
Okay, so no shops on Island to re-tune (one's I'd trust), much less any with a dyno. Guess my only options are:

1) Ship her to Oahu (haven't checked for shops there yet).

2) Send ECU in for re-flash.

3) Buy the hardware and software to do it myself via laptop.

4) Don't mod (NOT AN OPTION)!

Any other options, suggestions, ideas, $0.02, comments?

A Hui Hou

PaulO
PM me a list of your N/A mods and octane available and Ill see if we can get you a Turbo XS UTEC shipped there with a pretty close base map that will add some noticable HP.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Which units? PowerFC?
The Super AFC II's.Every customer we had that came in with one installed had issues throwing the car into limp mode for some reason.It is also very east to botch the install and cause some major headaches in your wiring harness.We have repaired 2 wiring harnesses as a result of poor and improper installs from other local shops.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Aloha,
Mahalo Guys! Good thing I got time to sort this all out. found out a parts shop has a chassis dyno and can map the results, however they don't have software to tune the ECU! Also, it seems the Super AFC II would be a not so good choice.

It would take about $1800.00 in shipping charges just to get the Z to the West Coast and back. Looks like when I am ready (sometime late next year, I hope), it may be less expensive to fly a tech over. Shouldn't have too much difficulty finding one huh? BTW, sorry, but he'll probably have to stay at the Hilton Waikoloa Resort. :lol:

A Hui Hou

PaulO
IMO overkill for a N/A engine with bolt ons to fly a tech in to tune your car.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I just got off the phone with Doug from CrawfordZ, and he noted that with a CAI, True Dual exhaust, and High flow cats, I should be just fine. Our stock ECU has 8 base maps that will notice the mods, and adjust accordingly.

He did say that he has heard that the SSV makes the engine run richer, and might have to be leaned out, but he marked this as hearsay, and so, he wasn't sure about the SSV. + this was from FI guys' experience. I am N/A.

Buddy, thank s for your quick response. I had previously heard about resetting the ECU, and wasn't sure if this would be a more effective approach :dunno: . Both you, and Doug confirmed that this process is not necessary, thanks!
Actually there are about 3 timing maps for different octane modes and knock reduction.The ECU will not "learn" a mod and adjust for it under Wide Open Throttle conditions no matter what anyone says.All your doing by adding breathing mods is leaning out an already RICH A/F factory ratio.There is a point at which the increased A/F will become harmfull to even a N/A engine. The only time the ECU will trim or add fuel is at idle and under partial throttle loads,not under WOT. A lean A/F mixture would be ideal for adding some more fuel to make some extra power.
As far as the Kinetix manifold making the car run richer, there are two things that may be going on.
1) a vacume leak from a poorly machined surface causing rich A/F at part throttle
2) It is restrictive and actually flows "LESS" air/CFM than the stock plenum,which is more likely the scenario.

Tuning is key for getting the extra power out of the car.The UTEC is definitely a good option,I myself have just started tuning the UTEC on my own car in the past few days and feel like a pro already.It is really easy to use and tune even by the novice tuner....The Utec and the Tuner Pro provide to be a POWERFUL tuning tool in the right hands!

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
So I was looking at some of the features / capabilties of the UTEC and found out that the only con is "Piggyback control over the A/F parameters ". What does this mean in layman's terms?
I believe it means that the UTEC controls the injectors Via the ECM, but it fires the coils directly.The UTEC has full capabilities of running the car from 0rpm-redline.I will verify with Jermain what "exactly" this means..

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Chris, Just got off the phone with Aaron from ATS, and he sounded like a very knowledgeable individual in respect to 350Zs.

They are having a dyno day this Saturday, so they are offering 3 pulls for about $40. - Can't miss that. Plan on getting the exhaust installed, and will drive over to meet these guys and get an idea of how much power my car is putting down to the ground.

Just to verify, 350Zs run dynos in 3rd or 4th gear?
Thanks!
5th gear is 1-1 ratio,but most shops do 4th gear..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts